Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 27>
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2021 at 3:39am
Commissioned blade for short pips.

Composition: Ash / SC / Hinoki / Kiri / Ayous / ALC / Limba
Weight: 90.5g
Thickness: 5.8mm
Freq.: 1421Hz
Balance: 3.2cm (Med)

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Sponsored Links

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2021 at 4:58am
A 3+2 blade with ALC. Stiff, fast and with low trajectory, but a soft touch that provides great control.

Sold.

Composition: Hinoki / ALC / Kiri / ALC / Hinoki
Weight: 80.7g
Thickness: 7.2mm
Freq.: 1570 Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

Edited by Hipnotic - 11/04/2021 at 4:57am
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2021 at 4:59am
Talking about crazy shapes, here's a commissioned blade with Tibhar's old swing shape.

Composition: Hinoki / ALC / WRC / WRC / WRC / ALC / Hinoki
Weight: 90.8g
Thickness: 6.8mm
Freq.: 1400Hz
Balance: 2.1cm (Very Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2021 at 4:15am
Innegra is lightweight synthetic fiber made from polyolefin polypropylene, basically a tough plastic. It won't do much as far as increasing the speed of a blade, on the contrary, when used in its plain form it provides energy dissipation and vibration dampening. So, I thought it would be great to make a defensive blade. In this one I paired with hard Padauk outer layers, so it's still a reasonably fast blade for a modern defender.

Available FS.

Composition: Padauk / Padauk / Innegra / Kiri / Innegra / Padauk / Padauk
Weight: 91.4g
Thickness: 6.0mm
Freq.: 1230Hz
Balance: 3.1cm (Med)

Edited by Hipnotic - 11/08/2021 at 4:18am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2021 at 3:31am
Commissioned asymmetric blade. SDC Ice cream?

Composition: Framiré / I-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ALC / Koto
Weight: 84.5g
Freq.: 1400Hz
Balance: 3.2cm (Med)

Edited by Hipnotic - 11/10/2021 at 3:32am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2021 at 3:50am
One more flag to the collection. I need to make a world map to register the countries I've "visited" 🙂

Composition: Hinoki / Ayous / I-C / Ayous / I-C / Ayous / Hinoki
Weight: 90g
Thickness: 6.05mm
Freq.: 1230Hz

Edited by Hipnotic - 11/12/2021 at 3:52am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2021 at 6:44am
Purely out of curiosity, I wanted to make the thinnest (but still playable) blade possible. So I used hard components, but that would keep the weight still reasonable, 5 layers of Mahogany and 2 of Super-Carbon. Well, I just had to try this one, even if just briefly, so I'm selling it at a discount for anyone who wants to try it as well. This is different than everything out there, it's a very flexible blade, as indicated by the frequency reading, but surprisingly faster than what I was expecting. The throw angle is ridiculously high, which makes blocking near the table pretty awful to be honest, but it's pretty good if you like to spin everything. The feeling is hard to describe, it's obviously a hard blade looking at the composition, but due to the thickness it still feels kind of soft. I've put DEF in the description due to its speed, but it's still a decent offensive blade if you prioritize spin over speed and love monstrous arcs.

Composition: Mahogany / Mahogany / SC / Mahogany / SC / Mahogany / Mahogany
Weight: 92.6g
Thickness: 3.7mm
Freq.: 796Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2021 at 3:56am
I post my successes, so I think it's only fair that I post some of my failures as well. In this case not so much a failure, but the inability to fully comply with the customer's requests. The problem with making "clone" blades is that even commercial blades can have a great variation within the same model. So, achieving the specific feeling the customer has in mind can be a hard task. On top of that I also need to comply with the weight and balance requested, which makes the job even harder.

Here the owner was looking for a soft innerforce ALC style blade, and even though my initial suggestion for this blade was A-C, which is a bit harder than ALC, he still wanted to use the ALC. Still, I misjudged how soft he wanted the blade, and in the end it turned out to be to be too soft and too slow for him. So what happened? Basically the core was too heavy, which constrained the resin application on the fiber to keep the weight in check, making it softer than usual. Lesson learned. He also wanted a Viscaria type handle, and in that regard I think I did not disappoint.

Composition: Limba / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 88.3g
Freq.: 1200Hz
Balance: 3.4cm (Med)

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2021 at 2:11pm
1200Hz is really low for an Innerforce ALC type. What is the head size?
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

1200Hz is really low for an Innerforce ALC type. What is the head size?

Standard 150x157mm. 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2021 at 7:29pm
Never expected the resin to have such an impact. Good to know.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2021 at 3:22am

Never expected the resin to have such an impact. Good to know.

Not only the saturation of the fiber, but also the weight of the core. A heavier core means a lower moment of inertia, which brings the stiffness down. I have made with balsa cores, not much thicker than this, but in the 1400Hz range. 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2021 at 7:27am
Good to know.

How much more would the finished blade have weighed if you were to apply the resin in the usual amount?

What would you have changed if you had a second chance?

Edited by zeio - 11/18/2021 at 7:27am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2021 at 9:17am

Good to know.

How much more would the finished blade have weighed if you were to apply the resin in the usual amount?

What would you have changed if you had a second chance?

A couple of grams at most. But at the time I sort off had my hands tied because I only had relatively heavy cores, this particular one is about 410 kg/m3 which is a bit higher than the 380 kg/m3 average. In retrospect I could've decreased the thickness of the outer plies and increase the core, that would've given it a bit more stiffness and speed. But I already built another with a lighter core, 1300hz and 6.6g lighter than this one. It's the blade I'm using now. 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2021 at 10:53pm
Interesting. Generally speaking, how practical/flexible/cost effective would it be to use synthetic fiber with a different fineness/fabric weight?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2021 at 3:17am
I do that for other fibers. Szlc and zlc differ in weave pattern and weight. I also have two varieties of Kevlar-carbon, Glassfiber and carbon. But for ALC I only have one. 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2021 at 4:01am
Does that make ALC "harder" to work with, with more constraints and considerations?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2021 at 9:20am
ALC is one of the easiest to work with. The cut is clean so not much cleaning up is needed to get a good finish. Kevlar is much harder and zylon is the devil's spawn. But that's not what you meant. These fibers are what they are, there is a certain kind of feel people expect when using them, so if a different feel is desired then the best option is to chose a different fiber. Playing with the amount and type of resin takes some of the predictability away, and the result might not be good. That's what I learnt from this blade. In terms of hardness for the hybrid fibers, it goes somewhat like this: I-C < ALC < A-C < ZLC < S A-C < SZLC. And we still have all the plain fibers to throw into the mix. I think we have plenty of options. 
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2021 at 4:14am
Asymmetric blade, Viscaria structure but with an inner side.

Composition: Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / ALC / Ayous / Koto
Weight: 84.1g
Freq.: 1356Hz
Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

Asymmetric blade, Viscaria structure but with an inner side.

Composition: Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / ALC / Ayous / Koto
Weight: 84.1g
Freq.: 1356Hz

Is this FS?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 4:13am
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

Is this FS?

Sorry, it's not. It was a custom order.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2021 at 4:02am
What can I say about this one? Basically it's like a IF ZLC on steroids...

Available FS.

Composition: Smoked Eucalyptus / Ayous / SZC / Ayous / SZC / Ayous / Smoked Eucalyptus
Weight: 90.4g
Thickness: 5.55mm
Freq.: 1350Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

Edited by Hipnotic - 11/22/2021 at 4:09am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2021 at 3:43am
I don't know why, but my cat loved this one 😁

Composition: Limba / TC / Limba / Ayous / TC / Ayous / Mahogany
Weight: 88.9g
Thickness: 5.65mm
Freq.: 1315Hz

edgaralvarx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgaralvarx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2021 at 4:29am
[QUOTE = Kolev] Bonito aspecto, peso ... y todo. ¿Cuál es su sugerencia OFF, OFF -? [/ QUOTE]

Hello everyone, I'm thinking of signing up for the new tournament https://hellopadelacademy.com/ someone has played this tournament? Do you know how is the organization?
edgar
edgaralvarx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgaralvarx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2021 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Lovely look, weight ...and everything. What is your suggestion OFF, OFF-?

Hello everyone, I'm thinking of signing up for the new tournament hellopadelacademy.com someone has played this tournament? Do you know how is the organization?
edgar
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2021 at 3:42am
Composition: Koto / A-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Ash
Weight: 80.2g
Thickness: 5.7mm
Freq.: 1485Hz
Balance: 3.0 (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2021 at 11:32am
Western Red Cedar is considered a nice alternative to Hinoki, but it's not exactly the same, not quite as dynamic. In result, this blade came out a little slower than what I was expecting. Still, the feeling is exceptional, a clear feedback without annoying vibrations. It's relatively stiff with a medium arc, but soft, which makes it ideal for controlled game near the table.

Available FS.

Composition: WRC / WRC / WRC
Weight: 89.0g
Thickness: 7.95mm
Freq.: 1350 Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2021 at 4:45am
Another Katana 🙂

Composition: Hinoki / ALC / Kiri / ALC / Hinoki
Weight: 86.6g
Thickness: 7.1mm
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 3:35am
Make 5 plies great again!

Composition: Limba / Limba / Ayous / Limba / Limba
Weight: 87.6g
Freq.: 1185Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 3:39am
Based on a Hugo Hal, a fast attacking blade with a relatively soft feeling.

Available FS.

Composition: Koto / Aramid / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid / Koto
Weight: 90.0g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Balance: 2.9cm (Med/Low)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 27>
  Share Topic