Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gambler Volt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gambler Volt
    Posted: 02/25/2020 at 5:45pm
Has anyone tried Gambler Volt-T or Gambler Volt-M? 

They are working really well for me. I finally have as much spin as I did with celluloid balls and am playing better than ever with them.

For forehand I typically used tacky or semi-tacky rubbers. H3, Battle II, Thors, Grip-S, Grip-S Europe, etc.

For backhand I typically used mechanical rubbers. T05, T05fx, Blitz, Vega etc.

For my play style Volt-T and Volt-M fit the bill perfectly. I'm sticking with these for as long as possible, especially since they're only $18.

These aren't your Grandpa's Outlaw! 
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
Sponsored Links

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2020 at 7:32am

Edited by BeaverMD - 11/02/2021 at 8:09am
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2020 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

These Volt rubbers look promising.  I have not tried them but that and the Mech-Tek are on my radar screen.  The Outlaw was actually a pretty decent rubber and I think if they could fix the topsheet from delaminating, it could make a comeback for the plastic ball.  The Outlaw sponge was 41 degrees so it would be perfect for mechanical spin with the 40+.

On a side note, it looks like Tom (zeropong.com) is now just selling exclusively Gambler.

I have a sheet of both Volts but have not tried them yet. I was shocked to see zeropong has no 729! No more snipe? No more a lot of stuff that many have used for years. I assume Tom has been the supplier to others US sellers, so I expect a lot of stuff will be gone from the N American market over time. 
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

These Volt rubbers look promising.  I have not tried them but that and the Mech-Tek are on my radar screen.  The Outlaw was actually a pretty decent rubber and I think if they could fix the topsheet from delaminating, it could make a comeback for the plastic ball.  The Outlaw sponge was 41 degrees so it would be perfect for mechanical spin with the 40+.

On a side note, it looks like Tom (zeropong.com) is now just selling exclusively Gambler.

Mech-Tek was decent on backhand with Viscaria for me. It has a ton of grip. Slightly slow though. Better than 729 Battle I by a lot. like Volt-M far more than both, it doesn't seem that grippy to the touch but it's a different story when you hit the ball with it. 
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
ppmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2020 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by eonblue eonblue wrote:

For my play style Volt-T and Volt-M fit the bill perfectly. I'm sticking with these for as long as possible, especially since they're only $18.

Could you elaborate more about the rubbers? Comparison to the rubbers they replace would be great.

Thanks!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2020 at 4:32pm
I haven't played with them, but I got a couple of sheets of mechtech oh toro version to compare.  The yellow/blue sponges under the first batch of MTP were softer than the second batch, which was comparatively hard and dead.  I was pretty disappointed in the later stock of MTP that I received.

The Oh Torro version is definitely a lot softer and feels pretty good to the touch.  I sold the sheets though and never tried them.  The topsheets also looked nicer than what they had been. I'm debating whether to pick them up or not...probably will.   I'm just getting tired of all these new versions of things and then they're barely available and then gone and on to something else.

Edited by cole_ely - 02/27/2020 at 4:33pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I'm just getting tired of all these new versions of things and then they're barely available and then gone and on to something else.

Xiom's blade sales strategy in a nutshell.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
RDinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2020 at 5:12pm
So I'm currently undefeated using Volt-T on my forehand! Okay - it is only 3 real matches, but REALLY impressed with it. 

H3 NT Blue user for years but my student who got it for me moved and while I found H3 NT Neo from a Super League player, I wasn't happy with all the tuning. I did 2 light coats of tuner on the Volt, put it on and not tuned it since. That was first week of January, so @ 2 months and a ton of practice.

Over the table and 1 step off Volt plays almost the same as H3, just more forgiving / softer. Off table counter looping is okay, just not going to finish from there - but I couldn't really finish consistently with the H3 from there either.

While it doesn't quite pick the ball up off the table like Battle II, I find Volt not as demanding for short play as the BII. It feels like you get rewarded for higher racket speed with BII (spin) but if you are off pace.. bad things happen - floating pushes that get slapped is the best example I can recall. Volt has been a bit more forgiving and just about as spinny with proper technique.

Kudos to Tom and the crew at Gambler TT!
ZLC/ULC Custom, Nitt.H3 Pro /MX-S
patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2020 at 6:38pm

I haven't played with them, but I got a couple of sheets of mechtech oh toro version to compare.  The yellow/blue sponges under the first batch of MTP were softer than the second batch, which was comparatively hard and dead.  I was pretty disappointed in the later stock of MTP that I received.

The Oh Torro version is definitely a lot softer and feels pretty good to the touch.  I sold the sheets though and never tried them.  The topsheets also looked nicer than what they had been. I'm debating whether to pick them up or not...probably will.   I'm just getting tired of all these new versions of things and then they're barely available and then gone and on to something else.

Hey cole, my mechtek oh-toro arrived just today. RED topsheet with yellow sponge. Does the yellow sponge means its first batch of 'oh-toro' sponge? Can you please clarify. It does feel soft though, need to set it up on my DHS 301 and test it. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2020 at 10:46pm
the oh toro should be marked. The sponge is more orange or maybe buff than yellow. If it's bright yellow you got the regular kind.

Edited by cole_ely - 04/13/2020 at 11:42pm

patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2020 at 1:58pm

the oh toro should be marked. The sponge is more orange or maybe buff than yellow. If it's bright yellow you got the regular kind.

Its marked with the oh toro stamp but its bright yellow. Oh well, need to test it. Thanks for responding
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2020 at 2:39pm
take a picture and I can tell you in 2 seconds if you care enough.

patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2020 at 3:31pm
here is the picture of the sponge

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2020 at 6:00pm
I call that orange. Maybe it's a blue dress, yani thing

patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2020 at 6:02pm

I call that orange. Maybe it's a blue dress, yani thing

Thanks much. Just finished setting it up. Will play and post my inputs here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic