Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Straight Handle in TB ALC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straight Handle in TB ALC
    Posted: 03/16/2020 at 5:21am
Hi All,

I'm currently on a search for a new blade - The handle of the ones I've tried recently (Timo Boll Spirit AN, Viscaria FL, Zhang Jike ALC AN) was always too thin (I've got large hands) especially at the very top of the handle just under the rubber.

Have you got any experience with Timo Boll ALC's Straight handle? It seems quite thick, but being s Straight handle, is it stable/comfortable on powerful shots? I'm a forehand player using T05 on FH and short pips TSP Spectol on BH. When you play powerful forehand shots, does the straight handle have a tendency to slip out? I'm not a fan of grip tape and would like to stay away from it.

Also, I've started noticing that the modern ALC blades do have bigger handles, but consequently they're less head heavy - which might be an issue as my short pips on BH is already very light and having a handle heavy bat doesn't seem to work for my style of play (aggressive close to the table). The Timo Boll Spirit I used in the past was good in this respect (noticeably head heavy) but the handle was a bit too small and thin.

By the same token I'd  ike to stay with ALC blades as I'm already very used to them. Which of them would have the best handle for large hands, yet still being head heavy? Timo Boll ALC STRAIGHT? Timo Boll Spirit FLARED? Timo Boll Spirit STRAIGHT?

Thanks in advance for all your comments.
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2020 at 5:40am
I have rather big hands and I use grip tape on my st handle TB ALC, if that helps.

Without it, it’s too small/thin for me.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
6Finger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2020 at 8:32am
TBS has same ST handle as TB ALC.
Could you post a pic of your grip there is a chance your grip isnt optimal.

As for alternative handles Viscaria has the bigest flared handle in ALC family of blades. And for other manufactures Stiga has 2 sizes of flared handles, master and legend, legend is biger but recently they stoped manufacturing it. There might be still some new ones around.
If you go with stiga, clipepr wood is traditional choice for SP players.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2020 at 8:56pm
TB ALC ST is thicc like I told you
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Humble Bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humble Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by 6Finger 6Finger wrote:

As for alternative handles Viscaria has the bigest flared handle in ALC family of blades. 

Another club member's ZJK ALC FL is much bigger than my Viscaria's FL handle even though the specs are all 25 mm wide.  I don't like the Viscaria handle as the middle finger area is even narrower than the top; the opposite of anatomic; I had to put a grip tape at that area.  The ZJK handles are bigger all the way across the 3 different types of handle.
ZJK ALC, MJ SZLC, Viscaria
Humble Bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humble Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 11:39pm

As for alternative handles Viscaria has the bigest flared handle in ALC family of blades. And for other manufactures Stiga has 2 sizes of flared handles, master and legend, legend is biger but recently they stoped manufacturing it. There might be still some new ones around.
ZJK ALC, MJ SZLC, Viscaria
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 11:41pm

With plastics ball clipper kinda feels weak .I m still looking for a blade that plays lile clipper but tad faster
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2020 at 11:11am
TB ALC ST handle is comfortable, but not thick for me. And my hands are neither small nor big. If you want a blade with thick ST handle, Tibhar Stratus PowerWood is the one (and I suppose Samsonov Stratus CB and Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition, too).
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic