Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tennis elbow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tennis elbow
    Posted: 06/28/2020 at 9:14pm
Would like to know about this, if anyone's got it before, how did they overcome it, and are there any known pitfalls to avoid getting it?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2020 at 9:18pm
A friend of mine had a pretty serious case of tennis elblow. I think acupuncture helped him quite a bit. 
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2020 at 9:44pm
I think my forehand stroke was a little off which caused the tennis elbow.  When I fixed the stroke the problem went away.  May not be your problem though.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2020 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I think my forehand stroke was a little off which caused the tennis elbow.  When I fixed the stroke the problem went away.  May not be your problem though.

Could you describe the issue and what did you fix?

I don't have tennis elbow but would just like to look into it...
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

A friend of mine had a pretty serious case of tennis elblow. I think acupuncture helped him quite a bit. 

Do you know what was the cause of his tennis elbow?
-------
Viscaria

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2020 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Could you describe the issue and what did you fix?

I don't have tennis elbow but would just like to look into it...

It was about 10 years ago, but if I remember correctly, my stroke was not a straight stroke, but the elbow seemed to go up or down much more that it should have.  I think that if I do my strokes correctly I won't have any problems.  
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 12:55am
I am surprised we do not have a series of no-nos re. technique when it's about the tennis elbow. Is bad technique a possible vector? why don't we know that already if the answer is yes? is this what you are really asking about blahness?
A couple friends used ultrasound technology to heal their tennis elbow and they came back as strong as before. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 4:56am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I am surprised we do not have a series of no-nos re. technique when it's about the tennis elbow. Is bad technique a possible vector? why don't we know that already if the answer is yes? is this what you are really asking about blahness?
A couple friends used ultrasound technology to heal their tennis elbow and they came back as strong as before. 

Yes +1 I wanna learn more about this... 

Actually I was watching some Ryu Seung Min videos, and a really interesting advice that he had was not to limit the followthrough to protect the shoulder (very interesting perspective which I've never considered before).... There's also a tennis video which is saying that the abrupt deceleration of the stroke post contact caused by limiting followthrough is putting huge stresses on the body especially the elbow, it's like sudden braking vs gentle braking....

Edited by blahness - 06/29/2020 at 10:01pm
-------
Viscaria

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 5:12am
Relax yoyr elbow and arm more. Also, use more hip rotation and do not swing just your arms. 

Edited by yogi_bear - 07/08/2020 at 4:58pm
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 2:19pm
between making rackets all night and playing, I started having a lot of this. Braces didn't help. I started doing everything else lefty

Also beware of texting
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 2:32pm
Also beware of texting

Agree with this.Browsing for long periods on a mobile phone can also make the elbow ache,I switch hands to prevent pain
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 5:08pm
I had severe tennis elbow when I played with short/medium pips on my BH for years to the point I could barely play once a week. After a few months of rest and then switching to inverted rubbers, I have been able to play 2-3 times a week without much pain for several years. 
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by firetack firetack wrote:

Also beware of texting

Agree with this.Browsing for long periods on a mobile phone can also make the elbow ache,I switch hands to prevent pain

Lol I'm guilty of this too, mobile phone addiction!
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

I had severe tennis elbow when I played with short/medium pips on my BH for years to the point I could barely play once a week. After a few months of rest and then switching to inverted rubbers, I have been able to play 2-3 times a week without much pain for several years. 

What style were you playing with the short/medium pips? Were you playing defensive over the table or aggressive with it?

I'm curious because one of my 15 year old students already has something that seems like tennis elbow. And she uses long pips on the backhand (over the table chock blocks). That said, she's very aggressive on the forehand and I think that's where the issue is in her case. She also seemed to have had a bad shoulder from a young age.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2020 at 9:11pm
Sometimes changing to a different kind of handle can help.  FL to ST or vice versa.  
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 2:39pm
I wear a tennis elbow strap bought at a tennis store (for my left arm) and it helps. Correcting technique is so hard!
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
ejprinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejprinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 8:58pm
I did have tennis elbow until the start of Covid-19 and it has gone away since then. I am playing again and I now make sure that I do slow exercises with light dumbbells with my arms, this seems to help. Also dehydration hurts the joint and makes tennis elbow worse. 
What I did first is watch some YouTube videos about the issue, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTjDq3_D-FU or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnPdhUOCxM (sorry, German).
I think the key point is to strengthen the arm and supporting muscles (not just arm, also back etc.).

Yinhe 980XX, DHS Hurricane 3 Neo, Nittaku Wallest 1.0mm sponge.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 11:54pm
watched some more videos, it seems that although the affected area is in the elbow, the tendons are associated with wrist movement... 

-------
Viscaria

chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2020 at 12:40pm
blocking and punching form BH, staying to the table, aggressively, which put a lot of pressure/stress on the elbow. Never a chopper.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2020 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

blocking and punching form BH, staying to the table, aggressively, which put a lot of pressure/stress on the elbow. Never a chopper.

I can see how wristy punches would require a lot of forceful wrist action especially if the equipment is slow... It would seem as if loops especially if powered more by the body would in fact be much easier on the elbow....
-------
Viscaria

Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2020 at 3:58pm
Yes, I have/ had tennis elbow too. It started some 5 years ago when I was playing and from then from time to time I feel it sometimes...

First thing when it starts, use ice, then rest for a month or smth Ermm.. when you don't feel it start doing special stretches and exercises to strengthen you forehand (lots of exercises on youtube, basically wrist flexing /twisting with a dumbbell). When you start playing use a special tennis elbow strap which helps quite a bit and ads more confidence when playing and as said, try to relax your hand when you play (my FH stroke was quite tensed Imho I suppose..)

If you are lucky it will pass and never return again

Edited by Simas - 07/06/2020 at 3:59pm
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2020 at 4:41pm
I was getting tennis elbow on the transition from forehand to backhand. I've changed my technique to involve more legs/torso so now my arm is doing less of this work and my body is doing more.

Pretty amazing I'm up to playing 16-18 hours a week now.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by wilkinru<div><br></div><div>Pretty amazing I'm up to playing 16-18 hours a week now.</div>[/QUOTE wilkinru

Pretty amazing I'm up to playing 16-18 hours a week now.
[/QUOTE wrote:

Lucky guy.  I've got a couple of friends coming to the house, so I'm g

Lucky guy.  I've got a couple of friends coming to the house, so I'm getting around 6 hours a week.  I miss the club atmosphere. 
Kontra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kontra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2020 at 5:23pm
I've joined tennis elbow members club last year. I wanted to sort it out straight away. Plan was to try and treat it without stopping with table tennis. That was right decision as there was only tiny bit of pain and I think I managed to prevent more damage.
Here's link I've found really helpful, I've invested few £ in flexi bar and power ball (dirty cheap on AliExpress)+ I always keep rubber band in my pockets so I can use it when walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNiJvzjBwA

Link re. massage;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70oOs9dkwE&t=2s

+ ice pack in the evening while watching tv.

I can't say I'm fully recovered but I feel much better, I can play without any issues, just need to remember to warm up muscles before game.

Hope this helps, good luck to all fellow tennis elbow club members!
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2020 at 5:27am
Originally posted by Kontra Kontra wrote:

I've joined tennis elbow members club last year. I wanted to sort it out straight away. Plan was to try and treat it without stopping with table tennis. That was right decision as there was only tiny bit of pain and I think I managed to prevent more damage.
Here's link I've found really helpful, I've invested few £ in flexi bar and power ball (dirty cheap on AliExpress)+ I always keep rubber band in my pockets so I can use it when walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNiJvzjBwA

Link re. massage;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70oOs9dkwE&t=2s

+ ice pack in the evening while watching tv.

I can't say I'm fully recovered but I feel much better, I can play without any issues, just need to remember to warm up muscles before game.

Hope this helps, good luck to all fellow tennis elbow club members!

Welcome to the club LOL
What are your impressions about powerball? There are a some hype around it. Did you find it useful? 
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Kontra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kontra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2020 at 9:19am
Yes, it does make a difference. There are few instruction videos on youtube how to use it. As I couldn't play during this corona time I decided to put an effort and did warm up/massage/powerball/other exercises/ice on regular basis and I'm happy with overall result. Of course, not playing also helped.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2020 at 4:49am

Yes, it does make a difference. There are few instruction videos on youtube how to use it. As I couldn't play during this corona time I decided to put an effort and did warm up/massage/powerball/other exercises/ice on regular basis and I'm happy with overall result. Of course, not playing also helped.

Thanks for the info. The problem I see here, is that it is little bit difficult to exclude the results of powerball, cause at the same time you also stopped playing and did other exercises. Anyways, does it feel that after doing powerball rotations that your forearm is tired or burning (like you feel after for example doing wrist flexing with dumbbells with adequate weight?) 
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Kontra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kontra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2020 at 11:41am
I would say it stimulates muscles and makes them stronger. After 2-3 minutes I feel like lower part of hand is kind of tired or as you said burning but that feeling disappears very fast, almost immediately.
I've used power ball before corona but not really on daily basis and it seemed to me it does the job.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 12:11pm

I would say it stimulates muscles and makes them stronger. After 2-3 minutes I feel like lower part of hand is kind of tired or as you said burning but that feeling disappears very fast, almost immediately.
I've used power ball before corona but not really on daily basis and it seemed to me it does the job.

Sounds tempting LOL
Which one did you get?
DHS Hurricane Neo3
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2021 at 12:52am
Necroing this topic as I managed to dig more info out:

So in tennis, it's very well known that the one-handed backhand is a cause of many tennis elbow cases. 

There are actually a few factors in the technique side of things that they found in tennis:
1) Elbow leading the stroke - this increases the stress on the elbow significantly. Kreanga's technique is starting to look more and more suspect haha... Basically during contact, the blade should in fact be slightly in front of the elbow, not behind. This means that the wrist is in slight extension rather than flexion during the contact. This is something that almost no one talks about in any BH tutorials. 
2) Poor technique -> hitting hard without use of the body. 
3) Lack of wrist extension in the followthrough - after a violent stroke, if you do not allow your wrist to break and gently decelerate (which is a braking mechanism), the muscles attached to the elbow will have to withstand a much greater load which it's not designed to do. So something like the wrist followthrough of Persson, Samsonov, Falck, William Henzell who allow the wrist extension to happen during the followthrough are the best.   
4) Not relaxing the grip during the followthrough, similar to 3) 
5) Bad shoulder or wrist strength, if those muscles can't handle the braking your elbow will, so counterintuitively strengthening those parts is crucial to preventing tennis elbow. Powerballs are apparently incredible for strengthening wrist (forearm muscles), and there's plenty of exercises to strengthen the shoulder muscles.

Edited by blahness - 01/05/2021 at 12:53am
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic