Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Resources on SP / MP defense

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resources on SP / MP defense
    Posted: 02/17/2020 at 5:22pm
Hello all, can someone link me something to study sp / mp Attributes when it comes to defending?
I know a lot about inverted, but little about pips... something about how pip structure affects various playing properties would be awesome. maybe also something about sponges, e.g. why most pip sponges are so soft. would be much appreciated. thx!
Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2020 at 7:54pm
The pips also come in hard and soft versions, not just the sponge.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2020 at 11:08pm
by defense do you mean chopping? Or? 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2020 at 12:26am
Search for "pathfinderpro" and "pips" on youtube. Everything you need to know about how pips react.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

by defense do you mean chopping? Or? 

yes, I mainly for chopping, but I'm generally interested in how the individual physical factors affect various aspects of play. There are many questions. for example, if I want to chop with lots of variation, should I get a topsheet with little grip, but a hard dynamic sponge, or the complete opposite? should I boost my pips? how thick do I want my sponge? what are the benefits of thinner vs thicker pips? how does hardness of the pips affect play?

Anyways, I'm interested in trying a pip that enables lots of spin Variation and also close table attacking. I have tried waran, spectol, super spinpips, and pluto. Waran seems too fast and soft, at least in 2.0mm, spectol seemed too unelastic, slow, non-grippy, spinpips were okay but seemed like a weak inverted, and Pluto seemed good, but Maybe a bit top soft and not enough spin, but I only played it once.

The pathfinder videos are nice to get a general overview, and I think I would do best with medium or short pips.

Recommendations are welcome.
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2020 at 9:22am
Here's my take, but keep in mind, I'm a penhold short pips attacking-oriented player, don't know much about chopping:

Lots of variation in chopping: I would guess a grippier pip with thinner sponge.

Should you boost?: I've tried it, but IMO short pips speed (high impact) is more dependent on the blade than the sponge, boosting only make a little difference. The effect is more substantial for inverted which rely on tangential elasticity, short pips are more direct and a 2mm compression won';t get much help from boosting.

Thicker sponges allow a deep "dig" and more surface for contact thus more spin. I personally don't find the speed to be much different between 1.8-2.2mm on direct (smashing) shots, but the thicker ones are better to loop with.

Spin variation/ close to the table attacking: my current favourites are Victas 102, Blowfish, and Spinpips Red. But they are all faster than Waran. If you want something less spinny than Spinpips, but more than Pluto yet slower than Waran, give the classic 802 a try, see if you can find the 41 degree sponge Mysteryy III version.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic