Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abros Blades + ABS Ball - New Korean Company!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abros Blades + ABS Ball - New Korean Company!
    Posted: 07/12/2020 at 2:08pm

Abros Blades + 40+ ABS Ball

Abros is a Korean table tennis company which produces their own blades, balls and an incoming rubber according to my contact. Basing on their website, the company is called Kihyun. This is a fairly new company and now they are releasing their own brand of blades and balls. The rubber is still undergoing ITTF certification which they will probably release within a few months. By my estimate, probably when the new ITTF LARC will be released on October or November.

Abros C50 Spruce Frame Blade

Weight: 88 grams

Plies: 3 Ply + 2 Carbon

Thickness: 5.76mm

Blade head: 150x157mm

Speed: Off+

I really got curious about their blades because of the unique design. The concept of adding a frame to the blade head is unheard of by today’s usual blade designs. Abros said that they want to innovate by designing unique blades in order to stand out from other companies and will be given attention. Let me describe the quality of the C50 Frame blade as a comparable to that of the blades from Butterfly. The top plies are lacquered in order to protect from splintering due to changing of rubbers often times. Despite having a frame, the blade has a very intricate construction wherein the frame and the inner part of the blade fits perfectly that it almost feels like it is continuous with no junction whenever you run your fingers on the blade surface. Abros says that the frame gives additional stiffness or rigidity to the whole blade and at the same time adds protection to the sides of the blade from accidentally hitting the table. The frame is constructed wherein it covers the perimeter of the whole blade. Frame is about 5mm wide. I got the flared version and it feels a little bigger compared to other blades. The flared dimension is 100mm x 33mm x 24mm. The logo is also unique that it looks like a carbon fiber logo printed with the company’s name.

To compare the C50’s Frame blade speed, I would compare the speed as faster than Timo Boll ALC, Yinhe T-11+ or Carbonado 190. It is slightly slower than the Primorac Carbon or Schlager Carbon. I felt the speed the moment I did forehand to forehand drills and topspin drills. The blade is very lively and bouncy. I used a Sanwei Gear Hyper 39 degrees and RITC Battle 2 rubber as test rubbers. When hitting both with regular forehand and backhand drives, you can see the long with medium low trajectory of the ball. Me and a friend tested the C50 near the table, middle distance and far distance from the table.

We both concluded that this is a powerful and fast blade even when you are far from the table. The long trajectory helps you land the ball properly on the table. The sweet spot is about 1 to 1.5 inch from the edge of the frame.

Despite being a very fast blade, the C50 Frame blade actually loops very well. Some fast blades with very stiff feel would give some people difficulty in brushing the ball due to the rebound effect of the blade. This is fairly common among pure carbon blades and companies would add soft layers on the blade to reduce stiffness. Usually, blades with 5.7mm thickness like that of the C50’s have flex especially when they do not have carbon layers or any other composite materials used as 2nd or 3rd layer in a blade. The spruce frame adds rigidity to the blade itself wherein despite the thin dimension, it gives the blade enough stiffness for additional speed and keeping the blade thin while also not forgetting the blade’s

flex that will also help in looping against underspin or doing counter topspins. As what was stated, when looping it has a medium low arc that is about 2 to 3 inches above the net.

The C50 is a very stable blade both in blocking strong topspins or doing punch blocks. It is a pretty linear blade with some gears. The rigidity and balance of flex gives you a great feel on your touch. Short strokes or shots need a bit adjustment due to the blade’s speed but it is not a major problem.

Overall, this is a top quality blade that offers grip comfort, excellent feel and speed that an advanced

-level player needs. This is a fresh concept for blades and I would think a lot of people will like this as I

Have. This is a bit pricey with a price tag of 170 USD. This will start selling by August.

Abros A50 Walnut Frame Blade

Weight: 92 grams

Thickness: 4.5mm

Plies: 3 Wood + 2 Arylate Carbon

Speed: Off to Off+

The A50 Walnut Frame blade is the thinnest blade I have ever tried in the market. The last very thin blade that I have tried was a Nexy blade. I have the straight handle version of the A50 and for a 4.5mm blade, it is on the heavy side because at 4.5mm it is at 92 grams!! This blade is pretty solid because of the walnut frame. It felt stiff and has more stiffness compared to the C50 Spruce Frame. I would understand why they made the blade very thin because the walnut frame will make the blade very heavy if they would go with a 5mm blade or greater since the walnut frame should also be as thick as the blade itself. Granting the blade is 5mm it would probably weigh more than 100 grams. Like the C50 Frame blade, it has excellent quality, smooth surface and comfortable handle. The straight handle was a bit slender for me but it is still comfortable. The ST handle of the Abros blades are smaller than the ST blades of Stiga or Sanwei. Like the C50, the A50 has koto outer plies. They only differ in the wood frame and the composite material which is carbon arylate for the A50. The picture in the internet shows it looks like it has limba outer plies but it has koto plies.

I thought this was a slow blade. I was bouncing the ball on the bare blade and it was lower by about 2 inches compared to that of the C50’s ball bounce but when I played with the A50, it was fast and went over the table when I looped the ball. I tested the A50 using the Xiom Tau II and Stiga DNA H Pro rubbers. The bare blade bounce was a bit deceiving because I thought it was slow but when I started doing forehand loops and forehand drives, the speed was surprisingly fast. I can say that the A50 has lots of gears. It was slow when you are gentle with your soft touch shots or drop shots but also fast when you need power for your shots. It is slightly slower than the C50 blade. I would compare the speed to probably just a little above the speed of Timo Boll ALC. It felt more stiff and rigid than TB ALC. It felt as stiff as an Amultart blade. I guess the walnut frame really made the blade stiff with a touch of flex. The blade is bouncy when you apply a small effort when hitting the ball but it can be slow when you want it to.

This is a better looping blade compared to the C50 Frame blade because it has the arc, control and feel that makes you loop the ball easily. The weight of the blade goes towards the head part and it might make some people uncomfortable but that is the catch. The arc was about 2 inches higher than that of the C50. This is a great looping blade that is more on a technical side. This is much more versatile than a lot of blades I know because it acts like an all around blade for short pushes or drop shots, blocking or smashing but has a speed of an offensive blade. The A50 might not be as thick as the C50, but it has power and speed that you would need. I would say looping is the best feature for the A50 Frame blade.

Other shots like blocking is also stable with the A50 when I tried it. The rigidity that the walnut frame greatly helped with the stability during blocks. This is both for passive and active blocks. Also, the blade is wonderful with drop shots near the net. I would assume that this is also a good blade for attacking and blocking with long pimples.

This is a dynamic and versatile blade. Even an intermediate level player can greatly appreciate this blade as long as he or she can afford the price of this blade, This is worth investing and maybe we can see this as a future of blade innovations.

Abros 40+ ABS Ball

I think this is the first ever Korean-made ABS ball that is ITTF approved. I got 1 dozen of these balls and so far the consistencies of roundness of the balls seem excellent. I would say the quality is slightly better than the Yinhe 40+ Premium balls. The ball felt some sort of a mix between an ABS ball and a PVC ball. It has this hardness and feel partly of a PVC ball. Abros told me that the process of ball-making they are using right now is the same to that of the Nittaku Premium. So far the ball seems durable enough and have not experience breakage yet after 3 days of playing.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 2:51pm
Used an Abros ball last year when I was over training and playing in Korea. Have to agree on the strength of the ball. Very durable ball from my experience as well.

Edited by ghostzen - 07/12/2020 at 3:02pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Used an Abros ball last year when I was over training and playing in Korea. Have to agree on the strength of the ball. Very durable ball from my experience as well.

I have to get used to the feel because sometimes it feels like it has a pvc mix. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 5:01pm
I’m not sure but isn’t this blade design against ITTF rules?
Skynet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

I am also kinda confused because of the all-around-frame; you cannot see the composite layers...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Skynet Skynet wrote:

I am also kinda confused because of the all-around-frame; you cannot see the composite layers...

There are several Joola and Andro blades i think where you cannot see the layers in thd side so this is ok.. 

Skynet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 5:39pm
Well, OK. I don't know that many Joola and/or Andro blades. I understand that this concept of an all-around frame is new...but if I were a racket judge I would probably be confused as well.
With rubbers on both sides these blades would look like simple 1-ply-allwood blades, and a judge (provided he would actually know that this is a composite blade) would not be able to determine if the blade is at least to 85% made of pure wood and that the thickness of the composite layers are not more that 7.5% of the overall thickness of the blade. I have to admit that I do not know too much about these regulations, though.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 5:55pm
Quite unique design indeed
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 6:10pm

Well, OK. I don't know that many Joola and/or Andro blades. I understand that this concept of an all-around frame is new...but if I were a racket judge I would probably be confused as well.
With rubbers on both sides these blades would look like simple 1-ply-allwood blades, and a judge (provided he would actually know that this is a composite blade) would not be able to determine if the blade is at least to 85% made of pure wood and that the thickness of the composite layers are not more that 7.5% of the overall thickness of the blade. I have to admit that I do not know too much about these regulations, though.

The 15% limit on composite thickness is correct but then again previous blades from other brands already have covers like a fineline wood cover so i think ittf allows it. 

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 5:04am
  1. 2.4.5 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness.

I think the blades are not within the ITTF rules. The layers don't have continuous materials!

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 7:18am
Don´t blades need ITTF approval to be released on the market? If so, of course they will allow a player to use it.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 7:46am
Clearly an illegal blade to me.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 9:56am
Ross Leidy had experimented with that band of wood around the blade. It won’t affect play but the rules are broken. It does not really serve a purpose I can identify anyway, unless It makes the sweet spot give a different feedback that would be appreciated... They might just want to attract people’s attention on something unusual.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 10:32am

1. 2.4.5 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness.

I think the blades are not within the ITTF rules. The layers don't have continuous materials!

The junction between the frame and inner blade head is almost non-existent when you run your fingers on it. Besides, the optimal hitting area of a blades is about 2 inches from the side of the blade. Logic would dictate you to check your designs with the ittf before selling them. Unless, ITTF  sends a memo that these frame blades are illegal, all our opinions here are just opinions. 

Skynet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 12:20pm

That seems to be the crucial paragraph. It would give every opponent and racket judge pretty much the reason to object to a blade design/construction.
I certainly do hope that yogi is correct in that the brand/company have checked with the ITTF beforehand and got the OK from them, although it might seem as a contradiction considering the above mentioned paragraph.

Edited by Skynet - 07/13/2020 at 12:21pm
gradge View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gradge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 1:46pm
Obviously blades need to meet the ITTF standards but interestingly blades do not all carry an ITTF stamp and there is no list of approved blades as there is for rubbers. 
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

The junction between the frame and inner blade head is almost non-existent when you run your fingers on it. Besides, the optimal hitting area of a blades is about 2 inches from the side of the blade. Logic would dictate you to check your designs with the ittf before selling them. Unless, ITTF  sends a memo that these frame blades are illegal, all our opinions here are just opinions. 

I remind you that even Butterfly once had the Kreanga Carbon blade which was illegal so they stopped manufacturing it.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 3:52pm

I remind you that even Butterfly once had the Kreanga Carbon blade which was illegal so they stopped manufacturing it.
Not every blade is a kreanga carbon. As what i have said. There blades in the past that were not marked as illegal by ittf now. Even the the new Aruna blade from Gewo has this smller covered sides using fineline wood. If we take the continuity context, this blade and other blades from other blades of similsr design would also be illegal. Also, as what I have said, unless ITTF says this is illegal, what we have are just opinions and wild interpretations of the rule. 

penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 3:13am

"Not every blade is a kreanga carbon. As what i have said. There blades in the past that were not marked as illegal by ittf now. Even the the new Aruna blade from Gewo has this smller covered sides using fineline wood. If we take the continuity context, this blade and other blades from other blades of similsr design would also be illegal. Also, as what I have said, unless ITTF says this is illegal, what we have are just opinions and wild interpretations of the rule. " -  yogi_bear

This statement may not be necessarily accurate.

the ittf does not say which blade, brand or model is illegal or otherwise and I think there is no such an approved list of blades either.

but it does specify the requirements for a blade to be legal.

But as already pointed out, in 2.4.5 on the Laws of Table Tennis published by the ittf , it says clear enough; that ' ....., any layer within the blade .... shall be continuous and of even thickness. '

At the least, these blades do not have even thickness with their layers; in fact, they are composed of different layers.

How is interpreting 2.4.5 to say these blades are by definition illegal ' just opinions and wild interpretation ' ? LOL

Iloveplayingtabletennis
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 3:59am
[QUOTE=penholderxxx]

"Not every blade is a kreanga carbon. As what i have said. There blades in the past that were not marked as illegal by ittf now. Even the the new Aruna blade from Gewo has this smller covered sides using fineline wood. If we take the continuity context, this blade and other blades from other blades of similsr design would also be illegal. Also, as what I have said, unless ITTF says this is illegal, what we have are just opinions and wild interpretations of the rule. " -  yogi_bear

" This statement may not be necessarily accurate.

the ittf does not say which blade, brand or model is illegal or otherwise and I think there is no such an approved list of blades either."
This is very uninformed. ITTF has declared in the past like that Kreanga Carbon is illegal. As what I have said, you can interpret all you want. Your interpretation will not matter unless it is an official interpretation
of the ITTF. 

" but it does specify the requirements for a blade to be legal.

But as already pointed out, in 2.4.5 on the Laws of Table Tennis published by the ittf , it says clear enough; that ' ....., any layer within the blade .... shall be continuous and of even thickness. '

At the least, these blades do not have even thickness with their layers; in fact, they are composed of different layers."

I will go back to the arguement of some blades still being sold in the market with fineline wood coverings in the side of the blade, although thinner but still an obvious extension and not a natual part of the wood layer. They are not declared as illegal.

"How is interpreting 2.4.5 to say these blades are by definition illegal ' just opinions and wild interpretation ' ? LOL"

As what I have stated you can interpret it all you like but unless ITTF declares it as illegal such as the Kreaga carbon, your interpretations are just interpretations. Also, your interpretation of kinda oyt of context. The even and continuous simply tells about the uniformity of the surface, meaning there is no depression or elevated or bulging on any part of the blade. In this case the junction between the frame 
And the innerwood is continuous due to a very tightly packed assembly. If you run your fingers on the junction it is almost non existent. If again you will try to be too strict with rule then stiga blades with notches on their limba outer plies will be illegal since there are some blades that the outer have junctions even near the middle of the blade head because the upper wood ply is composed of 2 different lba layers attached into one. Although the same wood, it is still a junction. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 5:17am
added info. Some Korean NATIONAL paralympic team members are using this blades now. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 5:44am
I could have been more careful with my sentence and should have stated that the ittf does not say whether any blade that is produced for sales is illegal or otherwise. I believe there is no certification process where manufacturers have their blades certified as legal and there is no such list as approved blades. correct this if I am wrong.

What we have are the rules that are formulated by the ittf regarding the requirements for blades to be legal and the rules are the pronouncements of the ittf. If the rules state that any particular blade does not confirm to the specified requirements, they are said to be illegal. It is in this context when said that the ittf does not declare any blades to be legal or otherwise. Please correct again if wrong.

If the Kreagna Carbon blade was  declared to be illegal by the ittf, that does not mean that the ittf is to make a declaration on all blades produced. I suspect there must have been quite a discussion then on the blade and if it did not adhere to the requirements, it was only correct for the ittf to make a statement to the effect. no issue there.

Fair enough, our interpretations are 'just interpretations', but like your interpretations, they are reasoned, not wild by any stretch.

What you are suggesting is that a blade is legal with a part or portion of the playing surface multi layered and part single layered ( or of different number of layers ) ? 

I guess we are learning all the time. 

Thanks for your explanations. 

Iloveplayingtabletennis
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 6:31am
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

I could have been more careful with my sentence and should have stated that the ittf does not say whether any blade that is produced for sales is illegal or otherwise. I believe there is no certification process where manufacturers have their blades certified as legal and there is no such list as approved blades. correct this if I am wrong.

There is no rule about edge guards or frame guards being illegal.

What we have are the rules that are formulated by the ittf regarding the requirements for blades to be legal and the rules are the pronouncements of the ittf. If the rules state that any particular blade does not confirm to the specified requirements, they are said to be illegal. It is in this context when said that the ittf does not declare any blades to be legal or otherwise. Please correct again if wrong.

If the Kreagna Carbon blade was  declared to be illegal by the ittf, that does not mean that the ittf is to make a declaration on all blades produced. I suspect there must have been quite a discussion then on the blade and if it did not adhere to the requirements, it was only correct for the ittf to make a statement to the effect. no issue there.

The KC was declared illegal by ITTF because ITTF needed to on that particular blade.

Fair enough, our interpretations are 'just interpretations', but like your interpretations, they are reasoned, not wild by any stretch.

Not if the manufacturer made consultations before mass producing it in which in this case they told me they did. Also, going back to my reasoning, "if you are a businessman, knowing what happened with the KC a few years ago, wouldn't you take precautions on making the correct steps in making a blade first instead of risking money for blades that will not sell IF they will be found illegal? Also, some members of the Korean NATIONAL Paralympic Team are already using the blades. I think that can tell you already why they are using it in the first place.

What you are suggesting is that a blade is legal with a part or portion of the playing surface multi layered and part single layered ( or of different number of layers ) ? 

it has to be all layers in both surfaces and succeeding layers. If you have not been aware, there are blades in the market that have edge guards with fineline wood attached to the edge of the blade covering the sides. The frame guard is like an edge guard only a thicker portion but serves the same purpose and most of all the continuity and evenness of the blade surface is so fine due to the intricate construction.

I guess we are learning all the time. 

Thanks for your explanations. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 8:26am
If the manufacturer has indeed consulted the ittf on having a nearly 5mm frame on the perimeter of the blade and the ittf has given its approval, then there is no more issue. We have to accept this design is acceptable and the blade is legal. Truly unfortunate for the KC manufacturer not to have consulted the ittf before its mass production then. A lesson learnt.

It will be interesting though how this 5mm wide frame is not viewed as forming part of a playing surface of a blade. Does it not affect the playing characteristics; say, hitting on the centre and hitting on the frame ?

Admittedly, it was mentioned that the manufacturer said the inclusion of this frame ' gives additional stiffness or rigidity to the whole blade " and protects it as well and that having this frame is unheard of in today's blades design.

Thanks again.

Iloveplayingtabletennis
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 10:33am
The design does not serve any purpose other than attracting attention, they are just stirring the pot with a "LOOK AT ME!" attitude. 

I understand the strategy because it is so hard for a new company to differentiate themselves in the blade making business. 

ITTF not giving leeway to new manufacturers would mean favoring the established companies so I am not sure what to think but "double standard" seems written all over this blade.
gradge View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gradge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 1:45pm
Also interesting that once the rubbers are on the appearance and cool design is largely covered.
Skynet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 1:46pm

added info. Some Korean NATIONAL paralympic team members are using this blades now. 

Hi yogi,

do you happen to know if these players are only testing the blades or do they really intend to use them in official matches? Also: Do you know if Abros already started mass-producing these blades or are there just samples out there so far? Thanks
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 3:42pm
I would think any "new idea" would be welcomed in the way of enhancing the look or playability of Table tennis, We are so far behind where we could be if we allowed more inventive folks to use their imagination.

As far as being continuous, if the woods are together they are continuous.. right?
I like the idea.

Dr.Cho
Skynet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

I would think any "new idea" would be welcomed in the way of enhancing the look or playability of Table tennis, We are so far behind where we could be if we allowed more inventive folks to use their imagination.

As far as being continuous, if the woods are together they are continuous.. right?
I like the idea.

Dr.Cho

But they are not continuous, that's the point. The top ply consists of two parts, part of the frame and the in diameter reduced actual top ply. The cut between frame and top ply for instance is very visible, and because of this cut, it is not continuous by definition.
I am also not against "new ideas", I'd like to stress that, but it is probably for their own good if the company gets the OK from the ITTF before starting mass production, although until a few hours ago the ITTF equipment department in Cologne/ Germany was not aware of these blades. Initial response was that these blades do not pass requirements (see 4. 2.4.5) and that they will contact the company about it...

Edited by Skynet - 07/15/2020 at 5:18pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2020 at 4:58pm

Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

I like the idea.

Dr.Cho

But they are not continuous, that's the point. The top ply consists of two parts, part of the frame and the in diameter reduced actual top ply. The cut between frame and top ply for instance is very visible, and because of this cut, it is not continuous by definition.
I am also not against "new ideas", I'd like to stress that, but is probably for their own good if the company gets the OK from the ITTF before starting mass production, although until a few hours ago the ITTF equipment department in Cologne/ Germany was not aware of these blades. Initial response was that these blades do not pass requirements (see 4. 2.4.5) and that they will contact the company about it...
I agree, that's where they play on a fine line. I find strange to think that it's ok if we do not feel the joint with the finger. I totally understand the logic and I do not want to be picky about it but from there a lot of abuse can happen and if such a band of wood is allowed, it should be expressly written in the rules with a precise description of that band of wood and above all its maximum width.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic