Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Composite fiber sheets - where to buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
josef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Composite fiber sheets - where to buy
    Posted: 02/16/2020 at 1:17am
I am interested in just experimenting with modifying my blades. 

Can someone tell me where I can buy composite fiber sheets in (USA / Canada), such as carbon or interwoven carbon with arylate or titanium etc , with thicknesses that I can legally use for tabletennis  ?

Also what are some of the lightest epoxy I can use to glue these fibers

I know many of you laugh at me because I sound totally clueless about building rackets but thanks for your undrstanding.

I need all the help & suggestions I can use

Thanks  
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2020 at 9:40am

That is one place.

Edited by Baal - 02/16/2020 at 9:44am
josef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

That is one place.

Thanks.

Now if only someone can tell me where to buy some of the lightest epoxy & how to cut these composite fibers without any expensive tools. Are any inexpensive laser cutting or other tools out there ?

I am told the vapors that emanate could be dangerous to breathe  and what precautions to take.

I do not have full fledged shop 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by josef josef wrote:

That is one place.

Thanks.

Now if only someone can tell me where to buy some of the lightest epoxy & how to cut these composite fibers without any expensive tools. Are any inexpensive laser cutting or other tools out there ?

I am told the vapors that emanate could be dangerous to breathe  and what precautions to take.

I do not have full fledged shop 

I think those people also sell some of the epoxys you need.  I have no idea how to use this stuff, but I suspect all of it is nasty.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2020 at 4:13am
no judgement, but just curious: are you planning to glue fibers on top of the plies?
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2020 at 11:55am
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
josef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Simas Simas wrote:

no judgement, but just curious: are you planning to glue fibers on top of the plies?

No problem (about judgement) but is that not how it is done ? 
The various layers of a blade are stuck to each other using epoxy (mostly) and some use (wood) glues ?

Unless you meant to ask whether I am using glue , not epoxy ?

This is what I am trying to get educated on.......the best way a custom blade maker cuts & puts together a blade manually (not as in manufacturing where everything is probably automated with big bad fast machines)   .

Thanks
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2020 at 1:27pm
If you look carefully at ITTF technical bulletins, it turns out that blades with composites on the external surfaces (where rubber is attached) are now allowed in sanctioned events.  The outer surface has to be wood and you have to be able to see the grain.  So you can stain the wood but you can't paint it and you can't cover it with a composite.

I am not a blade maker or a wood worker, but my understanding is you are correct about how various layers are put together.

Edited by Baal - 02/18/2020 at 1:29pm
josef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2020 at 10:54pm

If you look carefully at ITTF technical bulletins, it turns out that blades with composites on the external surfaces (where rubber is attached) are now allowed in sanctioned events.  The outer surface has to be wood and you have to be able to see the grain.  So you can stain the wood but you can't paint it and you can't cover it with a composite.

I am not a blade maker or a wood worker, but my understanding is you are correct about how various layers are put together.

OK I did not understand the question . I see Simas meant using the fiber as outermost layer.
No that was not my intent . I was going to add a composite layer & add a wood layer on top.
I do have the various wood veneers already. 

I bought a carbon sheet locally just being curious and realized it is liek 20 time thick & heavier  than normal and also do not know how to cut it .

Sorry about the confusion

Edited by josef - 02/18/2020 at 10:55pm
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2020 at 10:40am
Dude, 
I'm sure scissors will cut composites.

also think about what type of glue to use

Epoxy will be heavier and wood glue lighter

Epoxy will be faster and wood glue softer and slower

Don't get me started on Hide Glue

Dr. Cho
LoopLobber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoopLobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

Dude, 

Don't get me started on Hide Glue

Dr. Cho

Are you saying you are for or against Hide Glue ?  Not clear .  All I am trying to understand is whether you like it (recommend it) or don't like it. Is there something unique to Hide Glue ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic