FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Grippy vs Tacky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaenWong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaenWong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grippy vs Tacky
    Posted: 05/08/2020 at 3:00pm
I was trying understand the difference but only get more confused/

My understanding so far is that stickiness is mostly a property of top sheet whereas grippiness is mostly a property of sponge meaning a grippy rubber sheet has no so sticky top-sheet but grippiness is obtained from sponge and boosting / regluing.

So does that mean Chinese rubbers like hurricane are both sticky and grippy (with boosting)  and is that why Chinese top players use it ? So where does that leave the likes of Tenergy or Euro counter-parts, which clearly do not have a sticky top sheet   
Sponsored Links

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2020 at 3:42pm
Hi,

I was trying understand the difference but only get more confused/

Feel not bad about being confused; instead feel as if you have become a member of a very large group.

In the post above, two words (Grippy and Tacky) are used in the title to reference the topic.  In the body to the text, two words are used (grippy and sticky) for the same purpose.

Your membership is secured.

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2020 at 6:41pm
grippy is the feeling of resistance without artificial tack (TOPSHEET property) - like tenergy/esn

tacky is different, chinese rubber
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

grippy is the feeling of resistance without artificial tack (TOPSHEET property) - like tenergy/esn

tacky is different, chinese rubber

Agreed, I think of tacky as sticky - being able to pick up a ball.

Grippy is more about resistance to sliding across the topsheet when you pull the ball across it.  

Tackiness can make a rubber feel grippier, but tackiness has the property of releasing the ball slower  than a grippy rubber.  This can be a good thing in some circumstances (short game) or a bad thing in some (when smashing or far off the table).
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2020 at 12:36am
MUSCULAR INFIRMITY.

Infirm person will never have enough ability to make a good use of tacky rubbers, just for want of muscular vigour. Sorry,
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2020 at 10:03am
what next level said
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
SeanDerin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanDerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

MUSCULAR INFIRMITY.

Infirm person will never have enough ability to make a good use of tacky rubbers, just for want of muscular vigour. Sorry,

Igor,

Lot of your translations are coming out real funny

But it seems you like to use the word "muscularity" a lot LOL

Anyway correct me if i am wrong but what you are trying say is that tacky rubbers are for people who do not have the muscular power to be able to use grippy rubbers ? If so what is wrong with that ? What is wrong with generating spin using different technique ? 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2020 at 8:37pm
it's the opposite. He's saying it takes more strength to use tacky. 
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Medax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 11:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic