Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is remote coaching legal ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is remote coaching legal ?
    Posted: 09/02/2020 at 9:42pm
I would say no:
3.5.1 Advice
3.5.1.1 In a team event, players may receive advice from anyone authorised to be at the playing area.
3.5.1.2 In an individual event, a player or pair may receive advice only from one person, designated beforehand to the umpire, except that where the players of a doubles pair are from different Associations each may designate an adviser,but with regard to 3.5.1 and 3.5.2 these two advisors shall be treated as a unit; if an unauthorised person gives advice the umpire shall hold up a red card and send him or her away from the playing area.

Issues: Can't verify who is on the headset. Can't verify it's only one person (presuming a singles match and not teams).
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 9:27pm
well...when they say "think less of yourself and more about other people", think of us here at mytt and just do it Big smile. I am happy I could once support and encourage your spirituality.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 8:33pm
im on a phone at church :(
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

somebody at a pc should repeat the question
since you are the OP now, can you edit and explain what happened and tell the original story? thank you for your service.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 8:19pm
Thd question is clear enough.  Let the thread continue.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 8:13pm
somebody at a pc should repeat the question

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 8:11pm
Maybe a mod identified the OP as a person not welcome here after multiple bans. I thought the question was interesting though but if it is who I think it is, they never lack intelligence for sure.
When any given poster's posts get all deleted at once with the push of a "ban" button, the answers stay behind which is less that ideal, I'll ask the mods about the opportunity of a process to identify 1st all threads the banned person started (there is a search check box for that). In those situations there are not many enough to be much work. More to come.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 8:01pm
interesting.... i think the OP just deleted his posts
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 8:00pm
Only one coach is allowed and the coach must be identified before the match.  It is now legal for the coach to yell out advice to the player when the ball is not in play as long as the coach and player are not slowing down the progress of the game.  (I have also heard such advice/instructions must be in a language that both players can understand; although I have not able to verify this).

Since the coach is not at the game, I would say such "coaching" is not legal.  

The rules should be amended to ban players from wearing earpieces and headphones.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 6:47pm
perhaps it might be appropriate to ask your opponent to only use the headset between games

Or actually to rephrase that it's probably something better addressed by the tournament director

Edited by cole_ely - 09/02/2020 at 6:47pm

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2020 at 6:46pm
I wasn't the orignal poster of this question.  I was the first to respond though, and then eventually the OP was deleted.  So I'll try to rephrase the OP as well as I can remember.

The OP was in a tournament where his opponent asked permission to video the match (we've all been there right?)  But to the OP's dismay, his opponent was streaming the match to a coach somewhere and receiving coaching during the match, presumably by bluetooth headset.

The OP took offense and asked the opponent to quit streaming, but his opponent said it was too late, he had already given permission and really didn't need it anyway.  He said the tournament director didn't know how to handle the situation and declined to intervene.

And this was my response:

It's polite to ask people for their permission to videos and but I don't think it's required legally. After all when you're in a public place you're subject to video the same as photograph. And I don't know whether coaching is legal or not but if it's legal then video coaching is legal. 

Well I mean obviously coaching is legal but if by earpiece you don't know if he's getting advice during the point.

That's a really good question the more I think of it

Edited by cole_ely - 09/03/2020 at 4:16pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic