Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pendulum Serve Tutorial (VIDEO)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pendulum Serve Tutorial (VIDEO)
    Posted: 03/23/2020 at 3:00am
Hi All, hope you are all safe and well. 

Note: I screwed the topic title and forgot to put REVERSE in it!

I'm on day 9 stuck at home and hauled a table out of the garage. Threw my bed out of the way and setup a little area so I can now practice serves and make videos. Nothing too fancy, but hopefully the content is useful!

Edited by PingPongPom - 03/23/2020 at 7:27pm
http://mhtabletennis.com
Sponsored Links

Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 4:46am
Great video! You explain things bery well.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

Great video! You explain things bery well.

Thanks, trying to keep myself occupied and figured this was something i'd been wanting to do for a while! :) 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 5:28pm
Is good except it's a reverse pendulum tutorial not a pendulum tutorial Tongue
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 6:39pm
Really like how you start with moving the body into the serve, will be practicing this on my Kutchen table to see if it helps.

Edited by Simon_plays - 03/23/2020 at 7:27pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Is good except it's a reverse pendulum tutorial not a pendulum tutorial Tongue

This is clearly the effect of 10 days in isolation alone. Thanks, I will at least fix the thumbnail in the YT video. Epic Fail!
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 8:46pm
I just thought that since you were left handed you just considered that "your pendulum serve".   You lefties have everything backwards anyway so why should this be any different. Wink

Seriously, nice tutorial.  I really liked the "box" concept.  Had not heard that before.  Maybe you could add something about what you change to vary the spin.  The other thing I have difficulty executing is a surprise long reverse pendulum.  If I try to serve long the motion just seems way different early and no one is ever surprised.

Thanks again.

Mark - Whose ready position is now much better since the back injury prevents him from standing up straight.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I just thought that since you were left handed you just considered that "your pendulum serve".   You lefties have everything backwards anyway so why should this be any different. Wink

Seriously, nice tutorial.  I really liked the "box" concept.  Had not heard that before.  Maybe you could add something about what you change to vary the spin.  The other thing I have difficulty executing is a surprise long reverse pendulum.  If I try to serve long the motion just seems way different early and no one is ever surprised.

Thanks again.

Mark - Whose ready position is now much better since the back injury prevents him from standing up straight.

Backwards, and add that to the fact that I was raised in the Southern Hemisphere i'm all out of whack haha.

The long fast pendulum is hard, good thoughts - I will make a note of them!
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 7:58am
Hi,

Speaking of lefthandedness: Lefthandedness had long been viewed as a conundrum by those who study the evolution of humankind, for as societies developed in complexity, more structural changes occurred that favored the righthanded person.  From this it was thought that natural selection would eliminate the trait of lefthandedness.  This has not been the outcome, as approximately 10% of human populations are lefthanded.

The theory for an explanation of the retention of lefthandedness in humankind that holds the strongest support postulates that the one activity the lefthanded have an advantage in is fighting.  Fighting, in the forms that contain very serious consequences, becomes a factor in survival rates and status attainment (particularly with males), both influential elements in an individual's prospects of transgenerational gene transmission.

Competitive sports, viewed as a societal, organized tangent of fighting, have consistently reflected this handedness phenomenon in all sports where the hands function as critical apparatuses, in particular when there is direct interaction with opponents.  This is because the very large percentage of experience athletes have in these direct interactions is with righthanders; the lefthander is the anomaly.  The disproportionate presence of lefthanders in sports of this type is due to this advantage.  

Table tennis has its place in this discussion.  Following what has been found in baseball and tennis, some parents who started a child in the sport at an early age would switch the child to play as a lefthander.  These parents decided this commitment was worth the investment.

Viewing in the aggregate the elite international table tennis stars provides substance to the argument of the advantageousness of playing lefthanded, as the proportion of these players far exceeds the general population.  In the most controlled selection process in the sport, the Chinese National Team always has a significant number of team positions filled with the lefthanded, on both the men's and women's teams.

While one may accept the conclusion that lefthandedness is an advantage in table tennis, it is clear that the basis of this advantage is eliminated when the righthanders have sufficient exposure to lefthanded play, thus nullifying the benefit.

Thanks.  

Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 10:50am
Good tutorial Matt.  I really liked how you broke it down into 3 separate steps.  I've been doing this serve a lot lately, but haven't mastered it by any means.  Now that you broke it down for us I will practice it.  One thing I struggle with on this serve is being able to do topspin vs backspin.  I used to always get topspin on this serve when I did it, but now I'm getting better at getting underspin.  

Can you explain a little about how to get topspin vs backspin on this serve?

Thanks
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by PingPongPom PingPongPom wrote:

Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Thanks again.

Backwards, and add that to the fact that I was raised in the Southern Hemisphere i'm all out of whack haha.

The long fast pendulum is hard, good thoughts - I will make a note of them!

I think this serve is better if is not short 

Edited by mykonos96 - 03/24/2020 at 7:46pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Good tutorial Matt.  I really liked how you broke it down into 3 separate steps.  I've been doing this serve a lot lately, but haven't mastered it by any means.  Now that you broke it down for us I will practice it.  One thing I struggle with on this serve is being able to do topspin vs backspin.  I used to always get topspin on this serve when I did it, but now I'm getting better at getting underspin.  

Can you explain a little about how to get topspin vs backspin on this serve?

Thanks

Yes certainly something i'll add to my list!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic