FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Japanese to Chinese equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chops View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese to Chinese equipment
    Posted: 11/24/2006 at 9:35am
Hello People

I can see that my current rubbers are starting to wearing out and it's time to change them.

My current setup:
Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tibhar Torpedo (max)
BH: Butterfly Catapult (max)

I have always wanted to try playing with chinese euipment, but I don't know how the change would be. I had thinked about this setup:

Blade: Stiga Energy Wood WRB
FH: DHS Skyline 3 (2.2)
BH: DHS Skyline 3 (2.2)

What would be different?

Sponsored Links

sunflex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2006 at 10:19am

the speed and the spin duhh

transmed999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transmed999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2006 at 10:36am

Hi Chops,

Chinese rubbers are generally less bouncier than japanese/european rubbers. I find they are good for a more "horizontal style" forehand looping game. I find it's easier to counter loop in heavy topspin rallies. It's easier to loop a heavy back spin chop with a forward and horizontal action. With Japanese/European rubbers you tend to need to loop with a more upward motion to counter the heavy spin. With the Chinese rubbers i find it's relatively easier to drop the ball short over the net when receiving service (b'cos it's less bouncier).

Chinese rubbers are generally a little more heavier than Japanese/European rubbers. Personally, I would be only using the DHS Skyline on the forehand and stick with your Butterfly Catapult on the backhand b'cos of two reasons: 1) With skyline on both sides you will probably find the overall weight of the blade to be quite alot heavy 2) with the Skyline on the backhand "punching" the ball will require a little more effort compared to the catapult - if you like to punch your backhand then the Skyline may not be suitable.

What you will find is that the top chinese players tend to use a Chinese rubber (H2, H3, Skyline etc) on their forehand and a japanese/european rubber on the backhand as their setup eg. Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Kong Linghui, Liu Gioulang (when he was playing).

I am currently using the Stiga Clipper CR blade with the H3 on the forehand and the Joola Tango on the backhand and find this combo quite good. I have tried the H3 on both sides and find the setup too heavy and it did not suit my backhand b'cos i like to punch my backhand as well as loop (the tango allows me to do both relatively more easier).

Hope the comments help.

chops View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2006 at 10:52am
Thanks for your reply transmed999
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2006 at 11:43am
what's your style? chops
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
chops View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2006 at 4:48pm
I think I play a little bit vario offensive. I like a game with a lot of tempo. In a typical loopduel I like to finish it with a hard smash or some loopdrive with my forehand or backhand. I prefer both.

My defensive game is a little bit more connected with my oppenents serve. If he serves short I play passive and wait for the right momement to open. But typically I fail if he is sending the ball short over all the time, I think I get a little bit frustrated.

Service is also a very important thing for my game. I almost only serve with my forehand. I try to serve varied: The amount of spin, which spin it is, the speed and the lenght of the serve (short or long)

Hmm I think I have got it all, hope it is good enough.
waldiii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2006 at 2:45pm
don't waste your money. chines rubbers can not be compared against japans equipment.
Blade: KLS
FH: Bryce
BH: Nittaku hammand
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2006 at 6:01pm
You wont find any chinese with the speed of glued up Torpedo but the new non sticky softer sponge versions like Skyline, Focus, Inspirit and Saviga are quite fast and spinny.  They are also lighter than Torpedo.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2006 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by waldiii waldiii wrote:

don't waste your money. chines rubbers can not be compared against japans equipment.

i wonder why the japanese aren't beating the chinese
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
chinamike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinamike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 12:17am
I'm using the energy wood right now with mark v on FH and mendo energy on BH... I find it quite slow, but at the same time.. I've only been playing a few years (with that set-up) and would consider myself at an intermediate level... I am actually looking to change to your current set-up... have you tried the ma lin with the H3s on both sides? let me know... thanks..
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 12:24am
h3 would be slower tehn mark v on most strokes without glue
waldiii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 4:45am

Originally posted by 7homuz 7homuz wrote:

i wonder why the japanese aren't beating the chinese

That is not because of equipment quality. It is for player's quality.  As you now the most famous players in china are plying with Japanese equipments.  

Blade: KLS
FH: Bryce
BH: Nittaku hammand
wkhz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkhz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 10:52am

That is not because of equipment quality. It is for player's quality.  As you now the most famous players in china are plying with Japanese equipments.  

That's not really true.

Almost all top Chinese players use Chinese rubbers on FH, and a lot of them use Japanese rubbers on BH.

pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 2:21pm

...most famous players in china are plying with Japanese equipments...

I like to hear you mention a few of them .....
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 8:58pm
i'll believe ya when i see proof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 9:45pm
zhang yining. haha. wang is using nodias on his backhand.
right hander

nothing without labour
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2006 at 12:07am
many of the chnz pros uses bty rubbers on bh as a matter of fact. and most use chnz rubber on fh. you can't say one rubber type is better then another. that was my point
chops View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2006 at 2:13pm
Greetings

Anyone know how much stiga energy wood + hurricane 3 (2.2) + Sriver EL (2.1) would weight about?
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2006 at 2:32pm
sorta of heavy that is the combo i have now except its sriver L max on the bh, i have a energy wood if you want to buy it with h3 national ill give a good price pm me
powerplay.de View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powerplay.de Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2006 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by chops chops wrote:

Greetings

Anyone know how much stiga energy wood + hurricane 3 (2.2) + Sriver EL (2.1) would weight about?

it depends. Energy wood varies from 80g to 95g. My old H3 was 46g (quite light version)cutted to Primorac Carbon. Sriver EL 2.1 is average 40g - 44g cutted. So the overall weight is between 165g to 190g (worst case).
BT777, Ishlion, U2 Hinoki, Baum Senso, TBS
T05
T05
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2006 at 4:58pm

Sounds about rigtht.  I'd say 180g +/- 5g with a 90% confidence interval.

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
ttkenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 3:23pm

I agree with most of the comments posted about Chinese rubbers.  I used to use Chinese rubber all the time and these are the observed characteristics.

Chinese rubber tends to be be more tacky surface and less bouncy.  It is good for serves and the flat hitting/horizontal attack game.  The ball travels back very differently from Jap rubbers that tend to arch more.  Many upper level players that I have played normally use Japanese rubbers whereas the lower level players use Chinese rubbers (just an observation so don't start a dispute on this).  I do notice that some of the players that use higher quality chinese rubbers like H3 give those players a much harder time due to the different trajectory that the Chinese rubbers provide on the return attack and counterloops. 

Chinese rubbers, due to the tacky surface (most but not all Chinese rubbers), make this "cracking" sound when hit hard or medium speed (more like clunking sound).  Chinese rubber is almost always cheaper and the quality control and consistency of the rubbers are questionable so you may or may not get the same type of play with the identical type of rubber and sponge (for the exception of the national and provincal versions). 

As of late, the Chinese rubbers have "gotten with the program" and stepped up the quality of the rubbers and are getting closer to matching the Japanese rubbers but the consistency still have not been resolved.  This may be due to the fact that there are many "fake" and "imitation" versions floating around as well.  I am currently using Butterfly rubber due to consistency but am looking at trying the newer Chinese rubbers to see if they in fact have improved in quality and consistency due to the lower prices. 

Just my 2 cents.

Kenny

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 10:38pm
most beginners start with chinese rubber cause chinese rubber are easier to control.
right hander

nothing without labour
ttkenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2006 at 11:36pm
Also because it is cheaper. Chinese rubber should be a good beginner's rubber due to price. Agreed that control is good for starters.
Kenny
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 9:03am
Yeah, but I would tell a beginner to avoid the standard tacky types until they get proficient at reading spin.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic