Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MHTT Tutorial Videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MHTT Tutorial Videos
    Posted: 03/23/2020 at 11:09pm
Just figured since I'm locked down and will probably be making quite a few of these I would put them all in one place. Here's today's video!

http://mhtabletennis.com
Sponsored Links

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 4:54am
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 6:18pm
Thank you for the excellent videos!
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by metalone metalone wrote:

Thank you for the excellent videos!

Appreciate the good vibes, next one is cooking right now and will be up soon!
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 8:02pm
Thanks for the great videos, really appreciate it!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 9:36pm
Today's venture!

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 9:15am
FH flick videos please xD I can't get enough of FH flick videos lol
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 9:22am
Request:differences in serve motion or contact point for serving to different parts of the table.  
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 12:00pm
PPM: Good effort to stay busy! NJ or NZ?

IMHO, you have built enough 'online equity' to start monetizing via 'online coaching'. After all, at least in NJ, this lockdown could go on for months.

Ask us to send you our videos practicing with a robot (or even of prior games) and offer coaching (stroke correction, footwork correction, game tactics, etc) for a fee about 1/4 of live coaching. There should be a market. Trust me - this is even valuable service for many adults - while they do not mind spending $60 per hour on their kids' coaching, they feel guilty spending that much on their own.

My guess is that you do not need to spend more than 15 min total on watching the video / providing useful feedback, so it shall be helpful.

Edited by slevin - 03/26/2020 at 12:04pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Will definitely get to this once i'm out of isolation and the club opens again, I can't effectively teach these things without a robot or a training partner :P so it's mostly serve focused initially.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

PPM: Good effort to stay busy! NJ or NZ?

IMHO, you have built enough 'online equity' to start monetizing via 'online coaching'. After all, at least in NJ, this lockdown could go on for months.

Ask us to send you our videos practicing with a robot (or even of prior games) and offer coaching (stroke correction, footwork correction, game tactics, etc) for a fee about 1/4 of live coaching. There should be a market. Trust me - this is even valuable service for many adults - while they do not mind spending $60 per hour on their kids' coaching, they feel guilty spending that much on their own.

My guess is that you do not need to spend more than 15 min total on watching the video / providing useful feedback, so it shall be helpful.

I'm in New Jersey at the moment, 13th day at home and i'm by myself so it's been tough to keep myself occupied. 

It's definitely something I could look into and a great suggestion. If this does go on for a while then I will certainly have plenty of spare time before I move on to my next big project, so I will be working on trying to deliver as much coaching content as I can.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Request:differences in serve motion or contact point for serving to different parts of the table.  

Noted, I will probably put together a video on service placement and talk about depth, placement and direction. Will keep this in mind and hopefully get on to that in the next few vids!
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 3:58pm
thanks for posting the pendulum serve video that explains how to generate under vs side vs topspin.  I will work on adding that to my pendulum serve.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

thanks for posting the pendulum serve video that explains how to generate under vs side vs topspin.  I will work on adding that to my pendulum serve.

No problem! It was a great topic suggestion and very relevant, hope it helps :)
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by PingPongPom PingPongPom wrote:

Will definitely get to this once i'm out of isolation and the club opens again, I can't effectively teach these things without a robot or a training partner :P so it's mostly serve focused initially.

Damn.... but I think you could probably still talk about it and show some movements? Tips would be quite useful imo. Especially the contact movements. My practice partner has an amazing flick on both sides which he varies the type of contact, all producing quite different spins and speed which really throws me off (some even have backspin and some strange sidespin on them, yuck!) 

For me serves are the strongest part of my game by far and I can pretty much serve almost every single FH serve in existence...
-------
Viscaria

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 12:52am

Damn.... but I think you could probably still talk about it and show some movements? Tips would be quite useful imo. Especially the contact movements. My practice partner has an amazing flick on both sides which he varies the type of contact, all producing quite different spins and speed which really throws me off (some even have backspin and some strange sidespin on them, yuck!) 

For me serves are the strongest part of my game by far and I can pretty much serve almost every single FH serve in existence...

Don't worry I will get to it sooner rather than later :D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 1:01am
Today's video on improving service deception, focuses on contacting the bottom of the ball to generate spin in different directions.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 2:21am
Today's video on the high toss serve!

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 4:03pm

For some reason I can't get a good tomahawk
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

For some reason I can't get a good tomahawk

I can add that to my list and do my best, not a serve I use commonly but I will look into it.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2020 at 1:16am
A simple one today, something cool coming tomorrow :D

Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2020 at 6:50am
These are great, thanks!
Grab my game-changing new book and to your game to the next level!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2020 at 12:35am
Next installment is the topspin kick hook serve!

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2020 at 1:06am

Next installment is the topspin kick hook serve!

This is the most deceptive serve ever imo...so difficult to read :(
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2020 at 1:33am

Today's video on improving service deception, focuses on contacting the bottom of the ball to generate spin in different directions.

Thanks a lot for this one. My standard backspin serve always had a lot of sidespin too, and it was because I was doing it like how you mentioned to do the sidespin here. I've been focusing on changing it to a pure (or closer to pure) backspin serve, which is actually how you've mentioned it.

The new one that I enjoyed hearing about is the topspin variation. Now I know why every now and then I would intend to serve my side-underspin serve. My opponent pushes it and it just pops out or really high for me to smash for a winner. The look on my opponent's face was to be honest just as confused as me haha. Now I know I was probably tightening my racket towards my body instead.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2020 at 1:36am

Yes fortunately it's too late for most people to adapt to be aggressive once it bounces, has been very useful for me in matches :)

Actually I would say 80% of developing and intermediate players cannot serve a good backspin variation of it, so I usually prepare to flick or loop when I see people winding up for it.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2020 at 1:37am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Thanks a lot for this one. My standard backspin serve always had a lot of sidespin too, and it was because I was doing it like how you mentioned to do the sidespin here. I've been focusing on changing it to a pure (or closer to pure) backspin serve, which is actually how you've mentioned it.

The new one that I enjoyed hearing about is the topspin variation. Now I know why every now and then I would intend to serve my side-underspin serve. My opponent pushes it and it just pops out or really high for me to smash for a winner. The look on my opponent's face was to be honest just as confused as me haha. Now I know I was probably tightening my racket towards my body instead.

Hah, yes it's always better when you can throw out those serve variations intentionally instead of by accident ;) hopefully this helps you be able to do that!
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2020 at 3:24am

Yes fortunately it's too late for most people to adapt to be aggressive once it bounces, has been very useful for me in matches :)

Actually I would say 80% of developing and intermediate players cannot serve a good backspin variation of it, so I usually prepare to flick or loop when I see people winding up for it.

I actually serve a very heavy sidebackspin variant of it, and without fail people see my motion and think "sidetopspin 80% of the time" and just dump it straight into the net lol... I'm having trouble generating very heavy sidetopspin without it being too obvious tho, I think you definitely served some very heavy sidetopspin in your video and it definitely looked like it could be easily disguised with my sidebackspin movement. Your wrist movement is still up to down from the receivers point of  used. I used to serve the side topspin with a down to up wrist movement like a reverse pendulum movement, but that seems to be quite easily detected haha, I've since switched back to using the forearm pronation method of serving sidetopspin which is better with deception, I think you're also using the same method...

The weird thing is I can disguise the spin well and I know how it works, but I still eat this serve for breakfast (my training partner serves a really wicked version of it too)

Tbh I feel like the hardest part of the hook serve is actually keeping it short. It just doesn't offer the same amount of length control compared to a reverse pendulum.

Edited by blahness - 03/30/2020 at 3:32am
-------
Viscaria

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2020 at 1:54pm

I actually serve a very heavy sidebackspin variant of it, and without fail people see my motion and think "sidetopspin 80% of the time" and just dump it straight into the net lol... I'm having trouble generating very heavy sidetopspin without it being too obvious tho, I think you definitely served some very heavy sidetopspin in your video and it definitely looked like it could be easily disguised with my sidebackspin movement. Your wrist movement is still up to down from the receivers point of  used. I used to serve the side topspin with a down to up wrist movement like a reverse pendulum movement, but that seems to be quite easily detected haha, I've since switched back to using the forearm pronation method of serving sidetopspin which is better with deception, I think you're also using the same method...

The weird thing is I can disguise the spin well and I know how it works, but I still eat this serve for breakfast (my training partner serves a really wicked version of it too)

Tbh I feel like the hardest part of the hook serve is actually keeping it short. It just doesn't offer the same amount of length control compared to a reverse pendulum.

Yea it's so commonly topspin that any player who has a good deceptive backspin variation usually does well. 

I find this serve relentlessly hard to keep short, I have to brush the ball quite soft which is not really ideal at all. I usually just go for broke and go half long and get as much kick as I can :D
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2020 at 6:19pm

Yea it's so commonly topspin that any player who has a good deceptive backspin variation usually does well. 

I find this serve relentlessly hard to keep short, I have to brush the ball quite soft which is not really ideal at all. I usually just go for broke and go half long and get as much kick as I can :D

Haha yeah you almost trade length control for deception with the hook serve... But with more spin you just win more direct points to be honest so it more than compensates... 

Edited by blahness - 03/30/2020 at 6:20pm
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic