Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why JAN-Ove Waldner, Timo Boll, Samsonov - able to
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Why JAN-Ove Waldner, Timo Boll, Samsonov - able to

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thebosshn View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebosshn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why JAN-Ove Waldner, Timo Boll, Samsonov - able to
    Posted: 03/28/2020 at 10:57am

Why are European table tennis legends like Vladimir Samsonov, Timo Boll or Waldner able to play at the top of the world so long, while Chinese athletes often take a break early?

This is my Opinons. What about you? Speaking of us, you and me, the Amateur players, which play style do you choose? The path of speed and power like the Chinese, or the path of feeling and control like European legends? Comment below to let us know.

Edited by thebosshn - 03/28/2020 at 10:58am
PING CENTURY MEDIA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSy40DWiLElw3saaq8bGJJQ
Sponsored Links

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by thebosshn thebosshn wrote:

Why are European table tennis legends like Vladimir Samsonov, Timo Boll or Waldner able to play at the top of the world so long, while Chinese athletes often take a break early?

This is my Opinons. What about you? Speaking of us, you and me, the Amateur players, which play style do you choose? The path of speed and power like the Chinese, or the path of feeling and control like European legends? Comment below to let us know.

Because they dont have a lot of competition on their countries. Ma long must play excruciating matches to may players that can beat him.one year in china is like 2 or 3 years in europe. Kong said that his body cant stand trying to beat so much chinese juniors
Ni xia liang is playing international since 1981 now playing for luxemburg nobody cant beat in her country

Another factor is that you have a lot of players that can take your spot 

Edited by mykonos96 - 03/28/2020 at 12:30pm
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 1:00pm
how about analogy of performance car vs Toyota 
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2020 at 1:49pm
Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have a training regimen that focuses big time on recovery and body maintenance. Deep tissue massages, stretching etc...the new advanced ways to heal and prevent injuries help tremendously. I suppose Timo and Vladi are well aware of those methods.

The CNT players do not need to maintain the body that long because the pressure of the incoming youth is too high and before they need to think how they will manage their body for advanced years in their career, they are already outplayed so it does not matter.

As said earlier in the thread, it's all about the players reservoirs for each national team: if they are all the same size relatively to their ITTF share (a national team is a national team),  China's is so fuller that the ensuing pressure pops new dragons that kick the ones in place out.

One additional note: when an Euro player loses a match, he does not get pointed at and questioned about their participation to any international competition; but because their players reserves, a loss has much more significance in China and carries heftier penalties; the pressure is so high on them and that's why they can have those godly moments in their short careers.

The OP question has to be temporized though: it is less and less true that Chinese players won't play late. Ma Long might win the Olympics and WTTC singles 2021 even if it looks less and less likely. I can't imagine FZD any weak by the time he is 30, especially when like Ma Long, his tactics evolve towards a more mature and complete game, whatever that means. Just like Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, Ma Long and FZD might take advantage of those new body maintenance techniques, outlast the typical career span of a Chines CNT leader and start a new trend where CNT has leaders in their early 30s on a regular basis. After all, little geniuses like WCQ do not pop that often.

Edited by stiltt - 03/28/2020 at 1:51pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2020 at 3:46am
My opinion is that conventional TT technique is flawed, especially on lumbar rotation and bending, not to mention knees not aligned with the feet when bearing weight. 

So the more TT players are exposed to high level competition the faster their body breaks down (CNT). Timo and Waldner had to selectively play tournaments to allow their body to recover, and Samsonov has a healthier, relaxed style so it's not so bad for him, but that is also why he is less successful than Timo and Waldner imo.

Tennis players who do not play with good technique also have bad longevity. But most top tennis players have good technique except for Nadal. 

Edited by blahness - 03/29/2020 at 3:48am
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2020 at 6:42am
Originally posted by wrote:

, while Chinese athletes often take a break early?

The answer is simple.  CNT members smoke.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2020 at 3:01pm
I didn't find most of these posts very helpful in this discussion (no disrespect intended), so I thought I'd add my two cents worth.

1) Every nation knows that you need to make space for the up-and-coming players even before your current top players are done being champions.  Obviously, the current top players don't want to stop before they're done, but it's in the interest of the country's sports progress to have lots of turnover and keep raising fresh champions.

The Chinese are very determined in following  this policy.  It's not that the older players can't compete with the younger players, it's that the government specifically doesn't want to hold on to the older players too long.  The government is willing to push our older players who are still champions, but not as dominating as they once were, to make room for the next generation.  That's a long standing policy in Chinese management of their sports.

By comparison, European governments don't have the level of authority to do that and they have more interest in catering to the fans (who become emotionally invested in the older champions).  So in Europe, you can, if you want to and if you can stay competitive, continue playing indefinitely.  The more notorious (and tragic) example of this is the Swedish team of the 1990s.  The Swedes kept the same players at the top more-or-less from the late 80s to the early 2000s, and made little effort to raise up their young.  The result was that when the older champions finally did retire, there were very few promising players behind the.

2) There is also a question of playing style.  The top Chinese players all pretty much play based on superb athleticism.  That style is hard on the body and also diminishes with age.  They are naturally going to have shorter TT lifespans.

The alternative are styles that depend more on skills and touch.  The players that OP mentioned -- Waldner, Samsonov -- Boll, all fit into this category.  Heck, how else can you explain Waldner's success at the 2004 Olympics?  These styles not only aren't so hard on their bodies, but can actually improve as they get older, since they gain more experience.

I'm particularly interested in Timo Boll because he's my favorite.  His style has always been a mix of athleticism and touch, but he's done an incredible job adjusting his playing style and tactics over the last few years to emphasize tactics in place of athleticism.  Few players have done such an amazing adjustment.

I will add that I think the advent of the 40+ ball puts more emphasis on pure athleticism and less on skills and tactics.  As a result, I think we will see more successful younger players and few older players hanging on in the future.    I don't see this as being good for our sport, but it does seem inevitable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic