Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dignics 05: Long term review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dignics 05: Long term review
    Posted: 10/14/2019 at 9:40am
About the reviewer: A two-winged looper, loop-driving a little bit more than looping on the FH. I do not have an official USATT rating, but back when I was in the US a few years ago, I could defeat ~2000 rated players at The Topspin but could not pull off a win against ~2200 rated players.

Equipment:
Played with T05/T64 for a few years, them switched to H3N/T64 for 3 years. I got a test-sheet of Dignics from my friend in Tokyo, Red Max. There was no difference between the test sheet and the commercial one, except that the test sheet came in unmarked packaging.
Over the past 6 years, I have used a Double Day Valiant ZLC/ALC and the review was done using the same blade. I own 3 of these blades (all identical, 89g) and have T64 Black on BH ALC and Dignics 05 Red on FH ZLC.

Weight: 70g uncut, cut to BTY head 47g.
Topsheet grip: Very good, best among Euro/Japan rubbers.
Topsheet hardness: Medium, harder than Tenergy 05.
Overall bounciness: Low on soft touches, very high on full impact.

Detailed review:
In my opinion, this is hands down the best Euro/Jap rubber on the market today for aggressive looping, while still maintaining a high level of control.
The ball does not skid off the topsheet at closed angles when driving, like it does with T05.
Neither do you have to use 100% power like H3N to get a blazing shot.
On low gears this rubber is 10% faster than H3N and probably 5% slower at the highest gear. The advantage is that it is quite easy to reach the highest gear and it does not bottom out like T05 on drives against underspin.

Comparison to boosted H3N:
Marginally less control in short game. Retains the sharp trajectory which is possible while driving against underspin like H3N. Has enough support to counter-drive through fast topspins, but not as much as a 40 degree H3N.

Comparison to T05:
Less bouncy in the short game, especially when less spin is involved. Short no-spin game was always difficult for me with T05. More grip, which makes is easier to lift heavy underspin and drive through lighter underspin. Faster at highest gear, especially when the sponge is fully involved.

Lifespan:
I have used it for more than 2 months now, probably around 120 hrs. Most of it has been training with a lot of looping both ways. Amazingly, the topsheet is still full of life and I could get another 120 hrs from it. The sponge has become a bit lifeless, but it still plays better than an MX-P does after 2 weeks.
In comparison, the T64 which I use on the BH has started disintegrating with a couple of small holes near the top quadrant and the edge chipped off. D05 is very resilient to chipping off and there is not a single tear anywhere on the topsheet.

Is it worth it?
Its probably a bit too hard for the BH, especially on a carbon blade. After a month, its become harder than it started out, so I don't know the longetivity on the BH.
On FH one can easily use it without much worry even if it gets harder than its already stated 39 degree sponge. Think of a 1 week old, well boosted H3N 39. Thats how this rubber plays after 1 month when it gets a bit harder (which is perfect).

Who will love it?
People who use a boosted H3N 39 (but hate the hassle of boosting), have tried everything ESN and given up beacuse of the instability in brush looping whenever the topsheet is involved. People using 40-41 degree might find it a bit softish, especially the feel of impact when loop-driving.
The cost turns out to be the same as using 3 sheets of commercial + time wasted cursing the gods when the boost starts dying after 10-12 days.

Who won't like it?
People who are used to T64/80's short strokes. With some getting used to, T05 users may start liking it.

It comes out cheaper to use than T05 or boosted H3N, both of which are already the best price/performance rubbers in my opinion.

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 10/14/2019 at 10:12am
Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2019 at 10:24am
"The cost turns out to be the same as using 3 sheets of commercial + time wasted cursing the gods when the boost starts dying after 10-12 days."

3 to 1 is a high ratio, but i think the actual ratio for N.A. market is even higher.  for people with money only

vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2019 at 12:08pm
You can buy from prott.vip for US$72 which is about 2x of H3 Provincial. 

It's interesting I'm exactly that person OP described. I used to use H3 Provincial but now moved on to D05 because I couldn't stand the hassle of reboosting every once in a while. So far I'm liking the D05. 

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2019 at 2:46pm
not that it matters for your choice but the commercial H3Neo is 22USD less 30% volume discount st TT11

Edited by tom - 10/14/2019 at 2:47pm
guni4you View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guni4you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2019 at 3:26pm
is D05 better than tenergy 05 hard?
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

It's interesting I'm exactly that person OP described. I used to use H3 Provincial but now moved on to D05 because I couldn't stand the hassle of reboosting every once in a while. So far I'm liking the D05. 

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2019 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by guni4you guni4you wrote:

is D05 better than tenergy 05 hard?

I much prefer Tenergy 05 Hard. The amount of control you get, while still being able to produce enormous spin and speed is awesome. T05 is much too bouncy, and Dignics is a little too fast, at least for my backhand. I do agree with OP that you will still have to deal with that ball slippage that can make routine loops go into the net, especially as you stray further from the table. Also, even though it's listed at 43 degrees, it does not feel nearly that hard, and I felt the same way toward Dignics. Both feel softer than Provincial H3 39*, and are easier to play with.  
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2019 at 9:47pm

Thats funny, I went exactly the opposite way. ESN -> Tenergy -> Dignics -> Hurricane. lol Dignics is the reason I decided to give H3 a try. Dignics is awesome at first, the topsheet is super Durable. However, after a few months the sponge dies even though the topsheet still looks brand new. When the sponge dies, I tried giving it a boost, but it didn't really help much. After the sponge dies, it just becomes a total brick. I didn't wanna play 80 bucks every 2 to 3 months. It's just too expensive. In Vietnam, I can get commercial H3 NEO for like 17 bucks and H3 Provincial orange sponge for like $32. I've been using Reviver Phoenix booster, its not that expensive. Yes, Dignics is really a great rubber. It just costs too damn much!

Edited by ericd937 - 10/14/2019 at 10:06pm
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2019 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Thats funny, I went exactly the opposite way. ESN -> Tenergy -> Dignics -> Hurricane. lol Dignics is the reason I decided to give H3 a try. Dignics is awesome at first, the topsheet is super Durable. However, after a few months the sponge dies even though the topsheet still looks brand new. When the sponge dies, I tried giving it a boost, but it didn't really help much. After the sponge dies, it just becomes a total brick. I didn't wanna play 80 bucks every 2 to 3 months. It's just too expensive. In Vietnam, I can get commercial H3 NEO for like 17 bucks and H3 Provincial orange sponge for like $32. I've been using Reviver Phoenix booster, its not that expensive. Yes, Dignics is really a great rubber. It just costs too damn much!

Ya, I personally loved using H3 paired with my Acoustic. Boosting is just too much of a hassle for me in the long run and your rubber characteristics change as your booster efrect fade away. There's always this nagging thought when you aren't performing well that perhaps it's booster effect wearing off.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 2:50am
I've been using D05 since last Spring, but only on my BH.  Perhaps because it's BH only, I haven't had any problems with the sponge dying yet.  I will say that it appears to last about twice as long as T05, which is what I used previously.

BTW, I like T05H for the FH a lot, but I won't use it because all Tenergy sheets lose grip so badly in humid conditions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic