Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PLEASE REMOVE.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jpenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PLEASE REMOVE.
    Posted: 04/06/2020 at 11:24am
PLEASE REMOVE.

Edited by jpenman - 06/13/2021 at 5:59am
Sponsored Links

mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2020 at 7:14pm
I believe this question is similar to "Which is better: Tenergy 05 or [PUT RANDOM RUBBER HERE]". In general, this is a personal preference and you'll find your answer only by trying out. There's no way around, sorry. 

But please keep in mind, although Darker produces very high quality blades, they have smaller face dimensions compared to Butterfly's. 

Edited by mischasln - 04/07/2020 at 5:16am
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2020 at 9:16pm
My Butterfly Cypress G-Max is 115 grams!
dsc13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2020 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by mischasln mischasln wrote:

But please keep in mind, although Darker produces very high quality blades, they have smaller face dimensions compared to Butterfly's. 

This is not true for all Darker blades.  I recently purchased a Square Darker Jpen Speed 20, and the blade has the same dimensions as my Butterfly Cypress T-Max.  I also have a Round Jpen Speed 20, and it is significantly smaller than the Butterfly.

ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 2:15am
It depends on the particular blade. The best blade I've ever had is a 105 g  Victas Dynabeat despite being narrower. I wouldnt trade it for 3 Butterfly G-MAX.
 Generally, if you pick one Butterfly G-MAX and one Darker Speed 90 with the same weight, probably  chances are that  the Speed 90 is going to be better in 8 out of 10 cases.

Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
jpenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 2:39am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

My Butterfly Cypress G-Max is 115 grams!

Wow, that's heavy! Shocked
jpenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 2:43am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

It depends on the particular blade. The best blade I've ever had is a 105 g  Victas Dynabeat despite being narrower. I wouldnt trade it for 3 Butterfly G-MAX.
 Generally, if you pick one Butterfly G-MAX and one Darker Speed 90 with the same weight, probably  chances are that  the Speed 90 is going to be better in 8 out of 10 cases.

Could you please explain why exactly the Speed 90 is better in 8 out of 10 situations?

My RSM G-Max also feels quite powerful and I like it. 
jpenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 2:45am
And is it true that a heavier blade is more powerful than a lighter one
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 4:49am
Originally posted by jpenman jpenman wrote:

Put it this way.
You have an everyday road car. You want to run it on the drag strip. So you strip it down, modify the suspension and engine. It is now much suited to getting a faster time. However, for normal driving duties it is now not very good.
Same with a heavy blade. Fast for that wonderful driving loop of yours, but weak at everything else, unless you have strong wrists and shoulders of course.
My best feeling Darker S90 ever, weighed about 195g. However, with an all-in bat weight of 198g it was just too much of a burden.
Generally most players want a complete bat that weighs 188-192g. I personally think that Darker got the typical shake-hand specs right with; thickness of 10mm, 156x149mm size and weight of 184-188g.
YMMVSmile

Oops!, I just realised that you are probably a penholder. Different needs...
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 5:15am
Originally posted by dsc13 dsc13 wrote:

Originally posted by mischasln mischasln wrote:

This is not true for all Darker blades.  I recently purchased a Square Darker Jpen Speed 20, and the blade has the same dimensions as my Butterfly Cypress T-Max.  I also have a Round Jpen Speed 20, and it is significantly smaller than the Butterfly.

jpenman is referring to a Darker Speed 90 which are 255 x 135 mm.

Edited by mischasln - 04/07/2020 at 5:17am
mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 6:08am

Let's make a road trip to basic physics. If you consider the bat and the ball as system, and the contact is momentum conserving, then:

If you have a light bat L and a heavy bat H, and they both contact the same ball, at the same velocity, bat H will have transferred more of its momentum to the ball, and the ball will be moving faster.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 6:38am

Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Could you please explain why exactly the Speed 90 is better in 8 out of 10 situations?

My RSM G-Max also feels quite powerful and I like it. 

Recently, Butterfly have been using very poor quality hinoki which they mark as grade S but it is a hinoki that 20 years ago would be used for their Senkoh line. My 30 years old Senkoh 1 is made of higher quality hinoki than my RSM G-MAX. Of course, there are some very good Butterfly Cypress G-MAX/RSM -G-MAX blades but you have to handpick them. I think it is safe to say 1 or 2 in 10 would be of the same quality as Darker Speed 90. While the quality of Darker Speed 90 does not vary so much from blade to blade. All I have seen are good.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 04/07/2020 at 6:38am
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
jpenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 10:01am
First of all, thanks for the answers.

My final question now is:

Should I switch from my <90g BTY RSM G-Max to a heavy Darker Speed 90? 

Edited by jpenman - 04/07/2020 at 10:47am
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 2:20pm

My final question now is:
Should I switch from my <90g BTY RSM G-Max to a heavy Darker Speed 90? 
The ONLY answer, IMHO, is: Whatever suits your style of play or whatever makes you comfortable.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 2:41pm
If you are looking for more speed why are you looking at Speed 90 ? Speed 70 is what you want if you are looking to purchase a Darker blade since its faster than Speed 90.  Are you looking to still stay at 10mm?  There are 10.5 and 11mm blades now.  With Hinoki you rely on the factory separating wood on appearance and tone. Tone will tell you more about speed more than grain if the blades weigh a similar amount.  
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic