Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a faster Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a faster Viscaria
    Posted: 09/20/2020 at 8:35pm
I´m used to ALC blades such as Viscaria and Timo Boll Spirit, but I decided to go to something faster keeping the same soft feeling. I thought first about Iolite but it´s not sold anymore. 
So what could be a faster blade with same Viscaria feeling? Not necessarily a Butterfly blade.
Sponsored Links

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I´m used to ALC blades such as Viscaria and Timo Boll Spirit, but I decided to go to something faster keeping the same soft feeling. I thought first about Iolite but it´s not sold anymore. 
So what could be a faster blade with same Viscaria feeling? Not necessarily a Butterfly blade.

Yasaka alnade
andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 10:29pm
I dont know  i choose different material too

Drinkhall power spin
Or spzlc type of blade
Joola energon 
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 10:43pm
Joola Freeze...I've sold a few at my club now. It's as fast if not faster and it has great feeling for the ball.  It's become a very popular blade at my club.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 3:20am

How many grams is your current blade?
I think you can try with XIOM Stradivarius.
I have a great sample with ST handle and "fish" look koto outer plies.
Almost no vibration blade, that's pretty rare. And has a very good speed.

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 6:30am
Did no-one else think when reading the topic 'No you don't'? TongueWink
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

I always expect this type of answer...
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 7:36am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

How many grams is your current blade?
I think you can try with XIOM Stradivarius.
I have a great sample with ST handle and "fish" look koto outer plies.
Almost no vibration blade, that's pretty rare. And has a very good speed.
Mine is 88g. However I´ve had a Strad before and found it harder than Viscaria, and not so faster.
I´d like something noticeable faster. I liked Iolite but can´t find it anymore... yes, I can say I´m looking a blade like Iolite.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 8:28am

+1 Guess he represents his nameWink

But in all seriousness, a heavier viscaria is the best option. Or go for faster rubbers.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 8:58am

Almost my exact reaction  

My translation was "I want to try a faster Viscaria" to which I added  "and once I satisfy my curiosity I'll go back to the Viscaria".  Remember to judge by all the shots you have to play and not just forehand topspin.

Its not because I'm some sort of TT wizard, I've been down that road.  A long time back, but the same road.

Edited by Baal - 09/21/2020 at 8:59am
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Joola Freeze...I've sold a few at my club now. It's as fast if not faster and it has great feeling for the ball.  It's become a very popular blade at my club.

If I may ask; what club is this?

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 9:05am
But if the EJ virus is too strong to resist, then try a ZLC blade, say, a ZJK-ZLC.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

If I may ask; what club is this?

Thanks.
Spinblock Table Tennis Club in Indianapolis, In.
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Almost my exact reaction  

My translation was "I want to try a faster Viscaria" to which I added  "and once I satisfy my curiosity I'll go back to the Viscaria".  Remember to judge by all the shots you have to play and not just forehand topspin.

Its not because I'm some sort of TT wizard, I've been down that road.  A long time back, but the same road.

Timo Boll's TTD video review of his own blade (the older one where he still plays with T05) makes this point when he says how it was easy to use ZLC and SZLC for fast topspin shots. However, it's awkward spin ups and the close game where the faster blades let you down.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 12:41pm

I would order a custom from SDC Blades (Portugal). You can work on details, maybe same construction with thicker core.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
tzifosF1 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tzifosF1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 12:58pm
Is the Yinhe V14 or V14Pro  that you can find around 45$ from Aliexpress  valid options?
current: Yinhe 980 | FH: AK47 Blue 2.1mm | BH: Curl P1r 1mm
looping: Yinhe W-6 FH: AK47Red 2.1mm BH: AK47Blue 2.1mm
to-be-used: DONIC DefPlay Senso3 | FH: Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm | BH: SpinPipsChop 2 1.4mm
KLHfans View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLHfans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 1:36pm
Hi:

I would think the Golden Viscaria is the faster version of the Viscaria and the closest feeling.
It's slightly heavier due to more wood composition and maintain the same feeling as the regular Viscaria.
Liu Shiwen actually used Golden Viscaria (instead of her previous Liu Shiwen ZLF) to win her first
world championship women single title in 2019.  

regards,

klhfans

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by tzifosF1 tzifosF1 wrote:

Is the Yinhe V14 or V14Pro  that you can find around 45$ from Aliexpress  valid options?
I have a V14 Pro, it´s just a bit faster than Viscaria. I´d like something faster than that.
I tried a clubmate´s Primorac Carbon, it has the speed I like but not the touch, too hard for me.
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 6:16pm

I have a V14 Pro, it´s just a bit faster than Viscaria. I´d like something faster than that.
I tried a clubmate´s Primorac Carbon, it has the speed I like but not the touch, too hard for me.

Primorac Carbon is a good two notches above Viscaria in terms of speed TBH. Try Apolonia ZLC once. It may be a good option to look at.

Also, given that your current Viscaria is 88gms, i would recommend getting one that is in the 92-94gms range. I had a 87 gm Viscaria once and now own a 90 gm Viscaria and the 87 gm feels like a different blade now. 

From what I was told, Viscaria's optimal performance really starts coming out in the 90+ gms range.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 8:13pm

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Almost my exact reaction  

Timo Boll's TTD video review of his own blade (the older one where he still plays with T05) makes this point when he says how it was easy to use ZLC and SZLC for fast topspin shots. However, it's awkward spin ups and the close game where the faster blades let you down.

The more speed you gain in the topspin game, the less control you will have in the short game. It's always a balance.... 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Primorac Carbon is a good two notches above Viscaria in terms of speed TBH. Try Apolonia ZLC once. It may be a good option to look at.

Also, given that your current Viscaria is 88gms, i would recommend getting one that is in the 92-94gms range. I had a 87 gm Viscaria once and now own a 90 gm Viscaria and the 87 gm feels like a different blade now. 

From what I was told, Viscaria's optimal performance really starts coming out in the 90+ gms range.
I am with Anubhav all the way. I have an Apolonia and I never bought anything else since (I think). I have owned 5 different Viscaria blades and the one that was the best was the 92gr one, what a well domesticated beast it was! Only the EJ thing and not wanting to accumulate made me keep going with the trading.

My Apolonia is 88 grams and I'd be a fool thinking I can find anything better with a difference in play that I can feel or that would matter for my game.

Try finding an Apolonia AND a Viscaria both between 92 and 95 grams and let us know your tests with the same rubbers. For sure you will sell easily the one you do not want to keep because they are both very popular so there is not much waste here (only the shipping cost of the one you let go). Do not get shy because of the balance, the shoulder or wrist problems coming from 6 or 7 more grams or other gimmicky arguments against weight are maybe true for achieved athletes who practice 40 hours a week but not for you (wild guess) nor for me. In case you want more speed on the fh loop and smash only and it is important to keep the total weight the same, go with your favorite rubber on the fh and lighter ones on the bh to get those 6 grams back.

Good luck!

EDIT: roaming the forum on my way back from work, I saw Eric's post after yours about a spinny light rubber that I never tried:

Edited by stiltt - 09/21/2020 at 8:53pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 9:18pm
I agree about Viscaria weight.  92-93 grams is optimal.  
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2020 at 4:42am
A 93g black tag fish scale Viscaria will solve your problem.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2020 at 8:57am
tmount t540
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2020 at 10:21am

I would either:
-- get faster rubbers and keep the blade as is.
-- seal your blade and keep the rubbers

Either way you will end up with a slightly faster set up and the feeling won't change for the most part.
andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 12:20pm
energon super pbo c is still the best choice here
yogi with his zjk zlc is good choice too.
after  some matches with different blades I can add
Dynasty carbon (not xu xin because it is slower version) with good weight
AZX Xiom with alc/zlc
Drinkhall powerspin still is good fast choice
Andro Treiber CO

and of course new Viscaria/Lin G is good choice to

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

I would either:

Either way you will end up with a slightly faster set up and the feeling won't change for the most part.

Just remember if you seal your blade enough to make it faster, there is no going back.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 3:24pm
I have spent quite some time and money to try to find a faster and better blade than Vis. My conclusion is a heavier vis is the one. I love my 93 gram vis but unfortunately I can’t find a new heavier one. 
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 6:18pm

[/QUOTE]

The more speed you gain in the topspin game, the less control you will have in the short game. It's always a balance.... 
[/QUOTE] except for when you gain speed through improving your skills. But EJ’s hate that trick
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

I would either:

Changing rubbers is not an option for me. I spent a lot of time testing rubbers to find what I consider the best for my game. I won´t do it anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic