Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 27>
Author
Catenaccio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catenaccio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

Originally posted by Catenaccio Catenaccio wrote:

Very beautiful handle!

I have a question regarding the frequency of this blade. My Acoustic and my SDC Acoustic clone are around 1,200 Hz. Is 1,270h Hz (a) within normal variation, (b) due to a thicker core, or (c) due to another reason? Thanks!

Thanks!

There are several factors that affect the frequency reading, but simple put, this reading it's just an indication of the stiffness of the blade. The variable that most affects stiffness is the total thickness of the blade, and this one is 5.9mm while yours is 5.6mm. The core has the same thickness, but we reduced the medial plies because Sycamore is harder than Limba.

Thanks for the explanation. Does this mean that you now have access to Limba plies with a thickness of > 0.6mm?
Sponsored Links

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2022 at 6:49pm

Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

Very beautiful handle!

I have a question regarding the frequency of this blade. My Acoustic and my SDC Acoustic clone are around 1,200 Hz. Is 1,270h Hz (a) within normal variation, (b) due to a thicker core, or (c) due to another reason? Thanks!

Thanks!

There are several factors that affect the frequency reading, but simple put, this reading it's just an indication of the stiffness of the blade. The variable that most affects stiffness is the total thickness of the blade, and this one is 5.9mm while yours is 5.6mm. The core has the same thickness, but we reduced the medial plies because Sycamore is harder than Limba.

Thanks for the explanation. Does this mean that you now have access to Limba plies with a thickness of > 0.6mm?

Yes I do, I've been using it for a while actually. 
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Catenaccio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catenaccio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2022 at 3:18am
Nice! I will add a comment to my review to reflect this.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2022 at 7:59am

Nice! I will add a comment to my review to reflect this.

Nice, thank you.
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2022 at 3:58am
Outer fiber blades with Ayous cores aren't really that common on the market. Adding to that we have a mixture of straight and conical handle with a squarish profile and the "Dicon" slots. The forehand side has a rounded bevel that better fits the thumb, while the backhand side as a normal bevel that follows the index finger position.

Available FS.

- Limba / AxC / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / AxC / Limba
- 88.5g
- 5.8mm
- 157x150mm
- ST/CON (102x28-30x22.5mm)
- 1400Hz
- Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2023 at 4:03am
Starting the year with something new: S-ALC. Compared to regular ALC, it has a different weave pattern, all the blue stuff is placed horizontally while all the carbon is placed vertically, which results in more stiffness but with more ball penetration. In terms of playing properties that translates into a longer and lower trajectory with a softer feel.

Available FS

- Limba / S-ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / S-ALC / Limba
- 88.1g
- 6.0mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x25-23mm)
- 1421Hz
- Balance: 2.1cm (Very Low)

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2023 at 10:18am
Where to place orders?

What do you think of a Mazunov with a regular head size and a flatter handle?  Can send you the specs if you tell me where to order....
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2023 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Where to place orders?

What do you think of a Mazunov with a regular head size and a flatter handle?  Can send you the specs if you tell me where to order....

I see you figured it out, I will reply asap.
Bo_Bo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo_Bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2023 at 11:56am
Hello,

Could you explain the frequency? What is the impact of frequency on the performance/characteristics of the blade?

I have read about frequency of blades but this is the first time I saw it indicated for handmade.

Thanks.
wiktor145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote wiktor145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2023 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Bo_Bo Bo_Bo wrote:

Hello,

Could you explain the frequency? What is the impact of frequency on the performance/characteristics of the blade?

I have read about frequency of blades but this is the first time I saw it indicated for handmade.

Thanks.

https://www.sdcttblades.com/nerdy-stuff/frequency-reading-hz
Hipnotic already has it explained on his page :)
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2023 at 7:03am
Carbonado style composition with a Spruce outer ply.

Available FS.

- Spruce / TC160 / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / TC160 / Spruce
- 87.7g
- 6.35mm
- 161x150mm
- CS (82x24.5x33mm)
- 1550Hz
- Balance: 4.1cm

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2023 at 5:23am
This is a demanding blade. On soft impact it behaves like what you'd expect from a inner style composition, the feeling is soft and the blade is not very responsive. However, on hard impact the extra stiffness given by the S-AxC comes to life, and despite retaining a soft feeling, the responsiveness of the blade is highly increased, almost resembling an outer fiber blade. This type of behavior on a blade can be hard to control, but it can also be deadly in the right hands.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / S-AxC / Ayous / S-AxC / Ayous / Limba
- 93.4g
- 5.85mm
- 157x150mm
- ST/CON (102x28-30x24mm)
- 1313Hz
- Balance: 3.2cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2023 at 3:47am
Okoume is usually not considered an exotic wood, but this kind of flaming pattern is really hard to find. In terms of properties it's very similar to Limba. The blade has a soft feeling and tremendous feedback, a great weapon for controlled looping with medium / medium-soft rubbers. The handle is made with exotic woods: Zebrano, Wenge and Padauk.

Available FS.

- Okoume / Cypress / Kiri / Cypress / Okoume
- 85.3g
- 6.05mm
- 157x150mm
- STSQ (102x28.5x22.5mm)
- 1250Hz
- Balance: 2.4cm (Low)

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2023 at 3:41pm
That's possibly one of the top 3 prettiest handles you ever made.

I grew up 1/2 of my childhood in Gabon (Central Africa) where Okoume is one of the big money makers, I had no idea it could give such good looking veneers, it is mostly used to produce plywood over there.

Edited by stiltt - 01/23/2023 at 3:41pm
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2023 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

That's possibly one of the top 3 prettiest handles you ever made.

I grew up 1/2 of my childhood in Gabon (Central Africa) where Okoume is one of the big money makers, I had no idea it could give such good looking veneers, it is mostly used to produce plywood over there.

Thanks, although the photo really doesn't do it justice. This color scheme is hard to photograph, it looks better in person. But to be honest, I don't think it's even in the top 10 for me, this is really not my style. In order to make something like this I must detach from my personal preferences and think about what others might like.

Yes, Okoume is vastly used to produce cheap plywood, I didn't want to use that word but there's really nothing wrong with it, Limba is cheap too. What matters are the properties of the wood, and they are very appealing for TT blades.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2023 at 7:47am
The Butterfly JSH is a very popular defensive blade, but it was discontinued. I've had many requests for this composition, but until now I wasn't able to make it because it uses a particular combination of woods that are hard to find. Anybody who has used it knows that it's fast for a defensive blade, the only thing defensive about it is the large head size, and it delivers a solid, almost hard touch. People normally associate that hard touch with the outer ply, which is not true. Having worked, and removed the top ply of a JSH, I got to see what was inside. The top ply is in fact relatively soft, the "secret" is a thick Koto medial layer. For the outer ply on this one I chose American Chestnut, which is slightly softer than Limba.

Available FS.

- Chestnut / Koto / Ayous / Koto / Chestnut
- 98.0g
- 5.95mm
- 163x157mm
- ST (102x28.5x23mm)
- 1080Hz
- Balance: 3.4cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2023 at 3:36am
Very stiff blade with a compact head size, for aggressive play near the table.

Available FS.

- Poplar / Cypress / TC160 / Kiri / TC160 / Cypress / Poplar
- 85.0g
- 7.25mm
- 158x150mm
- CS (82x24.0x33mm)
- 1916Hz
- Balance: 3.6cm

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2023 at 3:48am
This is an outer fiber blade with a Etimoe outer layer. Etimoe has crisp feeling and it's a nice alternative to Koto (not that it really needs one). Unlike most outer fiber blades, this one wasn't designed for more speed, but to encompass some of the advantages of a typical outer fiber blade like the crisp and direct feeling, bigger sweetspot, decreased vibrations and higher predictability, without the speed increase which generally comes along with it.

Available FS.

- Etimoe / Innegra / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Innegra / Etimoe
- 83.4g
- 6.2mm
- 157x150mm
- ST/CON (102x28-30x24mm)
- 1227Hz
- Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2023 at 3:42am
MM ALC composition with a slightly larger head size. The completely random handle pattern makes this one a truly unique blade and impossible to fully replicate.

Available FS.

- Limba / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ALC / Limba
- 85.7g
- 6.05mm
- 158x152mm
- ST (102x28x23mm)
- 1356Hz
- Balance: 2.5cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2023 at 4:24am
Inner fiber blade with a thick core that provides extra stiffness, and a relatively hard Smoked Eucalyptus outer ply for that crisp and direct feel. On the handle we have various exotic woods such as Zebrano, Wenge, Ebony, Padauk and Purple Heart.

Available FS.

- Smoked Eucalyptus / Ayous / I-C / Kiri / I-C / Ayous / Smoked Eucalyptus
e 88.1g
- 6.15mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x25-23mm)
- 1380Hz
- Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

Edited by Hipnotic - 03/06/2023 at 4:25am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2023 at 3:44am
This is another case where the frequency reading is misleading. The 1250Hz value would suggest a little faster blade, but the core is so light, that it doesn't have the mass to support higher speeds. However, that extra stiffness helps with the stability of the blade, and makes it a little better at blocking than other blades in this speed class. The handle is made from natural cork and Wenge wood.

Available FS.

- Framiré / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / Framiré
- 67.0g
- 6.15mm
- 157x150mm
- ST (102x28x23mm)
- 1250Hz
- Balance: 2.9cm (Low/Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2023 at 5:00am
Typical HL5 composition but with a slightly thicker core, but not as thick as the HL5X.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / AC# / Ayous / AC# / Ayous / Limba
- 91.2g
- 5.95mm
- 158x150mm
- ST (101x28x23mm)
- 1356Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2023 at 4:06am
The core is probably the most important part of a blade, it affects feeling, stability and power. A dense core will provide more of these features, but the downside is the extra weight. Well, not everyone likes light blades, so here I've used the densest Ayous cores I have. The extra mass on the core also brings the frequency down, so don't be fooled, they are very powerful for this type of composition. There are two of these old school looking blades for sale, you can have just one or the matching pair.

Edit: only one left! 

- Limba / Limba / Ayous / Limba / Limba
- 98.0g
- 5.8mm
- 154x150mm
- CON (102l x 28-30w x 27-24h)mm
- 1205Hz
- Balance: 2.2cm (Low / Very Low)

Edited by Hipnotic - 03/27/2023 at 10:55am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2023 at 7:44am
An Off- blade with a woody feeling and a loud sound.

Available FS.

- Limba / Spectra / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / Spectra / Limba
- 88.0g
- 6.0mm
- 157x150mm
- ST (101x28x23.5mm)
- 1315Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2023 at 3:48am
Presenting a new fiber: Izanas-Carbon. Izanas, just like Spectra, is a UHMWPE (Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene), but here it is combined with carbon to offer more speed and a bigger sweetspot, while keeping a low weight. Playing wise it offers a crisp, but relatively soft touch, something between ALC and ZLC.

Available FS.

- Koto / IZ-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / IZ-C / Koto
- 89.5g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x25-23mm)
- 1442Hz
- Balance: 2.1cm (Very Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2023 at 7:19am
A relatively thin 7 ply blade, with a thick horizontal core and thinner outer layers, not usual for this type of blade. Not a very fast blade, but good stability and sweetspot for its speed class.

Available FS.

- Okume / 5x Ayous / Okume
- 85.3g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x24mm)
- 1076Hz
- Balance: 2.6cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2023 at 4:51am
An Asymmetry blade with a W968 forehand side and a crispy Koto/SALC backhand.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / Ayous / SALC / Koto
- 91.3g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x25-23mm)
- 1380Hz
- Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2023 at 2:23am
This is an attempt to make an all-wood version of a TB ALC, so it has the same basic construction, except for a thin layer of Maple wood instead of ALC, using only epoxy glue. The feeling is crisp and slightly hard, with a medium low trajectory, most suited for close to the table play.

Available FS.

- Koto / Maple / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Maple / Koto
- 85.5g
- 5.8mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (102x25-23mm)
-1291Hz
- Balance: 2.6cm (Low)

kloblivioner View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kloblivioner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2023 at 1:07pm
Hello Sergio, Is my understanding correct ?
lower the balance , more easy it is do flicks, easier for the hand to stay in a same position and also change finger positions during BH FH transition.

Essentially lower balance gives better flexibility in grip positions?

Cheers
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2023 at 5:01pm
Yes, the center of gravity is closer to your wrist, so your assumption is correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 27>
  Share Topic