Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

A composite blade for Tenergy and short pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yagorkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yagorkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A composite blade for Tenergy and short pips
    Posted: 11/10/2019 at 3:53pm
Hi,

I'm asking for a suggestion. What composite blade (preferably by Butterfly or TSP) would you recommend for Tenergy 05 on the forehand and Spectol 21 on the backhand? I'm currently using TSP SWAT Power which is a very nice blade for this combination of rubbers but I feel that all-wooden blades don't really match the new ball well (we usually play with DHS D40+ here in Russia). There were some pros here (namely Maxim Maximov and Denis Gavrilov) who used Gergely with these rubbers but I'm not sure if it's relevant now. I really liked Avalox P700 with the celluloid ball if it matters.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Best,
Egor

Edited by Yagorkin - 11/10/2019 at 3:54pm
Sponsored Links

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 12:59am
In my opinion, Spectol (all variations) is better for the forehand side because of its vertical pimple alignment. Spinpips, which has horizontal pimple alignment, is better for backhand. I personally had a hard time playing vertically aligned pimples on backhand. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 2:31pm
Viscaria works with everything.  Seriously.  It does.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 4:52pm
Tsp hino carbon or primorac carbon
Nuise View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 5:53pm
ZJK SZLC, Nittaku Acoustic Carbon, Viscaria, Stiga Carbonado 45. All of these are good with Tenergy FH and SP on BH. I too agree that horizontal pips are better suited for SP on BH.
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 5:25am
I would agree that the Viscaria or one of the many blades of the same composition work very well with SP. I think the Koto is hard enough for the short pips, whilst still working for the majority of styles with inverted.
I think harder, carbon or 7 ply wood blades work best for short pips, but I don't get on with these for inverted and I prefer limber/ALC for inverted, but this is not great for short pips. The Koto/ALC seems to work for both with very little compromise.

On the subject of horizontal pips, in theory I get why they would be better for BH, but having tried both Hexer Pips Force and regular Hexer pips, in both horizontal and vertical alignment, side by side, on identical blades, in practice the difference is negligible at best. 
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 8:27am

Primorac Carbon

malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2019 at 5:10pm
hey, i am using the same rubbers and currently i play with  the Timo Boll ZLC. I really love it for my backhand with spectol 21. In forehand is quite good but a bit slower than Mizutani SZLC i tried and loved it for my forehand. I think koto outer ply suits me better.. if i find a blade a bit faster with koto may i give it a try..
My level is high if you consider i got paid to play..
Icecream AZX,T05,Spectol21
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2019 at 7:41pm
Thats interesting how most of you say horizontal aligned pips is better for BH. I thought it was the opposite and most professionals use vertical on the BH (Tang Peng flarestorm 2, Mima Ito Moristo SP just to name a couple). I suppose it depends what style you play with the short pips. However, IMO if u want to spin then inverted rubbers are much better than SP for this haha.
Yagorkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yagorkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2021 at 5:50pm
A small update to this topic. I struggled to find a proper composite blade for this rubber combination. A thicker Clipper-like blade is still the most appropriate option. T05 doesn't really work well with hinoki-carbon blades, and koto-ALC blades aren't a good match for SP. However, it's nice vice versa. As for pimple orientation, I would say that smaller vertically aligned pips (Spectol) are more suited for the BH while larger horizontally aligned ones (802-40) are more suited for the FH. There might be some exceptions but it's a personal preference. For instance, I never liked Clippa on my BH even though it has vertical pips but I could easily use regular 802 both on my FH and BH.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2021 at 6:56pm
I have the exact opposite experience with T05 on hinoki carbon blades. It works grear imho
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2021 at 7:05pm
Hi Yagorkin. You have to find out if your BH or FH has more priority for your type of game and based on that you have to search  for the "perfect" match. There will always be a compromise to make
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2021 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Yagorkin Yagorkin wrote:

A small update to this topic. I struggled to find a proper composite blade for this rubber combination. A thicker Clipper-like blade is still the most appropriate option. T05 doesn't really work well with hinoki-carbon blades, and koto-ALC blades aren't a good match for SP. However, it's nice vice versa. As for pimple orientation, I would say that smaller vertically aligned pips (Spectol) are more suited for the BH while larger horizontally aligned ones (802-40) are more suited for the FH. There might be some exceptions but it's a personal preference. For instance, I never liked Clippa on my BH even though it has vertical pips but I could easily use regular 802 both on my FH and BH.

Yeah, so finding a blade that works well with a FH rubber (like T05, or H3 in my case) and BH short pips is challenging because you probably are looking for different characteristics on the two sides: Flexibility on FH, and stiffness/thickness on BH. The best compromise that I have found are 7-ply all-wood blades. If you insist on using composite blades then I would recommend something like Stiga Legacy Carbon or Carbonado 145. These blade still provide reasonable robustness for the short pips, while offering some flexibility for FH....My two cents...       
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2021 at 7:45pm
Enjoying this dicussion immensely.

I had changed to Short pips for the first time [Razka PO Max on the FH] recently, with a new copy of the same blade [Acoustic Carbon inner - LG handle] that I had used for my normal set up for the past few years [Acoustic CI, MXP max, Omega V tour 2.0mm].

The Omega V Tour on the BH immediately played 20-30% better, likely due to the different balance / lighter setup [180g v the 195g when it was double inverted rubbers].

People more knowledgeable than me on equipment  / pips insisted the blade was good for short pips; Mima Ito uses Acoustic carbon, fwiw. Can't imagine getting much better a combination / feeling for my BH side, and the pips are doing well - you can receive with immense control, push, block, counter, loop, counterloop, any mistakes are reproduceably technical hangovers from using inverted rubber, or simply mistiming the ball / not generating the right racquet head speed etc.

Edited by Basquests - 02/13/2021 at 7:46pm
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

Enjoying this dicussion immensely.

I had changed to Short pips for the first time [Razka PO Max on the FH] recently, with a new copy of the same blade [Acoustic Carbon inner - LG handle] that I had used for my normal set up for the past few years [Acoustic CI, MXP max, Omega V tour 2.0mm].

The Omega V Tour on the BH immediately played 20-30% better, likely due to the different balance / lighter setup [180g v the 195g when it was double inverted rubbers].

People more knowledgeable than me on equipment  / pips insisted the blade was good for short pips; Mima Ito uses Acoustic carbon, fwiw. Can't imagine getting much better a combination / feeling for my BH side, and the pips are doing well - you can receive with immense control, push, block, counter, loop, counterloop, any mistakes are reproduceably technical hangovers from using inverted rubber, or simply mistiming the ball / not generating the right racquet head speed etc.
I´m playing with similar setup, RITC 802 FH and Omega VII Hyper BH.
But the blade I chose was Timo Boll ALC. Tried a ZJK ZLC before but it´s just too fast and much less controllable. 
To attack with short pips properly I believe the blade must have some flex. ZJK was stiffer than Timo ALC and Primorac Carbon is ever stiffer than both, it was never an option for me.
Of course, I could go to 7-ply blades, and even tried a Clipper but it´s too slow for my game.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic