Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Light Short Pips & Head Heaviness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Short Pips & Head Heaviness
    Posted: 03/21/2020 at 1:48pm
Hi All,

Since putting on a new sheet of classic TSP Spectol (which is super light), I've started noticing that my bat is significantly less head heavy compared with before when I had heavier short pips (Impartial XB). The less pronounced head heaviness has resulted in much less power in my forehand strokes (using Tenergy 05 on FH). 

Have you experienced this as well? What would be the best way to solve this? The two obvious solutions are:

1) Using heavier short pips (Spectol Blue, Spectol Speed Sponge etc)
2) Using a more head heavy blade (my current Zhang Jike ALC is noticeably handle heavy - would Timo Boll ALC be more head heavy?).

Thanks for you input.
Sponsored Links

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 2:00pm
Yes it's a problem. You can alleviate it by using thicker sponges, harder sponges, heavier blades, thicker edge tape, harder fh rubber, more glue layers... you have to experiment with that.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 3:37pm
hi rollko
you can go to a lawn tennis shop and buy a pack of lead strips used for balancing tennis rackets.
glue 1 strip to the edge of the tt bat using a water based adhesive. 1 4 inch strip at the tip of the bat should be more than enough. Though the strips seem very light they definitely do the job.
good luck

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 03/21/2020 at 3:37pm
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 10:33pm
You are lucky to want head heavy when the heavier rubbers that came out in the last years made many people want the opposite.

I would suggest experimenting with oversized blades. If the regular size is 157x150, anything 162mm-158mm for example will be head heavier. 

The WRB Stiga system (what Donic calls SENSO) is also a route to take if that's not done yet: the hollow handle will make the feel head heavier.

Of course, as said above, if you boost and add 2 coats of water based glue on each side in addition of what you usually put, you will add weight.

Edited by stiltt - 03/21/2020 at 10:35pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 12:05am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

You are lucky to want head heavy when the heavier rubbers that came out in the last years made many people want the opposite.

I would suggest experimenting with oversized blades. If the regular size is 157x150, anything 162mm-158mm for example will be head heavier. 

The WRB Stiga system (what Donic calls SENSO) is also a route to take if that's not done yet: the hollow handle will make the feel head heavier.

Of course, as said above, if you boost and add 2 coats of water based glue on each side in addition of what you usually put, you will add weight.

I ve hammered lead wires to make it as flat as possible and then wrap it around the handle plus some tape so the gravity center wont be too ahead
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic