FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blade suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade suggestion
    Posted: 04/02/2020 at 4:01pm
I'm looking to buy a new Shakehand blade, currently on the fence of either: Harimoto Innerforce ZLC, Harimoto ALC (IF ALC essentially), or a Viscaria. I recalled the Innerforce-like series line is slow compared to regular ALC or ZLC, I did not enjoy the Innerforce ZLC when I used it a few years ago.  Viscaria I have used it and am ok with the speed and spin.  

Basically, I tried to purchase a blade that a player uses whose playing style is very similar to mine.  My game is very backhand RPB oriented which involves RPB looping and punch blocks.  I think the Harimoto ALC would be nice considering those two offensive styles are what Harimoto uses the most.  And with increased dwell time, this would allow my shots to be more consistent which has always been a problem.

But with the introduction of the Harimoto ZLC, or even Super ZLC,  I'm wondering if I should give one of these a try.  I owned the Mizutani Super ZLC before and loved it for its offensiveness and speed and soft touch, so I'm wondering if Harimoto will be just like it but just a tad slower?

Any pointers in choosing a blade will be appreciated.

P.S. I've also considered TB ALC, ZJK SZLC, Apolonia ZLC, and another aspect of my blade selection criteria is how well it looks after many hours of playing, in which the handle will be tainted with sweat stains and such.  Trying to stay away from bright colors like red, yellow, etc. because once tainted, the discoloration will look really off. 

Thanks!

Edited by liulin04 - 04/02/2020 at 4:02pm
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2020 at 4:19pm
I have no desire to test anything anymore since I tried multiple times then bought the Apolonia. I was always curious about the Kenta ALC though, it reminds me of the KLHS simplicity: core + 1 ALC and 1 outer on each side and that's it (3 wood, 2 alc). Some pros switched to it when it came out but it never fully took off, I still wonder why.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2020 at 4:32pm
A TB ALC and a Viscaria will be extremely similar. More handle shape and how the wings feel that any difference in how they play. The TB ALC blue fades and becomes dirty, so maybe not a good choice for you.

For purely personal reasons, I suggest you buy a Butterfly Revoldia CNF. I would like someone to review it who isn't sponsored by Butterfly. Smile
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2020 at 4:19am
I purchased the Harimoto Super ZLC.  I owned a MJ SZLC before, although I liked it, I thought it was a bit fast for the kind of risky shots I was making.  Hopefully with the new Harimoto SZLC, my "risky" shots will now become "safe" shots
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 10:14pm
hi Liulin, please let me know your comments when you have tried the Harimoto SZLC. Thank you.
The SZLC is placed in the inner or outer side ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 10:49pm
Hi Liulin04. You do know that the players whose blades you are talking about probably play with special blades custom made for them and not with the retail versions which are totally differnt. If you pay Butterfly an arm and a leg they will custom make one for you which is not guaranteed to be the same either. My blade suggestion is that you try different combinations until you find the right one for your game. A good coach who is not sponsored, or who is not interested in making money off of you can really help.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2020 at 1:09am
Are you kidding? Zhang Jike is his own idol and liulin04 is his own coach Big smile

The Harimoto Super ZLC is a flagship for an EJ admiral. It has the advantage to put at rest all reviews and tests, you get one of those and you're done; and screw the time wasting in testing crap! LOL At its speed range I suppose it can satisfy a vast range of players, especially all those who already play something too fast anyway, like me. No doubt I would like it.

My ideal short collection today is resumed to a Violin st 92gm, a MJ st old edition 93gr and an Apolonia fl 87gr, the 3 blades that impressed me the most since the beginning, the Apolonia making the most sense for a lot of people way below and way above my level if one and only one blade should be chosen for ever.

To that dream trio I can add my matching Hinoki Ghost st 91gr though, they are really the best of all for my game, especially for blocking and countering; guessing I am a snob and always come back to a heavy Violin when I want to play all wood and to the Apolonia if I want it all without any exaggeration anywhere. 

The original MJ is purely emotional, because it started the zlc era and is a lighthouse in the history of blades. The fact it is so spinny, reliable and predictable despite the high speed always made it special to me.

Can't wait to read reviews of the HSZLC.

Edited by stiltt - 04/08/2020 at 1:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic