Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 27>
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by SoCalJL SoCalJL wrote:

Wow! The spalted maple in the handle looks amazing. My late father enjoyed the challenge of working with this type of wood on the lathe. Sometimes pieces would fly apart at the very edge of completion. What was the owner’s goal of the complex asymmetrical layering?

It's a challenge working with this type of wood, there is also no way of knowing how the final piece is going to look like because the spalting is so erratic. 

I take no credit for the handle design, I just executed his idea, but the composition was my suggestion. He's a pushblocker, basically he wanted a relatively light blade, similar in speed or slower than his Allround Evolution on the BH, but faster on the Fh and without the hollow feeling.
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2021 at 3:06am
Hipnotic, that no-good Der_Echte at TTD is talking crazy noise that you should be brought before court for making your blades. What is up with that joker?
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2021 at 3:24am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Hipnotic, that no-good Der_Echte at TTD is talking crazy noise that you should be brought before court for making your blades. What is up with that joker?

Yeah, let him sue me, I can count on you as my witness.
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2021 at 6:23pm
There aren't many inner fiber blades with Kiri core out in the market and I really don't know why... They can be very good blades!

Composition: Hinoki / Ayous / Super A-C / Kiri / Super A-C / Ayous / Hinoki
Weight: 82g
Thickness: 5.95mm
Freq.: 1485 Hz
Balance: 1.8cm (very low)

t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2021 at 5:25am
How would you compare ZLC vs super A-C in terms of hardness,feeling and ability to apply spin.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2021 at 5:48pm
S A-C is a denser version of A-C so it' faster and provides a bigger sweetspot, but it's also harder and heavier. I think in terms of hardness S A-C and ZLC are similar, but the weave of ZLC is lighter so it has a bigger hardness to weight ratio. Feeling wise I think ZLC is more numb but also more reactive.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 4:15am
I used to work with guitars but I never worked with violins before, let alone three! A commissioned blade with a Violin composition and a cool custom Cobra Kai logo, as well as some simple repairs on a couple of damaged Violins.

Composition: Ash / Ash / Kiri / Ash / Ash
Weight: 85.3g
Thickness: 5.35mm
Freq.: 1141 Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

Edited by Hipnotic - 01/11/2021 at 4:19am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2021 at 6:39pm
One of my personal favorites, too bad I didn't get to keep it! I must say I don't get any credit for designing this handle, it all came from the owner's mind, I just executed his idea.

Composition: Framiré / Ayous / I-C / Ayous / I-C / Ayous / Framiré
Weight: 84.6g
Thickness: 5.7mm
Freq.: 1230Hz
Balance: 2.9cm (Low)

Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2021 at 7:39pm
How did you measure frequency?
windysummer1 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysummer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2021 at 8:00am
What is headsize, 157*150?
My feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79696
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2021 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

How did you measure frequency?

"1. Download the Advanced Spectrum Analyzer PRO app in Android (by Vuche Labs, it is free)
2. Open app
3. Click on the 3 horizontal lines on the top right
4. Select "Enable Peak Hold"
5. Hit play
6. Bounce the ball on the bare blade a few times
7. Hit pause on the app. Then see frequency with peak amplitude"
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2021 at 8:16am
Originally posted by windysummer1 windysummer1 wrote:

What is headsize, 157*150?

Yes
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

How is Balance measured? 2.9cm from tip of blade or from tip of handle?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

How is Balance measured? 2.9cm from tip of blade or from tip of handle?

I measure balance from the tip of the handle to the center of gravity.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2021 at 4:30pm
What is the ideal location?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2021 at 6:00am
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

What is the ideal location?

That's subjective and depends on the player's preference.

The scale I use is based on some practical examples I made. Highest point is a very heavy blade with really light handles, which is about 5cm, and lowest point is a really light blade with heavy handles, about 1.4cm. The scale is a division of that length:

1.5 - 2.2: Very Low
2.3 - 2.9: Low
3.0 - 3.6: Medium
3.7 - 4.3: High
4.4 - 5.0: Very high

For reference, a 91g Viscaria has a balance of about 2.7cm. Other blades with hollow handles usually have an higher CG, around 3.2cm or more. A lower balance will make the blade feel light in the hand, this is suitable for close to the table play because it allows quick BH/FH transitions. So you can use a heavier blade and it will still feel relatively light. Conversely, a higher balance will make the blade feel heavy. Transitions are slower, but will also create more momentum which leads to more power, so it's more suitable for mid distance play. But again, it all depends on personal preference.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2021 at 4:30am
This one is available, the blade not the cat 

The blade is based on an Acoustic, built with hide glue but I used two thinner Limba medial plies instead of a thicker one, so this is technically a 7 ply.

Composition: Limba / Limba / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Limba / Limba
Weight: 91.8g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1205 Hz
Balance: 2.3cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 3:34am
Lately I've been getting a few requests to make something similar to Butterfy's Liu Shiwen blade which is discontinued. Well, unfortunately I don't work with plain zylon, but this has been my suggestion. An over-sized, relatively fast and high throw blade that retains a nice woody feeling. It's not the same but it does have similar characteristics. This one was made specifically top-heavy as a request by the owner.

Composition: Black Limba / Limba / I-C / Ayous / I-C / Limba / Black Limba
Weight: 89.7g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1290Hz
Balance: 3.7cm (High)

Leftstudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftstudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2021 at 12:13am
Hi,
First of all I think your skill is really fantastic, I really enjoy reading and seeing your products.
Just a question about wood treatment. Some people apply oil to the wood to protect or enhance the quality of the wood - for instance using linseed oil - they say it tightens the wood grain and protect the wood as a sealing layer. Is that true?
What would you recommend to protect and enhance the wood?
Thanks, 
No signature required
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2021 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Leftstudio Leftstudio wrote:

Hi,
First of all I think your skill is really fantastic, I really enjoy reading and seeing your products.
Just a question about wood treatment. Some people apply oil to the wood to protect or enhance the quality of the wood - for instance using linseed oil - they say it tightens the wood grain and protect the wood as a sealing layer. Is that true?
What would you recommend to protect and enhance the wood?
Thanks, 

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend using an oil treatment on the blade face if that's what you are referring to. As for the handle there are different types of oils and some are not recommended. There are penetrating oils which penetrate the pores of the wood and film oils that just form a film on the surface. The problem with penetrating oils, such as the case of linseed oil, is that they take a long time to cure, so you always get a feeling that they are wet. There are some products that are not really oils but a mix of products, that have a faster curing time. For example Tru Oil, originally created as a gun stock finish, but also vastly used as a guitar finish. It has a relatively fast (still days to weeks) curing time and builds up a finish that enhances and seals the wood. The problem with this is that it prevents moisture absorption by the wood, which will make the handle feel slippery if you sweat a lot.

Either way, I don't see any real advantage in doing this on a commercial blade. The "wood" they use is not solid wood but reconstituted wood or fineline. Basically sheets of pre-dyed wood (generally ayous) glued together, so there isn't really a grain to protect or enhance.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 3:33am
The owner of this combi blade was so happy with the first one that he wanted a spare, apparently this one came out even better than the first. Any resemblance to Mima Ito's blade is merely a coincidence Smile 

Composition: Koto / A-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Ash
Weight: 81.8g
Thickness: ~5.65mm
Freq.: ~1485 Hz
Balance: 2.3cm (Low)

Edited by Hipnotic - 01/27/2021 at 3:36am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 6:05am
Another one of my experiments. I had built a similar one that was thicker, that one was fast but also a bit head-heavy so I wanted to make something more controlled and spin oriented. The lower weight and balance point also make it much more comfortable to play.

Composition: Fineline / Glassfiber / Kiri / Glassfiber / Fineline
Weight: 87.6g
Thickness: 6.3mm
Freq.: 1184Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 5:11pm
Good looking blade!
What's the headsize? Regular 157x150?
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 5:46pm
Thanks! Yes, regular 157x150mm.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2021 at 4:02am
Anyone like fish? Awesome fish-scale pattern on these Ako top plies.

Composition: Ako / I-C / Framiré / Kiri / Framiré / I-C / Ako
Weight: 79.6g and 79.8g
Thickness: ~5.65mm
Freq.: 1330 Hz
Balance: 2.5cm (low)

Edited by Hipnotic - 02/03/2021 at 4:06am
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2021 at 12:00pm
Beautifu evenly balanced fish scale patternsl!!! Wish my looks just as good as this one.
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2021 at 4:35pm
Again a nice blade!
Love the looks.

Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2021 at 7:31pm
Wow, amazing job and very attractive (for me ) weight. How do they play?
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2021 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Wow, amazing job and very attractive (for me ) weight. How do they play?

These were custom orders so I didn't get to play with them, but the owner is a member here, maybe he can chime in with a review. My usual Innegra-Outer use Framiré, which is just slightly harder than Limba, some users claimed it reminded them of the old Michael Maze. These were designed to be a little slower, hence the Ako top ply which is a little softer than Limba.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2021 at 5:26am
Thanks dear Hipnotic. I wish there were more reviews about the behavior of your magnificent creations. 
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 27>
  Share Topic