Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative way to cut a rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative way to cut a rubber
    Posted: 05/19/2020 at 6:15am
Anorher way to cut a rubber with chickens on the background.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2020 at 9:59pm
That's how I always do it! I like to put the racket at the corner of the table instead of the edge so that I can cut it all without having to rotate the racket at all. I can just shift my body around the corner of the table. Not sure if that makes sense haha.
timoboll89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2020 at 1:53am
lol don’t release those chickens or they will hunt you
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2020 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

That's how I always do it! I like to put the racket at the corner of the table instead of the edge so that I can cut it all without having to rotate the racket at all. I can just shift my body around the corner of the table. Not sure if that makes sense haha.

I do that too. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 8:21pm
When do you actually glue it and how best not to put on straight?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 10:37pm
Personally I glue it on before I cut it.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 11:47pm
For those who change rubbers a lot, the shrinkage must be consider. This is the reason I never glue a rubber before cutting. I always cut it slightly bigger than the blade and then glue it.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 10:36am
Is that only with boosting? I've never had a problem with rubbers shrinking. Do you mean change rubbers as in use one for a bit, switch to another and switch back? I think the rubbers might seem smaller after I take them off, but I've only ever taken them off to replace them with a newer one.
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 11:05am
The shrinking can happen with boosted and pre-tensioned rubbers after using them for a while. It might happen with other rubbers as well (I've seen it happen with a very heavily used sheet of Tenergy, though to a lower degree), but I haven't tried them all so I can't say for sure.
I've switched a pre-tensioned rubber from one blade to another after a year or so of play, and it did 'shrink.' It's most likely due to the tensioning/boosting stretching the rubber and then losing some of that elasticity over time, so when you take it off it springs back to a smaller size.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Is that only with boosting? I've never had a problem with rubbers shrinking. Do you mean change rubbers as in use one for a bit, switch to another and switch back? I think the rubbers might seem smaller after I take them off, but I've only ever taken them off to replace them with a newer one.
This is the opposite I do. I have a lot of blades but of course I don´t have all of them covered with rubbers. I have only one pair of rubber.
So when I want to test a new combo I take the rubbers off and glue them on the new blade. After doing that three or four times the rubbers shrink a lot.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

When do you actually glue it and how best not to put on straight?

I glue after cutting it. When you glue it it will expand a bit and shrink back after 2 weeks. If you remove it then reglue it, it will fit nicely to the blade without the need to stretch it. 

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 1:24am
Interesting. I guess it was never a problem for me since I only use 1 blade and 1 set of rubbers, only replacing them when they're too old.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic