Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ITTF Bad Camera Angle - Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SteveWAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveWAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ITTF Bad Camera Angle - Question
    Posted: 09/02/2020 at 12:40am
Hi All,

During the shelter in place I've been catching up on a lot of great ITTF Tournaments I missed 
But one thing disappoints me. Confused
I'm curious why is it that ITTF can NEVER get a really good camera angle for watching Table Tennis ? 
Angry
Its such a shame being in the 'nosebleed section', this camera angle makes the matches pretty much unwatchable. 
Very sad that you can't see the actual real ball speed, height, trajectory or true ball arch, this "high up in the ceiling" view ruins great matches for the spectator.
Basically its THE most unwatchable position possible, i'm wondering when the ITTF are going to actually give us spectators (which are mostly players) the preferred lower camera angle so we can actually enjoy watching the game and not see the table as a squashed matchbox.

Let me know your thoughts.

Steve Adams Foster City, CA.

My Email
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 7:58pm
Frustrates me too.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 11:15pm
I would guess that it stems from the very large arenas they tend to play in.

The kind of angle most people like can not be shot from too far away because people will be walking in front of the camera.  It can not be shot in the big arenas from closer to the table because it would block too many people's views.  They would probably need to bring seating in closer and only have seating on 3 sides to be able to film the angles a lot of people like.  If I remember correctly almost all those liked videos come from smaller club environments.  

Not that it is impossible for them to figure out.  But probably a whole lot harder to do in those big arenas.  Also their money comes from the in person audience mostly, so they most likely do no want to do anything that would interfere with the "paying customer" experience.

Just my thoughts, without too much analysis and fact checking.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 09/02/2020 at 11:16pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 7:13am
I think Mark makes good points, a.so we have to admit that ours is a challenging sport to video.
Liquid Sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 11:16am
The "bird eye" view is definitely not due to preserve the view of the spectators. 

At least at bigger tournaments the TV production involves several cameras. They even have several cameras at table hight, but they choose not to show that view as the main camera.

I went to two world championships and at one they even had a crane obstructing the view of the spectators (Düsseldorf 2013).

My guess is that the "bird eye" view is chosen for three reasons:
- it is the traditional view to broadcast tennis events. TV broadcasting companies likely have more experience with tennis.
- you get a tv picture that is not obstructed from a busy background
- you have the sponsors clearly in the picture.

Unfortunately the "bird eye" view shows the game only in 2-D. All of the dynamic the players have and the spin the ball has cannot be shown.

I think this is very unfortunate and I am always happy if I can find private records of big table tennis events.

For me the view slightly above table hight is the best view to show the day dynamic of our sport.

By the way I am not the only one who thinks that table hight is the best perspective! Almost every picture of professional photographers is taken from this perspective. Of course they know how to take good looking pictures.

Edited by Liquid Sky - 09/03/2020 at 11:19am
Nebula Custom Blades - Antique Wood
XIOM - Vega Pro (2,0 mm)
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 12:57pm
At the really big tournaments like world championships I would guess there is significant revenue from the televised rights so they are likely to be willing to do things for production value they do not due at less important events.

You make a great point about doing it the way it has always been done.  Tradition is a true innovation killer.  Just look at the high  jump.

Mark

wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 4:08pm
They have a contract with this company that does the video and they refuse to spend a penny more than what they produce right now.  The contract should end soon and we might get better video next year.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 9:43pm
This has been brought up many times before. The main reason is that the default view is the best for showing all the sponsor signs on and behind the court.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2020 at 9:47am
Liquid Sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2020 at 6:34pm
If I see recordings like this, I wonder why ITTF even started to use the "bird-eye" view:

Nebula Custom Blades - Antique Wood
XIOM - Vega Pro (2,0 mm)
SteveWAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveWAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2020 at 7:51pm
Pilgrim and Liquid Sky Thank you very much for the links ! Big smile, these angles are totally spectacular, all the promotional ads are shown AND the true beauty of the sport is represented.
WTTF , ITTF please take note. 
Please see the amazing difference of quality for the spectator with the correct camera positioning.
Our sport cant survive with this outdated amateur recording angle that your currently using.
You have to change.Thumbs Up 

My Email
SteveWAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveWAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2020 at 9:34pm
After enjoying watching a great match with such a great view, its almost impossible to have to suffer through any TT vid being stuck up in the ceiling rafters. 
And the better the match is the more frustrating it is to have to put up with.
I'm having boycott watching these ridiculous angle TT matches anymore.

My Email
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic