Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palio HK1997 Gold Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palio HK1997 Gold Review
    Posted: 01/19/2020 at 8:25pm
Over the years I've read many reviews and rubber opinions on this forum, and found a lot of interesting information which helped me chose or at least try certain rubbers out.

Here I've decided to write a basic review of two rubbers I tried out a few days ago, mainly because I did not see much about them and they are really good value for money.

I tried the Palio HK1997 Gold and the AK47 Red on a Yasaka extra Offensive, and then on Yasaka Gaiten Extra.

Background:

I am an aggressive FH looper / short touch player, and an all round attacking BH player. I don't know my corresponding level to US, but I'm trained and have decent technique and footwork (despite laziness), and have won matches vs two 1800 and one 2050 US players - although these were not in competition, but under serious training conditions. My Main setup is MX-P FH and Stiga Mantra M BH, I will use these as comparison as well as some other popular rubbers.

Palio HK1997 Gold:

Properties:

This is supposed to be very hard, in play it feels the same as my MX-P. It feels a bit lighter than MX-P.

What is it suited for?

This is clearly a FH rubber. It has great bite and grip on the ball, it really plays similar to MX-P and I needed no adjustment on any stroke. It has much less catapult though, but I am an aggressive FH power looper, so I don't use rubber catapult much. 

The lower catapult does not affect blocks, as passive blocks can be done in the same way as with MX-P, it does bounce a bit less, but it borrows the power from the opponents loop very well. Excellent for blocking.

Touch shots benefit a lot, it is better at short touch and fine placement on drop shots than MX-P. MX-P has perfect placement for power loops and strong attacks, the HK1997 Gold has the same ability in this field. 

With both MX-P and HK1997 Gold I was able to open up very easily with slow spinny loops, power loop, counter top spin, and a favourite shot of mine, suddenly flat hit during a rally (a la Harimoto) to change pace and spin. 

In these aspects - on the attack I felt the HK1997 Gold performed in the same way as the MX-P, could be used in exactly the same way, it had maybe very slightly less spin, and a bit less spead and power, but power, speed and spin are more than enough (maybe same power and speed as Rakza 7 but with a bit less spin). 

What you get in return is perfect control and versatility, improved short game, very easy serve receive and blocks, counterhits, and an incredible feel for the ball.

To me, this really is a modern Sriver - in the sense that it just can do it all at a very high level while feeling as though it were an extension of your hand.

Which blade?
I did not like this rubber and the AK47 on the YEO - I feel the YEO ruins the feel of these rubbers, their strong point is the feel for the ball, the feeling that you can guide the ball anywhere with any type and amount of spin and speed, and the feeling that you cannot miss. With YEO this doesn't exist - I think the YEO is too hard for these rubbers. With Yasaka Gaiten extra, it performs like a dream, I do not want to let go of the bat. It would be good with Avlox P500 and OSP Virtuoso too... wooden blades with good feel for the ball.

Overall:
At this price, you have an incredible FH weapon, I cannot recommend it more.

Would I have a disadvantage playing this rubber vs ESN, DHS or other more expensive rubbers?:

I really do not think so, the speed is mid range ESN, spin also mid range ESN. Control, touch, feel, serve return, is top class. Allows you to be very aggressive without missing. I will definitely use this more often. HK 1997 Gold together with AK47 Red on Yasaka Gaiten Extra helped me win a very very tough league match against an unbeaten player, and it was that extra control and ability to do whatever I wanted even when surprised that won it.

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Sponsored Links

Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2020 at 1:29am
Thx for the review,  is topsheet hard as rock? How tacky it is?
Neottec Magic Control -CN : Nexy Karis M / 61second Kangaroo
Revoldia clone -ST: Hurricane 9 green / 61second Eagle
Donier Defensive -ST: Sword Long Can / 61second Eagle

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2020 at 11:48am
Topsheet is very soft and it's only slightly tacky.

I agree with what OP said. It plays like a chinese mx-p. Extremely fast and dynamic, unlike traditional Chinese rubbers. Medium throw, lots of spin. Tuning not necessary, plays well out of the package, despite very little factory tuning, so if you add 1 layer the rubber might be even better.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2020 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Reaper Reaper wrote:

Thx for the review,  is topsheet hard as rock? How tacky it is?

Topsheet is elastic, not hard, it is similar to MX-P in feel, but I think the topsheet is thinner. It grabs the ball well and does not rely on the tack to do so, but it is slightly tacky (not enough to lift the ball, but a protective plastic sheet sticks). Topsheet reminds me of Adidas P7, but Sponge is definitely almost same as MX-P.

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

Topsheet is elastic, not hard, it is similar to MX-P in feel, but I think the topsheet is thinner. It grabs the ball well and does not rely on the tack to do so, but it is slightly tacky (not enough to lift the ball, but a protective plastic sheet sticks). Topsheet reminds me of Adidas P7, but Sponge is definitely almost same as MX-P.

Sounds good, I'm looking to replace my 999T eventually, for something with a softer topsheet without loosing tackiness. I'll have this in mind, thx
Neottec Magic Control -CN : Nexy Karis M / 61second Kangaroo
Revoldia clone -ST: Hurricane 9 green / 61second Eagle
Donier Defensive -ST: Sword Long Can / 61second Eagle

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2020 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Reaper Reaper wrote:

Sounds good, I'm looking to replace my 999T eventually, for something with a softer topsheet without loosing tackiness. I'll have this in mind, thx

Funny that you mentioned it!

Among the rubbers I bought with the intention to experiment and use for competitive play as alternatives to ESN rubbers were the 999T Super and Friendship Bloom Power. I glued Friendship Bloom Power and 999T Super on Avlox P500 and HK19997 Gold & AK47 Red on Yasaka Gaiten Extra.

Both setups are wonderful, and I am sure I could use both for competitive play. 

That said, the 999T Super is not very similar to the HK1997 Gold. HK1997 Gold is a bit harder, even though it is not hard. It is a lot more powerful, and it is faster (although I do not think 999T is slow as some others say). Both are not innately bouncy and are excellent on touch shots while not being dead for blocks. Both are spinny. HK1997 Gold is less tacky.

I think the HK1997 Gold is better at opening up vs underspin, and I feel it is better in a rally due to it's extra power. In fact although I liked the feeling of 999T Super on the FH, especially in 3rd ball training and serve receive, I would use the 999T Super only on BH in a competition, as on FH I'd need more power for when I hit hard. With the 999T Super, there seems to be a maximum you can get out of the rubber, beyond which no matter how much harder you hit or how much you emphasise spin with wrist and fast arm on the loop - it just does not give more (this is it's difference to H3 which always gives more but is much harder to play).

It is less likely to hit the net with HK1997 than 999T Super, but more likely to go long with HK1997 as 999T never sends the ball long LOL. It is less likely to go long with HK1997 than MX-P on the other hand. 

Friendship Bloom power is another story - it is EXCELLENT, but different to the HK1997 Gold.
Although this is a loose comparison, if I would compare the HK1997 Gold to ESN - it would be MX-P (90% similarity), whereas the Friendship Bloom Power would be Tenergy or Adidas P7 (80% similarity).
Bloom power is really EXCELLENT too and maybe for less power and more arc it is more suited than HK1997.

So , if you are going to try the HK1997 Gold - I think you will definitely not be disappointed and I think it is a stronger FH weapon than 999T Super. It won't feel or play the same, but you won't need adjustment really, because both are very linear. 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2020 at 9:00pm
have you tried yinhe or reactor rubber? i found some good review about them: yinhe jupiter II, reactor ckylin, ...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by M.Hoang M.Hoang wrote:

have you tried yinhe or reactor rubber? i found some good review about them: yinhe jupiter II, reactor ckylin, ...

I have tried Yihne Moon Pro, and did not like it. I feel Palio and Friendship rubbers are more reliable and of better quality. This is why I compared the Palio rubbers directly to the best rubbers I know. I doubt that Galaxy Mars / Moon etc can compare to top rubbers, unless with some booster that wears off after a couple of weaks.

Note that the Palio HK1997, AK47 Red, Friendship Bloom Power - are all wonderful without Booster, they play well and I would see no point in boosting at all when new.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2020 at 1:00am

I have tried Yihne Moon Pro, and did not like it. I feel Palio and Friendship rubbers are more reliable and of better quality. This is why I compared the Palio rubbers directly to the best rubbers I know. I doubt that Galaxy Mars / Moon etc can compare to top rubbers, unless with some booster that wears off after a couple of weaks.

Note that the Palio HK1997, AK47 Red, Friendship Bloom Power - are all wonderful without Booster, they play well and I would see no point in boosting at all when new.
tks, i also read some review in china forums that Palio and 729 have better quality, especially 729 is very durable. =))) 
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2020 at 1:02am
another rubber of Palio that i saw good review is CJ8000, very cheap@@
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2020 at 10:00pm

another rubber of Palio that i saw good review is CJ8000, very cheap@@

Yes CJ8000 is not bad, it reminds me of Hammond Pro Beta, however, I think CJ8000 becomes very good when glued (not even booster is good enough). Because this sponge without glue lacks power and dynamic properties but totally changes when speed glued. Therefore, although I've played with CJ8000 for fun , mostly on older player's bats who still glue... I never used it in competitive environments, only in casual matches and some hitting for fun.

Out of the package, Palio CJ8000 is much weaker, less dynamic, less spin than HK1997 Gold - it cannot compare. 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2020 at 3:32am
ok, tks LOLLOLLOL
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2020 at 12:09pm
I just ordered a couple of sheets  of the HK1997
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2020 at 12:18pm

I think CJ8000 becomes very good when glued
A lot of rubbers become very good when glued, but they won't allow you to do it anymore.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2020 at 6:11am

Jupiter 2 is attempt to clone H3 Neo. Similarly hard sponge, factory boosted, very high quality packaging, it has glue layer already applied, tacky, tackiness stays for long time (given you clean it). High throw. speed and spin depends on your skills, hitting hard gives good spin, but due to high throw sort of still receivable by opponent. However, hitting hard also produces speed, so if you distribute 80% of power to the hit, while leaving just 20% for spin then it is very fast. I have it on my blade for 70 hours of play, no single sign of wear! But if you hit table then expect rubber to tear/crack. I tried H38 red (still playing with it). Worth to try it out. It is not like Prestos, not like Xioms, not like MX-Ps

Reactor ckylin with blue sponge:

In short - rubbish. Not tacky, but somewhat grippy. However due to the soft sponge it is not a problem. I did not like feeling, sponge is just too soft, rubber pores are too big. It is nothing like H3 Neo / Jupiter 2, not like Skyline 3-60. Good for beginner maybe. If you wish to try a cake sponge which is spinny and fast - Presto MAX Spin. It is attempt to clone FastArc G1, but twice cheaper. Not a bad product.

Edited by fmarek - 01/23/2020 at 4:07pm
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2020 at 9:13am
tks so much =))) really good review. i dont have enough money, so i have bought a lot of old rubber from some secondhand sellers in my country, for example: victas, nitaku, yasaka, xiom ... most of them still about 80-90 % with much cheaper price, and play stability. maybe now i will test some new china rubbers with comfortable price. WinkWinkWinkWink   
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2020 at 10:39am

tks so much =))) really good review. i dont have enough money, so i have bought a lot of old rubber from some secondhand sellers in my country, for example: victas, nitaku, yasaka, xiom ... most of them still about 80-90 % with much cheaper price, and play stability. maybe now i will test some new china rubbers with comfortable price. WinkWinkWinkWink   

Yes you can get great rubbers at a cheap price. 

I highly recommend friendship bloom powder for spinny, a bit bouncy high arc 

Hk1997 gold for flatter arc powerful rubber

Ak47 red for bh with power and low spin sensitivity

999t super bh with good balance for all round spin play

Friendship 802-40 if you like short pimples is great and even has some spin 

You will have great setup for a reasonable price and can play with confidence. 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
M.Hoang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.Hoang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2020 at 11:49am
tks so much Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
Hasna Haura View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasna Haura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2021 at 1:15am
I've been using the palio HK1997gold for 1 year, and am very satisfied, but I have one drawback when hitting the ball by looping from the opponent's underspin ball, the ball often goes out of the tennis table. what is a good technique so that the ball is brushed properly. and how to make the spin spiny? 

Thank you for the review

Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2021 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Hasna Haura Hasna Haura wrote:

I've been using the palio HK1997gold for 1 year, and am very satisfied, but I have one drawback when hitting the ball by looping from the opponent's underspin ball, the ball often goes out of the tennis table. what is a good technique so that the ball is brushed properly. and how to make the spin spiny? 

Thank you for the review

Yep.. I've been using it for a couple of months now, and it's a decent rubber.. The major drawback I see with this rubbers, is it's susceptibility to humidity .. Becomes almost unplayable ..  

The issue I face with this rubber is the exact opposite of what you're facing - I find it difficult to lift backspin/underspin; netting the ball, more often than not .. 

I find AK-47 Red & even Blue, better than HK1997 Gold, at lifting backspin.. 

If you're looping against underspin, and the ball goes long, it could be that you're over-estimating the amount of backspin/underspin.. 

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasna Haura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2021 at 2:33am
my technique is still weak when looping with a hard sponge, different if a soft or medium sponge. so that when I brushed the underspin ball with this palio HK1197 gold, the ball even hit it out, there was no friction between the rubber and the ball. Has anyone on this forum been able to do a kill loop with hk1997gold ? can give a review, suggestions will be appreciated.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasna Haura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2021 at 11:09pm
how to play a fast power looper with Palio HK 1997 gold.
Honestly, I'm still having trouble making the maximum spin because the sponge is hard
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Hasna Haura Hasna Haura wrote:

how to play a fast power looper with Palio HK 1997 gold.
Honestly, I'm still having trouble making the maximum spin because the sponge is hard

You're essentially asking how to generate more power with a Chinese rubber. That usually requires a bigger arm swing and very good timing. It's of course more complicated than that but there are already many resources that can explain it better than me.

You might also want to assess your own level and style. You might not be suited for Chinese or hard rubbers.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasna Haura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2021 at 9:39pm
he you are right.
I really like this rubber.
but my trainer using tenergy has trouble making hk 1997 gold rubber loops.
rubber that is hard to brush off but great fun when it comes to making drive punches, hard smashes and good control.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2023 at 5:17am
It plays very well on the BH. But there is a catch, the consistency between packages is a mess. Sometime you get soft, elastic and a bit shiny top sheet, while on another package you may find mate and harder one.

The soft elastic top sheet produces so much spin. It can be used on both - FH and BH. Excellent on BH. 

The mate and harder top sheet is more for the FH or for the bin. Slightly opens up after booster but not worth messing.

I used 5 sheets already and another 2 are currently glued. All on BH Thumbs Up
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2023 at 5:49am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

It plays very well on the BH. But there is a catch, the consistency between packages is a mess. Sometime you get soft, elastic and a bit shiny top sheet, while on another package you may find mate and harder one.

Yes, I 've found manufacturing inconsistencies in a lot of China-made rubbers, across various brands. 
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2023 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Veet Veet wrote:

Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

Yes, I 've found manufacturing inconsistencies in a lot of China-made rubbers, across various brands. 

It depends , Chinese tt goods purchased in HK are top notch. I got 2 bigdipper blades that were as smooth as Euro rubbers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic