FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sidespin in BHs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sidespin in BHs
    Posted: 11/20/2019 at 8:00am
I tried to hit pure topspin BHs and it failed horribly.  the contact just seems foreign to me and I missed so much :( and my partners all told me my old sidespinny BH was better because it had a lot more curve in it which made receiving much harder, and somehow it's more powerful than the pure topspin BH. 

I think I'll just give up and focus on developing my sidespinny BH....

Does anyone here loop with mostly pure topspin on the BH?

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I tried to hit pure topspin BHs and it failed horribly.  the contact just seems foreign to me and I missed so much :( and my partners all told me my old sidespinny BH was better because it had a lot more curve in it which made receiving much harder, and somehow it's more powerful than the pure topspin BH. 

I think I'll just give up and focus on developing my sidespinny BH....

Does anyone here loop with mostly pure topspin on the BH?

Only as a variation.  Normally, I try to add some sidespin to make the bounce harder to read.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 2:05pm
When someone is first learning you certainly want them to learn pure topspin rather than side top. However unless someone can technically coach you to a more pure topspin BH, then it is much better to hit a quality top-side BH than a weaker pure topspin BH.
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 2:57pm
I think sideloop is better especially if you add corkscrew. I often miss the ball completely if I don't notice opponent's contact with the side.
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2019 at 5:23pm
theyre 2 different shots. its nice too have both. they do different things
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 7:36am
Originally posted by bars bars wrote:

theyre 2 different shots. its nice too have both. they do different things

I guess yeah it'll be good to have that variation....
-------
Viscaria

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 8:51am
hi blahness. I am on the same train. After trying for ages to develop a strong BH top spin something went wrong and now I have this really nasty and curvy side spin. All my partners and opponents say that it is very difficult to deal with and I must use it more often. I guess it is my extensive wrist action

Edited by Kolev - 11/21/2019 at 6:15pm
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

hi blahness. I am on the same train. After trying for ages to develop a strong BH top spin something went wrong and now I have this really nasty and curvy side spin. All my partners and opponents say that it is very to deal with and I must use it more often. I guess it is my extensive wrist action

Same here lol....I guess for me it's watching too much ZJK and developing  a strong chiquita early on that did it for me. My BH loop is pretty much a larger version of the chiquita LOL
-------
Viscaria

pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 9:15am
This discussion is about opening a back-spinning ball, right?
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

This discussion is about opening a back-spinning ball, right?

It's generalised. For opening loops I feel like the sidespinny action is even better because it wraps around the ball better giving me more control. Pure topspin is only sort of viable during topspin rally battles...

Edited by blahness - 11/21/2019 at 9:30am
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic