FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 27>
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Thanks dear Hipnotic. I wish there were more reviews about the behavior of your magnificent creations. 

I also wish that, but I can't force people to make reviews. Although I'm getting mostly very positive feedback, some people are just not comfortable writing a review online.
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2021 at 4:58pm
I remember Ross Leidy had a couple standard builds, the Sotto Voce was one of them. I was wondering if you could impose a model that encompasses all what you like in a blade for the greater number of people, a sort or base line.

Many people here like 5 and 7-ply all wood but I am afraid they are not the majority and the composite thing will always be missing to too many. I bet a 5+2 Innerforce style ZLC that presents the speed of a 1400hz (Viscaria speed) 88g blade would be popular. How about building 5 of them and sending them around? You make people pay for shipping and  they have to re-ship to somebody else after 10 days max.

There is a risk associated with the endeavor, one person will be late, another will forget etc...I imagine it's part of the risk of doing business but if you have a veto right on who can and cannot receive one, you might stay in control.

Another solution is to build a number of identical blades and selling them with a serious discount in exchange for a detailed review.

Good luck! (you do not really need any, you have been ripe for success for a while.)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2021 at 6:38pm
I have been thinking of making a small line of blades for a while, maybe 2 or 3 models, 4 or 5 at a time. Besides Viscaria type compositions, my Innegra inner has been the one I've made the most, and it has been very well received. Your suggestion of a faster inner type would also be popular, perhaps something with koto outer. But the problem with all this, is that with all the orders coming in, I simply don't have the time. Not that I'm complaining, on the contrary, but most of my time has been filled with custom orders. 

Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I remember Ross Leidy had a couple standard builds, the Sotto Voce was one of them. I was wondering if you could impose a model that encompasses all what you like in a blade for the greater number of people, a sort or base line.

Many people here like 5 and 7-ply all wood but I am afraid they are not the majority and the composite thing will always be missing to too many. I bet a 5+2 Innerforce style ZLC that presents the speed of a 1400hz (Viscaria speed) 88g blade would be popular. How about building 5 of them and sending them around? You make people pay for shipping and  they have to re-ship to somebody else after 10 days max.

There is a risk associated with the endeavor, one person will be late, another will forget etc...I imagine it's part of the risk of doing business but if you have a veto right on who can and cannot receive one, you might stay in control.

Another solution is to build a number of identical blades and selling them with a serious discount in exchange for a detailed review.

Good luck! (you do not really need any, you have been ripe for success for a while.)

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2021 at 6:34am
This one has the same structure and about the same thickness as the blade from two posts ago, however it uses a thicker outer ply and thinner core. This gives it less speed, more control, more feedback, and a higher top spin arc than the other one, making it perfect for an allround top spin style.

Composition: Fineline / Glassfiber / Kiri / Glassfiber / Fineline
Weight: 86.1g
Thickness: 6.2mm
Freq.: 1162Hz
Balance: 3.3cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2021 at 6:42pm
I'm doing a Giveaway in my Instagram page, if anyone here wants to participate feel free to do it.
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2021 at 11:36am
just mine blades yesterday, I’m having a hard time uploading them, but OMG it’s perfect, the handle is the most comfortable I had ever held , it’s a defensive blade, same size as the JSH, but with outer piles that is fish scales ! Cannot wait to try them out 
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 5:15am
TB ALC evil twin Evil Smile

This one is going to be available in my FS thread.

Composition: Framiré / S A-C / Framiré / Kiri / Framiré / S A-C / Framiré
Weight: 88.8g
Thickness: 5.65mm
Freq.: 1464 Hz
Balance: 3.0 (Med)

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 6:10pm
Bravo Hipnotic. What a beautiful blade. I am curious how much  can you vary with the weight of this particular modal ? Would the framiré feel harder than koto ? 
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 6:30pm

Bravo Hipnotic. What a beautiful blade. I am curious how much  can you vary with the weight of this particular modal ? Would the framiré feel harder than koto ? 

Thanks! Well, my Framiré batch is pretty consistent, so not a lot of variation there. To make it lighter, I could use a lighter core. I remember that this particular core was on the heavy side, almost the same density as Ayous. I could also hollow the handle a bit, this one was solid. To make it heavier I would need to increase the weight of the handle or find a heavier core. So I guess I can make it anywhere between 82/83g and 96/97g.

Framiré is just a tad harder than Limba, but it's also lighter. It feels softer than Koto.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2021 at 4:40am
Another Viscaria type composition, definitely my most requested blade, and for a good reason.

Composition: Koto / A-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Koto
Weight: 90.2g
Thickness: 5.85mm
Freq.: 1464 Hz
Balance: 1.8 (Very Low)

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2021 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

Thanks! Well, my Framiré batch is pretty consistent, so not a lot of variation there. To make it lighter, I could use a lighter core. I remember that this particular core was on the heavy side, almost the same density as Ayous. I could also hollow the handle a bit, this one was solid. To make it heavier I would need to increase the weight of the handle or find a heavier core. So I guess I can make it anywhere between 82/83g and 96/97g.

Framiré is just a tad harder than Limba, but it's also lighter. It feels softer than Koto.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "lighter core"- lighter(less dense) kiri or a different wood? How do you estimate the character of this beautiful creature of yours, faster or slower than TB ALC, which I am quite familiar with? Price?
Thanks
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2021 at 3:11pm

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "lighter core"- lighter(less dense) kiri or a different wood? How do you estimate the character of this beautiful creature of yours, faster or slower than TB ALC, which I am quite familiar with? Price?
Thanks

Lighter as in less dense. Kiri has a big variation in density, I have boards almost as light as Balsa and others almost as heavy as ayous.

It's hard to judge a blade without trying it, but theoretically speed wise it should be similar to the TB ALC but with a slightly higher throw. This one was sold almost immediately so it's no longer available, I can make a similar one but it will require a custom order. We can discuss that in private if your interested.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 4:09am
I don't know why, but I get the feeling these two are about to drop the hottest mixtape of 2021 😎

Composition: Smoked Eucalyptus / Ayous / Glass-Fiber / Kiri / Kiri / Kiri / Glass-Fiber / Ayous / Smoked Eucalyptus
Weight: 87.1 and 87.0g
Thickness: ~5.85mm
Freq.: 1270 Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2021 at 11:37am
I've talked about Diolen fibre before, Diolen is a high tenacity polyester fibre and many manufactures use it as substitute for Arylate or Aramid (even tough they don't call it that) because it also provides a soft feeling. In the pictures we can see two different colors (red and black) but in this case I'm using a plain Diolen fabric, so no carbon is involved in the weave. This plain Diolen fabric is one of the softest I use, besides glass-fiber, so it provides some vibration damping along with a small increase in sweetspot and speed, although less than with ALC or I-C for example. However, it does retain more of a woody feeling and control, so it's a perfect blade for those that like the feel of an outer fiber blade, but without the speed increase that usually accompanies them.

Composition: Koto / Diolen / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Diolen / Koto
Weight: 84.6g
Thickness: 5.85mm
Freq.: 1270 Hz
Balance: 3.0 (Med)

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2021 at 3:49pm
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2021 at 3:59pm

Nice, you are scrutinizing my pictures...

Nothing to solve, the blade is perfectly legal, your technique is flawed. The cloth is 0.25mm thick, you can do the math.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2021 at 4:22pm
I did not mean to attack, just curious. I'll hide the posts after you see this.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2021 at 4:36pm

I did not mean to attack, just curious. I'll hide the posts after you see this.

No offense taken, sorry if I was a bit defensive. No need to hide the posts, full transparency. I've also tried measuring blades like that but it just doesn't work, we are dealing with a precision 0.01mm, so any tiny deviation will translate into a big error. Where does one layer end and the other begins? Sometimes it's not easy to see, especially with a composite layer. Regarding the legality aspect, I only do legal blades. I've had some unusual request but I won't do it if it means the blade will be illegal for competition.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2021 at 4:42pm
It makes sense! 

On a side note I have been looking at the 2 smoked eucalyptus hotties above and they are so classy! I wonder how they'd look with a shiny varnish on top. You prefer a more natural finish maybe? they are very beautiful as is anyway.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2021 at 5:02pm
OK last trolling of the day Big smile:

It is normal that I compare you with Ross Leidy, you are the closest to what he used to do here with a twist: you really know how we think and you play yourself competitively while he is more of an artist. One thing I used to enjoy in his posts was the description of the handle and the woods used to make them. I strongly believe you would add value to your awesome thread by adding that. Also a picture of the inside of the handles before gluing would be great.

Have a great weekend!
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2021 at 6:13pm
I love Ross's work, he was one of my inspirations when I started doing this. But I think we have a different vision, I always prioritize the practicality of things, something I still carry from my Engineering days, while I think Ross puts a big focus on the aesthetics. For example, most of his handle designs are sealed, which enhances the wood, but it also the causes the handle to be slippery. Nowadays I don't do sealed handles unless expressly requested. However, I always seal the blade face and edges, including the Smoked Eucalyptus ones you mentioned, but I try to use the minimum amount possible so it won't change the playing characteristics. 

It's true that I normally don't disclose the woods used in the handles, but that's just because I don't think it's that significant, I will gladly answer if someone asks. Well, not always, I do have a secret or two Smile
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2021 at 2:57am

It is normal that I compare you with Ross Leidy, you are the closest to what he used to do here with a twist: you really know how we think and you play yourself competitively while he is more of an artist.
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

I love Ross's work, he was one of my inspirations when I started doing this. But I think we have a different vision, I always prioritize the practicality of things, something I still carry from my Engineering days, while I think Ross puts a big focus on the aesthetics. For example, most of his handle designs are sealed, which enhances the wood, but it also the causes the handle to be slippery.
You are both right. 

I bought 4 blades from Ross and each of them looked like a jewel. Simply fantastic.

But I also bought some blades from Sérgio and I clearly prefer Sergio`s blades for playing. Thumbs Up
Maybe the reason is totally simple: A player knows better what  a player needs. Big smile
And by the way: his blades are also not really ugly. Wink

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2021 at 4:48am
Thank you for your input Manfred Smile
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2021 at 4:01am
My teammate's new weapon. Full credit to him on the design 😎

Composition: Black Walnut / Ayous / S A-C / Kiri / S A-C / Ayous / Black Walnut
Weight: 89.3g
Thickness: 6.05mm
Freq.: 1420 Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2021 at 3:05am
So, the secret services contacted me saying Ma Long was out there shooting some rockets, and wanted to know what kind of weapon he was using. I told them it was a W968, so they asked if I could make it even more powerful! Well, I told them I could, but a weapon like this will be dangerous in the wrong hands, especially if it flies out and hits someone in the head 😄

Composition: Limba / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 110.2g
Thickness: 7.0mm
Freq.: 1550 Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2021 at 4:56am
Remember that wall I was building? This is it, something to evoke to my Civil Engineering background, a Viscaria type composition that has been my personal blade for some time.

In a previous post I explained how there are some things I can tweak during the building process to make a blade harder and faster, or softer and slower, but keeping the same exact composition. This is where the frequency reading comes in handy, Black Tag Viscarias are known for having a softer feel and a lower frequency peak of about 1380 Hz, and this was exactly what I was going for.

Composition: Koto / A-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Koto
Weight: 85.7g
Thickness: 5.7mm
Freq.: 1378 Hz
Balance: 2.6 cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 3:43am
This is a blade with a typical outer composition, but I used a plain Kevlar fiber to see how it would perform. Compared to ALC or A-C, it feels a bit softer, more dynamic and bouncy because you don't get the extra hardness that comes with having carbon mixed in the weave. It's still a fast blade, a solid OFF, with a medium-low throw and nice control.

Available in my FS thread.

Composition: Koto / Kevlar / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Kevlar / Koto
Weight: 90.0g
Thickness: 5.8mm
Freq.; 1420 Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2021 at 6:57pm
Sometimes I'm asked if I can replicate a blade I built in the past. In most cases the answer is yes, I keep records of all the builds so I can reproduce them in the future if necessary. This was such a case, a blade for a customer that wanted one just like his first.

Composition: Black Limba / Black Limba / I-C / Ayous / I-C / Black Limba / Black Limba
Weight: 87.5g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz
Balance: 4.0cm (High)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 4:12pm
Everyone seems to like the blue stuff so here it is. Koto outer ply with ALC underneath? You know what this is...

Available in my FS Thread.

Composition: Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ALC / Koto
Weight: 89.1g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1400 Hz
Balance: 2.6cm (Low)

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2021 at 4:42pm
maybe my insecurity is kicking in when I am more attracted by that last blade than any other, maybe to enter the SDC world through the safe door, with a known construction. The one with Indian teak is up there too.
There is no limit to your progression it seems, so nice to watch!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 27>
  Share Topic