Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Xiom Omega 7 China Ying (60) and Guang (55)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Omega 7 China Ying (60) and Guang (55)
    Posted: 06/02/2020 at 12:54pm
There is my review and comparison of the 2 newest rubbers from Xiom

Xiom Omega 7 China Guang

Weight: 70 grams (uncut)
Hardness: 55 degrees ESN Scale
Speed: Offensive +
Spin: Extremely High

Xiom Omega 7 China Ying
Weight: 72 grams (uncut)
Hardness: 60 degrees ESN Scale
Speed: Offensive ++
Spin: Extremely High

These rubbers are the latest rubbers from Xiom that are supposed to compete with Butterfly Dignics 09C. I do not have the Dignics 09C so I cannot compare it directly with these 2 rubbers. I only had Tenergy 05H and Dignics 05 in the past for direct comparison. The topsheet of these 2 rubbers are slightly tacky. If compared to the Vega China rubber, the Omega 7 China rubbers are much less tacky. The Vega China is super tacky like a Chinese rubber while Omega 7 China Ying and Guang are only slightly tacky wherein the wax paper-like cover sticks to it even after you have removed it from the rubber, cleaned it and stick it back on to the rubber but it is not tacky enough to pick up the ball like Vega China and Tau II rubbers. If I try to stick the wax paper-like cover to other rubbers like Omega 7 Asia or Hyper, that will not stick to those rubbers. I could say that the topsheets has a much grippier topsheets than both Tenergy and Dignics 05 rubbers. Both red and black rubbers of Ying and Guang are equally almost non-tacky while Xiom Tau II both red and black rubbers are very tacky. The pip structures of the O7C topsheets are short like the Xiom Tau II. For the hardness, you can really feel the hardness of the sponge of the 2 rubbers. Supposedly, the Omega 7 Hyper was to have a 60 degree sponge but it was not released to the market. Now, the Ying version is 60 and I think this is the hardest ESN rubber in the market right now. Xiom is one of the first company to have 55 degree rubbers if not the first. I think now they are the first to have 60 degree rubbers. Mind you, the sponge of both rubbers are very hard and if you lack the skill, Xiom will advise you to choose other rubbers among its other excellent line of rubbers. This is not for the faint hearted. I weighed the cut Guang and Ying rubbers on a 2.1mm thickness. The Hugo SAL and 36.5 Deep Impact ALX have blade head size of 157x150mm and the Ying weighs 51.8 grams cut while the Guang weighs 50 grams cut.

I glued rubbers onto the Hugo SAL, 36.5 Deep Impact ALX and both the AZXi and AZX (new versions) for this test. It took me quite a while to review these rubbers due to the lockdown and the delay of the freight plus the fact that I only had a return board initially but eventually got some people to play with me and test the rubbers and blades altogether. When I tested these 2 rubbers, I also compared it with the Omega 7 Asia and Hyper for references to give a clearer picture about these rubbers. Initially, both the Omega 7 and Hyper rubbers are more bouncy than the Omega 7 China rubbers but when you start hitting with these rubbers, the Omega 7 China rubbers are faster. This is due to the very hard sponge
that initially it does not feel as bouncy but when you compress the sponge more, it will have a higher speed potential. With not much effort or sponge compression, the Omega 7 China rubbers are fast but
the potential speed need to be tapped in order for it to be used. So it is obvious that these rubbers are for players who have the ability to utilize the sponge in order to use more power. Average players can only maximize rubbers to a limited degree but the Omega 7 China rubbers need a certain level of skill and the skills for these rubbers are those of a high level player. In fairness, the Omega 7 China rubbers,
both the Guang and Ying versions are dynamic and have gears. They can be slow and fast depending on the usage. For speed reference compared with other rubbers, both Guang and Ying rubbers are faster than Tenergy 05H and Dignics 05. When the Tau II and Omega 7 China rubbers are compared for speed, the Omega 7 China rubbers are still fast even far from the table. The Tau II is only for close to the table play and to some extent mid-distance from the table. The Xiom Tau II is not that bouncy when you do a bounce test. It behaves like a Chinese rubber that due to its tackiness, the ball does not bounce that much. If comparing both Guang and Ying rubbers, the Ying feels faster in some instances. I would theorize that the 60 degree hardness of the Ying rubber needed more sponge compression than the Guang version. Even in Xiom’s ratings, the Ying is faster by a few notches. 

How spinny are the Omega 7 China rubbers? Let me go back to the Omega 7 Asia rubber, It is as spinny as Tenergy 05. When the Omega 7 Hyper came out I felt that the Hyper was the clear more spinny rubber than T05, T05H and Dignics 05. The Xiom Tau II is very spinny and when your stroke is more of a brushing stroke on loops with a thin contact, it is much more spinny than the Omega 7 China rubbers but when you are at the point that you do full swings away from the table, the Omega 7 China rubbers are much spinny. This is due to the sponge adding more spin and power to your shots. If you do serves and push chops, the Xiom Tau II is much more spinny. I would rate the Omega 7 China and Hyper rubbers as almost equal in spin on serves and push chops. Both the Omega 7 Guang and Ying have a medium low arc when looping against underspin but with the Guang version having a slightly lower arc.
Both Guang and Ying rubbers would shine starting on mid-distance away from the table and even more at far distance. The strong counter topspins and loops away from the table are the very strong points of both rubbers and this is the reason that these 2 rubbers are for higher level players. Even half-long underspin balls can be easily looped above the table due to the high grip of the Guang and Ying rubbers.

For smashing, both are very fast near or away from the table. In some cases, the very hard sponges sometimes assist in even smashing high underspin balls to some extent. For blocks, you would need to adjust a bit more on your angle and tightness of grip for the handle because they are a bit bouncy when blocking. When you love doing punch blocking, both rubbers are excellent.

For the blade compatibility, I would suggest to people not to use blades faster than carbon-arylate blades due to the bounciness and hardness of the sponges. I think the Hugo SAL and 36.5 blades are perfectly compatible with the Guang and Ying rubbers because the 2 mentioned blades have some sort of soft feel. In fact, these 2 rubbers are for medium or medium soft blades or flex blades. I did try this on the Ice cream AZX but it was blazingly fast and a bit challenging on the control side. If you use a 5 ply all wood blade like Xiom Offensive S or All Around S, the combination with both Guang and Ying rubbers still feels like using a very fast blade with fast rubbers. Basing on some reviews of the Dignics 09c, I could say that the O7C rubbers can give a run for it money but the with some adjustments on the much harder sponges.

I also noticed that the 2 rubbers do not shrink after gluing them to the blade and removing them. I cut the 2 rubbers tradition. This maybe be attributed by the very hard sponge.

Xiom Omega 7 China - Guang

Xiom Omega 7 China - Ying

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 12:05pm
The only thing is that Ying 2.1 is 81g uncut, and when cut to 150x157 it is 57g. I am wondering what thickness yogi weighted?

Very solid rubbers, Guang is clearly for BH. Does not feel like it is hard. Ying is FH rubber, and also does not feel like brick, not even close. As expected guang is faster in close to the table game as it has more of a tensor feel.

Topsheets are very grippy. Your spin is limited by your skills. The next level would be tacky classic Chinese like H3 when new. Well done Xiom. Handshake

In my opinion these two products completely killed Rakza line. I cannot imagine anyone trying these would come back to rakza again. Especially silly to Rakza Z.
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 4:20pm
These batches were the pre-market samples. The newer ones are heavy at 79 grams for Ying. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2020 at 9:12am
These batches were the pre-market samples. The newer ones are heavy at 79 grams for Ying.

I did not know that. They are also slower. I cannot call H60 Ying a super fast rubber. Just normal speed as one would expect from hard Omega, easy to control.
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2020 at 2:11am
the speed is slower compared to Hyper and VII Tour 

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2020 at 10:14am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

the speed is slower compared to Hyper and VII Tour 
O7 Hyper is a beast. I have one in my BH and the feeling is something very heavy and powerful, with tons of spin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic