Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would a DHS Hurricane Long 5 make sense?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would a DHS Hurricane Long 5 make sense?
    Posted: 11/13/2019 at 3:41pm
I am wondering if the DHS Hurricane Long 5 would make sense for me.  My game is aggressive, mid-distance and I’ve risen from about 1200 level to 1600 (on a good day) in the past year.  I’m spin, power and placement-oriented and not often a looper.  I flick often on backhand and usually return chops with topspin (in general).  The racket that helped the most was the good ole Yasaka Sweden Extra with Rakza 7 and, it’s a long story, but that blade is gone.  So I broke out a DHS Hurricane 301 that was not connecting with me before and I like it now (with Razka 7 and Gold Arc 5).  I won two matches with it against players who I’ve never won against before.  The 301 is a little bouncy to me and I’m wondering how much of that is the koto top layer or just me not being used to it.

So now I can get a Hurricane Long 5 at a price not likely to happen again and wonder If I should pull the trigger.  I’m thinking I might like it over Hurricane 301 and it’s now or never.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by 6stringer - 11/13/2019 at 3:54pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Sponsored Links

passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 5:28pm
If you want it it makes sense. I personally think that the Long V is not a good choice for most players.

Nothing to do with level, you can SLAP some Mark V on it and it will be fine for even a 1200 player. But its top layer is very very fragile (it is VERY good quality it is just the cut and type of wood). You need to realistically use Copydex or Tearmender and peel rubbers at a 45 degree angle to the grain to avoid splinters and seal the edge as thats where the splinters originate.
Alternatively you can seal the whole thing but it does change the feel and is risky in case you over do it.

You will however ALWAYS regret it because Ma Long and DREAM BLADE and IMHO the best blade is the one that you love to play with (unless you're a pro), so Get it. Seal the Mo FO (if its from a shop get them to do it) and glue your own rubbers with a gentle rubber cement!

Happy slapping!
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 5:29pm
For reference the blades most similar I had were HL3 and FB2 I sealed the first too much for me and the second I treated like a baby and survived perfectly!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by 6stringer 6stringer wrote:

I am wondering if the DHS Hurricane Long 5 would make sense for me.  My game is aggressive, mid-distance and I’ve risen from about 1200 level to 1600 (on a good day) in the past year.  I’m spin, power and placement-oriented and not often a looper.  I flick often on backhand and usually return chops with topspin (in general).  The racket that helped the most was the good ole Yasaka Sweden Extra with Rakza 7 and, it’s a long story, but that blade is gone.  So I broke out a DHS Hurricane 301 that was not connecting with me before and I like it now (with Razka 7 and Gold Arc 5).  I won two matches with it against players who I’ve never won against before.  The 301 is a little bouncy to me and I’m wondering how much of that is the koto top layer or just me not being used to it.

So now I can get a Hurricane Long 5 at a price not likely to happen again and wonder If I should pull the trigger.  I’m thinking I might like it over Hurricane 301 and it’s now or never.

Thanks for your help!
If you are not concerned about value then the ML5 is better, given that you like the 301. The ML5 is subtly better than 301 and the FB carbon but not worth 3 times the price. The answer I think depends on the deal you are getting.  
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 7:51pm
I'm beginning to wonder...The ML5 has been well reviewed and comments run the gamut on speed of the blade; most believe control is good.

This is a link to a lab test comparison (this guy is on it)
DHS Hurricane Long 5 & 3 – Overview & Lab Test

He includes the Butterfly Innerforce ALC in this test.  He asserts that, on may levels, the ML5 is closer to the Stiga Carbonado 45 and that the Innerforce ALC is likely better for those transitioning from all wood blades although the carbon activated shots were faster on the ALC than the ML5. If I read that correctly, that would indicate the carbon layer may be thicker on the ALC and/or the core wood is springier.  Dwell is higher on the ML5 than the others in his group.

Edited by 6stringer - 11/13/2019 at 7:53pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Leftstudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftstudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 8:50pm
My honest opinion:
You are wasting your time by asking people who you dont know their levels and skills. JUST GET THE DAMN BLADE AND START PLAYING. It might be the best blade for you. It might not. Only you can answer that. 
I was in your situation about a year ago. After asking for opinions on a forum i got more confused. Glad I got the blade and stick with it until now. My level is 2200 using H3 boosted on FH. 
The best blade is the blade help you land the ball on the other side of table everytime you need to. 
More training and less opinion (except from your coach’s). 
No signature required
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 10:13pm
I know people with 1600 rating talking about gear like experts
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Leftstudio Leftstudio wrote:

My honest opinion:
You are wasting your time by asking people who you dont know their levels and skills. JUST GET THE DAMN BLADE AND START PLAYING. It might be the best blade for you. It might not. Only you can answer that. 
I was in your situation about a year ago. After asking for opinions on a forum i got more confused. Glad I got the blade and stick with it until now. My level is 2200 using H3 boosted on FH. 
The best blade is the blade help you land the ball on the other side of table everytime you need to. 

Good points. Right now, my gut take is that if I'm going to spend the coin, Butterfly Innerforce ALC is probably a better, more easily adaptable and forgiving choice for me.

Edited by 6stringer - 11/14/2019 at 9:17am
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 9:40am
In my humble opinion... those blades are all too fast for you. 1600 on a good day means you have serious flaws in your game and technique. Get a nice 5 Ply like Korbel and practice. The one rocket you might play per set doesn’t make up for many other mistakes.
Too fast blades at your level make you play not with your full speed because you’re afraid to overshoot. And for those blades you must have fast racket speed because they are kinda hard and don’t have that much dwell time (compared to regular 5 ply). With slow racket speed you won’t get any spin.

Are you comfortable playing with your full arm swing and max speed and have confidence that you hit 9/10 times without overshooting? Then you can maybe look for a faster blade. But I doubt that’s the case.

Edited by Fabian1890 - 11/14/2019 at 9:45am
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 9:47am

Good points. Right now, my gut take is that if I'm going to spend the coin, Butterfly Innerforce ALC is probably a better, more easily adaptable and forgiving choice for me.

I have had extensive playing experience with the HL5, all of its variants (including the Fang Bo Carbon & W968) and IF Layer ALC and its variants (including the Tomokazu ALC).

At your level, I have better recommendation than the IF Layer ALC: The Donic Ovtcharov No1 Senso.

It is essentially the HL5 with a hollow (and slightly wider handle). That makes the blade a touch slower (but faster than suggested by its 1250 Hz rebound frequency (HL5 is normally around 1450)). More important: the hollow handle significantly increases your ability to sense blade vibrations (especially in short game). This is very important in the sub-2000 playing levels. While they retail at higher prices, discounts can be had. PM me if you cannot find one for less than $130 brand new.

smash into net View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash into net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 9:49am
Why not get the HL5 and if you don’t like it, just re-sell it? If you’re getting it at a good price, maybe you won’t lose too much on the re-sale Smile

If you do like it, then selling the 301 could be an option too.
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 10:06am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

And I know dipshits who think people under certain rating shouldn't talk about gears. What's your point? 

The two coaches I train with obviously have way higher ratings than I do and I know way more about gears than they do. I also know players way under my rating and I won't hesitate hearing what they know about equipment. 

OP, go get Long 5 if you can get a killer deal on it and try it out. 

Edited by vik2000 - 11/14/2019 at 10:08am
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

In my humble opinion... those blades are all too fast for you. 1600 on a good day means you have serious flaws in your game and technique. Get a nice 5 Ply like Korbel and practice. The one rocket you might play per set doesn’t make up for many other mistakes.
Too fast blades at your level make you play not with your full speed because you’re afraid to overshoot. And for those blades you must have fast racket speed because they are kinda hard and don’t have that much dwell time (compared to regular 5 ply). With slow racket speed you won’t get any spin.

Are you comfortable playing with your full arm swing and max speed and have confidence that you hit 9/10 times without overshooting? Then you can maybe look for a faster blade. But I doubt that’s the case.

I was pretty sure I would get at least one "your game is too lame" response.  Actually, I appreciate this. I tried all kinds of gear before I settled on a Yasaka Sweden Extra (5-ply, All+) blade and my game evolved markedly in the past year. I lost that blade (long story) and tried one I had left behind, the DHS Hurricane 301. Now the 301 is good to me and I beat two 1800 level players with it last week.  The 301 blade is inner carbon with koto on the top layer.  It's quite tame until you blast a shot or send a bullet back from a bullet sent. I'm hitting more winners but still making too many mistakes, however, those seem to be mostly racket angle adjustments needed from coming off of the Yasaka 5-ply
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
midway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 11:40pm
I have H301, Fang Bo, Fang Bo X, Malong 5, and W968. For me, the H301 is the most difficult to play with, no dwell time and lacks power, the ball goes straight into the net frequently. Ma long 5 and W968 are OK, have decent control and plenty of power away from table but I like Fang Bo the most for the ball feel. Fang Bo X is faster but dwell time significantly reduces which I don't quite like. The price tag of Fang Bo is also very friendly (you can get it brand new for 40 bucks from princett). That's like half the price of a piece of Tenenrgy.
purpletiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2019 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

And I know dipshits who think people under certain rating shouldn't talk about gears. What's your point? 

The two coaches I train with obviously have way higher ratings than I do and I know way more about gears than they do. I also know players way under my rating and I won't hesitate hearing what they know about equipment. 

Well said. So sick of seeing the same old shit on this forum. 

Person: hi, does anyone have experience with product xxxxxxx? 
Dipshit; YOUR RATING IS SO LOW, MY RATING IS SO HIGH, BUY $1 EQUIPMENT AND GET COACHING YOU FOOL
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 11:48am

My point is that you must be some kind of decent player to talk about rubbers and blades the higher your level the best perception of the gear
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 12:21pm

My point is that you must be some kind of decent player to talk about rubbers and blades the higher your level the best perception of the gear
I think we best not to talk about gear - how many highly rated players do we have on this forum?
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 4:38pm

Actually, I'd say that for players in the range of 1600-2200, expertise on gear has less to do with playing level ("decent players" and more to do with experience in trying different gear.  For a particular use, such as off-the-table looping, a skilled player in that stroke would be better.  Above 2300, then you get into more advanced expertise.

Having said that, I find there is so much variation in personal preferences that it's hard to expect anyone to give a definitive answer on a particular piece of equipment.  Look how many widely varying opinions were posted about Dignics. It's hard to believe they're all talking about the same rubber.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 4:50pm
I liked the HL5 a lot. Very woody despite the ALC, it reminded me a Barwell fleet (not ALC but glass fiber) with less a woody feel; also the Freitas and its hollowness that gives it huge dwell. The HL5 would be somewhere in the middle between those 2 and the  typical ALC blades.
The HL5 is great for those who want something less dull than the traditional ALC blades we know (TB ALC, ZJK ALC, Viscaria etc...) but not so woody as the Freitas that feels more like an aramid or arylate blade without carbon.

Edited by stiltt - 11/15/2019 at 5:01pm
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 2:43pm

While your snarky comment is that of a tactless douchebag, there is some merit to your assertion that a 1600 level player will not possess either the consistency of strokes or have the stroke aptitude of a higher-level player.  That is isn't a great foundation for gear evaluation that would apply to higher level players.  That said, most of the reviews that I read are likely done by higher level players and their gear conclusions don’t often align with what I would benefit from.  But lower level players still need a weapon they can grow and win with so let me be The Voice of The 1600-level Player!  I’ll start another post for this!

Edited by 6stringer - 11/21/2019 at 2:56pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 2:52pm

So I lost my Yasaka Sweden Extra with Rakza 7 then dusted of my DHS Hurricane 301 and now I’ve reached a playing level where I like the 301 (87 grams).  It’s also the only other blade I have that I like Rakza 7 on.  I’ve recently won matches with the DHS 301/Rakza 7 setup against now four 1700-1800 level players that I had never won matches against before.   My opponents have been telling me that my spin rotation is faster and my shots are more consistently landing deeper on the table. I find that I’ve been less consistent with the 301 setup but have been hitting more winners.  I’ve noticed many more shots hitting the top of the net…that could be lower throw of the 301. It could be my lack of consistency or just not adjusting racket angle to the new blade.

The Hurricane Long 5 is apparently constructed with a softer top layer and a thicker ALC layer.  It thereby would make sense that it’s ultimately faster than the 301. At first, I didn’t like the apparently thin Koto top layer of the 301 but it provides a crisper, more solid feel (at least with Rakza 7) and is also a better blocking platform over Yasaka Sweden Extra. Based on the gear lab analysis I posted earlier, the Hurricane Long 5 is one of the highest dwell blades he’s tested. Not being a looper, I'm not seeing a big benefit from that or have the skill to take advantage of it. Where else would big dwell help?

As far as I can uncover, the Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC and the Hurricane Long 5 are both limba-limba-alc-ayous construction but apparently vary on layer thickness.  I will always wonder about the Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC if I don’t get one but I’m also considering another, slightly lighter 301 for rubber experimentation.  Based on all that I’ve read, the Long 5 is faster and harder to master than the Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC.  At this point, I’d really like a Yasaka Sweden Extra with a bigger sweet spot and more speed in reserve (BTW- I don't think Yasaka builds that blade).

Thank you all for your posts and please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Edited by 6stringer - 11/21/2019 at 3:00pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 8:04pm
Sweden Extra has Koto outer ply, so nope, not the koto's fault.
Also YSE is a very dwelly and extremely flexible blade made for looper.
Usually people who do not loop that much would go for something way stiffer.

Now here is my advice: Don't buy fast and expensive carbon blades. You game will not improve without a blade with good control and feeling. I can understand if you find YSE a bit too slow. Maybe you want to look at some of the faster 5plys (Stratus PW) or maybe slower 7plys (Persson PP). The speed increase will be enough.

It just makes no sense to go directly from ALL+ to OFF+

6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

Now here is my advice: Don't buy fast and expensive carbon blades. You game will not improve without a blade with good control and feeling. I can understand if you find YSE a bit too slow. Maybe you want to look at some of the faster 5plys (Stratus PW) or maybe slower 7plys (Persson PP). The speed increase will be enough.

I understand Sweden Extra is:
Outer: Anigre ? (slightly harder than Limba? Yasaka describes this layer as “medium soft”)
Inner: Limba
Core: Ayous

Actually, Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC is a fairly flexible blade that rates high on control and is slower than the DHS Hurricane 301 that I like quite a bit. It seems like what I'm looking for. I have a Tibhar SPW. It helped my game but I realize now that I didn't have the right rubber on it.

:

Edited by 6stringer - 11/21/2019 at 11:41pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2019 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Leftstudio Leftstudio wrote:

My honest opinion:

Totally agree here. Just get it or move on. Piece of a wood, what the hell? :)

However, if you want to apply thoughtful approach, then identify what is wrong with current blade and see if new one fixes that. 

I never played ML5, not giving any advise, but sharing information that I played agains it. This blade is very fast on fast shorts. Not sure about control. I thought spruce in the second layer sitting on top of a carbon springs significantly but it is something else. Core?

Edited by fmarek - 11/22/2019 at 1:26am
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2019 at 1:21am
Originally posted by purpletiesto purpletiesto wrote:

Well said. So sick of seeing the same old shit on this forum. 

Person: hi, does anyone have experience with product xxxxxxx? 
Dipshit; YOUR RATING IS SO LOW, MY RATING IS SO HIGH, BUY $1 EQUIPMENT AND GET COACHING YOU FOOL

Support that!
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2019 at 7:30am

Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

I understand Sweden Extra is:
Outer: Anigre ? (slightly harder than Limba? Yasaka describes this layer as “medium soft”)
Inner: Limba
Core: Ayous

Actually, Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC is a fairly flexible blade that rates high on control and is slower than the DHS Hurricane 301 that I like quite a bit. It seems like what I'm looking for. I have a Tibhar SPW. It helped my game but I realize now that I didn't have the right rubber on it.

:

Right, memory didn't serve me well here, it's actually Anegre/Anigre, but if you compare moanin hardness and stiffness values of that to Koto, you will find that they are extremely close, closer than any two values of other outer plys. To me Anigre is the only other outer ply that I like apart from Koto.

I also tried to switch from 5plys to carbon when the ABS ball was introduced and although I tried a dozen carbon blades, ultimately the loss in control did not warrant the gain in shot quality. So you have been warned. Try some 7 plys without carbon first. For Limba try Force Pro Black or Blue, for Koto try Persson Powerplay or DHS PG-9.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

I think we best not to talk about gear - how many highly rated players do we have on this forum?

What would be lowest rating to be called highly rated 2000?
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2019 at 1:44pm

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

What would be lowest rating to be called highly rated 2000?
don't know, you first associated rating with knowledge on equipment - so I guess you have thought about it -  please indicate you thoughts
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2019 at 7:09pm
I just bought one to try yesterday :D. It's my first time going into EJ mode...

I think I have quite stable strokes now and it's time for a speed upgrade! Someone told me that I was playing with a handicap with all wood blades because you can execute much more powerful strokes with less energy with carbon layer blades and play a bit more relaxed and speedier without losing power. 

Will see how it goes! 

6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by midway2k midway2k wrote:

I have H301, Fang Bo, Fang Bo X, Malong 5, and W968. For me, the H301 is the most difficult to play with, no dwell time and lacks power, the ball goes straight into the net frequently. Ma long 5 and W968 are OK, have decent control and plenty of power away from table but I like Fang Bo the most for the ball feel. Fang Bo X is faster but dwell time significantly reduces which I don't quite like. The price tag of Fang Bo is also very friendly (you can get it brand new for 40 bucks from princett). That's like half the price of a piece of Tenenrgy.

I read through this and all along I'm wondering what rubber you were using?  On the 301, I started with DHS Gold Arc 8 47.5 degree (2.0mm) and Tibhar 5Q VIP (1.9mm)  I didn't like either of those on the 301 or let's just say my adjustment overhead was too high. Now I've got Rakza 7 (2.0mm) and Gold Arc 5 47.5 degree (2.0mm) on the 301.  Simply stated, the Gold Arc 8 was too bouncy for me on my 87gm 301; too tough to control mid-speed and faster.  The Tibhar 5Q VIP was OK but didn't bring anything in the way of rotation generation or speed. Rakza 7 works for me on the 301. It's less forgiving on the 301 than it is on Yasaka Sweden Extra but that's good for me at this point as it's forcing me to pay more attention to blade angles.

Edited by 6stringer - 11/24/2019 at 7:42pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic