FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Pivoting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pivoting
    Posted: 06/13/2020 at 8:43pm
I just seen a tutorial from Ryu for a super quick steparound attack by just moving the left leg out of the way (1 step!) which is super interesting since it seems to be very fast!

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2020 at 6:03am
Well he is already in a forehand oriented location after he serves. Dunno what beat means in the translation though. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2020 at 7:31am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Well he is already in a forehand oriented location after he serves. Dunno what beat means in the translation though. 

Beat looks like it's referring to the timing...

I think his movement is super efficient though...so the idea seems to be you don't need to rotate your body into the ready position so fast, you can wait for the incoming receive to decide. So if it comes to your BH you can just pivot by moving your left leg out of the way, and if it comes to the FH it should be basically just right leg stepping to the right and then you'll be in position to loop...

Edited by blahness - 06/14/2020 at 7:44am
-------
Viscaria

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2020 at 7:47am
That works if you play jpen and have RSM footwork to cover balls to your wide fh.  For the rest of us, not so much.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2020 at 8:08am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

That works if you play jpen and have RSM footwork to cover balls to your wide fh.  For the rest of us, not so much.

Lol haha that's true....he's RSM the footwork God after all!

I think it could be part of some pattern plays which limit your opponents directional choice though. For eg a very high quality sidespin pendulum to the opponent's BH short corner would be very hard to control down the line to the deep FH, so most receives will be in the BH corner where you're already waiting to pounce on. 
-------
Viscaria

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2020 at 10:52am
seems like Deng yaping did this. To me she looked like she would just hop into position a lot. I'm sure it was more complicated. And her feet more together

Edited by cole_ely - 06/14/2020 at 10:52am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2020 at 9:57pm
I wonder if it's a pen thing. One of the guys I know who plays Jpen does that a lot. He doesn't pivot both legs. Just moves his left leg and leans his body out of the way while taking the ball early. He's also in his 50s though.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2020 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I wonder if it's a pen thing. One of the guys I know who plays Jpen does that a lot. He doesn't pivot both legs. Just moves his left leg and leans his body out of the way while taking the ball early. He's also in his 50s though.

I don't think it's a Jpen thing, it should be applicable for whoever wants to attack with the forehand after the serve.

It seems like it's more of an optionality provided by the narrow stance after the serve, as both legs are near the backhand corner. So for eg if you had to cover deep FH you would just need to move your right leg to the right and you would have covered it. If you had to pivot then just move your left leg to the left. So pretty much you can cover almost everything with FH with 1 or 2 steps at most. 

If you were in a wide stance directly after the serve with the right leg near the centreline after the serve then it'll take 3 steps to pivot rather than 1 which is a lot slower (as RSM demonstrated). But of course those who go back to wide stances immediately after the serve do not usually intend to pivot but rather prefer to take balls with their backhand. 
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2020 at 8:41pm
Yeah, I can definitely see anyone using it. Personally I feel like if I'm able to move my right leg (left hander) out of the way, I would have been able to pivot both feet. But maybe this is why my pivot is weak. I might be a little late so I end up playing a softer ball.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic