Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8 Common Mistakes in FH Loop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8 Common Mistakes in FH Loop
    Posted: 09/25/2020 at 5:39am
This video is super detailed on what can go wrong during a forehand loop! Example players are rated 1200-1900 so we can identify their mistakes and correct them.

Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 6:04am
Originally posted by bzdz bzdz wrote:

This video is super detailed on what can go wrong during a forehand loop! Example players are rated 1200-1900 so we can identify their mistakes and correct them.

Just had a look and this is really good, it covers a lot of detail that the more basic tutorials miss. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 6:06am
Thanks Blahness! if you like it, I'd appreciate if you share with your TT friends. I'm trying to get more people to watch and promote TT everywhere. It's hard to get viewership at the beginning though.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 7:36am

Thanks Blahness! if you like it, I'd appreciate if you share with your TT friends. I'm trying to get more people to watch and promote TT everywhere. It's hard to get viewership at the beginning though.

The viewership will come, don't worry haha. But I think the hardest part of a YouTube channel is sustainability of content, it can be quite a toll as I recently found out. 

I really liked your point about disjointed acceleration (basically your arm should just be in sync with your upper body rotation), and a full weight transfer (where your weight actually falls mainly to the left leg) being very crucial in the loop. I noticed you let some funny arm movements slide haha...and focused more on the body usage.

Edited by blahness - 09/25/2020 at 7:41am
-------
Viscaria

DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 9:32am
Really nice explanations and having actual player videos makes it much more comprehendible.

Keep it up! 
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 9:36am
I really liked seeing actual players of various levels demonstrating. Thanks for the video. Subscribed and looking forward to your next!
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 9:57am
Thumbs Up
like and sub...
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 9:58am
Pros:

-in my opinion some of the best and most important content regarding proper technique. it is also described and emphasized really well
-showing examples of people with different issues is a really good format. this will help viewers with identifying where their issues may lie

Cons:

-it seems like you guys have been a little...generous...with your stated ratings. it is one thing if you feel and have shown you play at a better level than on paper but it is a bit dishonest for a consistent mid 1700's player to state "i have a USATT rating around 1900". 
-audio editing could use work. it sounds a bit distant/muffled/quiet at times, and when you are doing talkovers the background sound is too high.

overall great work and hope you continue 
bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Pros:

-in my opinion some of the best and most important content regarding proper technique. it is also described and emphasized really well
-showing examples of people with different issues is a really good format. this will help viewers with identifying where their issues may lie

Cons:

-it seems like you guys have been a little...generous...with your stated ratings. it is one thing if you feel and have shown you play at a better level than on paper but it is a bit dishonest for a consistent mid 1700's player to state "i have a USATT rating around 1900". 
-audio editing could use work. it sounds a bit distant/muffled/quiet at times, and when you are doing talkovers the background sound is too high.

I appreciate the feedback. I’ll work on the audio mixing in the future. 

Also, Sarthak claimed to be ~1900 because he’s practice a lot since his last tournament, and he’s consistently beating 1900 level players at the club. Of course it’s not official, but we didn’t think 1750 accurately represented his playing level.
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 2:14pm

Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

I appreciate the feedback. I’ll work on the audio mixing in the future. 

Also, Sarthak claimed to be ~1900 because he’s practice a lot since his last tournament, and he’s consistently beating 1900 level players at the club. Of course it’s not official, but we didn’t think 1750 accurately represented his playing level.

that's what i figured and it's not a big deal. only reason i brought it up is because your first video also had an over 100 point discrepancy between the player's actual rating and claimed rating, then in this video you have two different slides for the same guy during his intro.

i think you guys are making some of the better videos i've seen and there is a lot of potential. i really liked the format and info that was in this video and hope you keep it up. some small changes can go a long way. 
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 2:17pm
Really strange - first guy had base to non linear movement during the topspin.

So that his body moved first, after that his arm moved and hit like a wipe - and it's more advanced technique than advised one - to do everything linear and shorter, as the hit with more advanced technique is much harder and also you buy time with such a technique as you use inertion to move to the place of next stoke.
There was a video long ago with Australian national team coach who explained that with the help of a toy.

But agree with the mistake like - weight transfer - inconsistency in legs - hitted with jump from time to time as wanted to hit harder and instead of using full arm swing - just cut his strike with closed elbow. Your body movent should be consistent and similar from one to another, only legs should move you to a proper position.

Would like to add one more his mistake to consider - the point where he meets the ball is different each time and it's not mainly about point of ball flight after the peek point but more about triangle rule - that's why he stricts his strike with elbow angle, and that's why he makes inclinations with his body, and also that's why he uses hook with his wrist and because of this the amplitude of a hand during the topspin is not so good.

So mainly 2 mistakes - not well opened hand and not precise movement to the next hit.

bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 2:24pm
I agree with your statements Valiant. I tried to fix his major problems first, which is the ball contact/feeling. He will need to work on those things you talked about after he gets his major issues down.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 2:40pm
Finally I am a winner.  I am 8 for 8 with this instructional video.  Wait, maybe that is not such a good thing.

I am reminded of that children's puzzle where they have 2 "identical" pictures with the caption "Can you find the 10 differences in the pictures".  Maybe  I will post side by side videos of me and Danny Seemiller (we are the same age) with the caption "Can you find the 100 differences in these 2 players".

Mark 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 8:13pm
It was very interesting, I never went that deep in breaking down the fh loop, thank you very much for sharing your insight.

Do you plan to offer online coaching at some point? you receive video footage and give your guidance? 

BTW do you use a Dell XPS or Precision laptop with the camera under the screen? :) At your age it's not a problem but my middle aged wife has a Precision 5510 and she hates the camera at the bottom, I had to give her a USB camera to place on top of the screen LOL.

Edited by stiltt - 09/25/2020 at 8:14pm
bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

It was very interesting, I never went that deep in breaking down the fh loop, thank you very much for sharing your insight.

Do you plan to offer online coaching at some point? you receive video footage and give your guidance? 

BTW do you use a Dell XPS or Precision laptop with the camera under the screen? :) At your age it's not a problem but my middle aged wife has a Precision 5510 and she hates the camera at the bottom, I had to give her a USB camera to place on top of the screen LOL.

I’d love to analyze techniques of players who send me their videos. If this is interesting to people, I can get started. 

I’ve actually been using my iPhone camera for all my videos, not the one on my computer.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2020 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

Really strange - first guy had base to non linear movement during the topspin.

So that his body moved first, after that his arm moved and hit like a wipe - and it's more advanced technique than advised one - to do everything linear and shorter, as the hit with more advanced technique is much harder and also you buy time with such a technique as you use inertion to move to the place of next stoke.
There was a video long ago with Australian national team coach who explained that with the help of a toy.

But agree with the mistake like - weight transfer - inconsistency in legs - hitted with jump from time to time as wanted to hit harder and instead of using full arm swing - just cut his strike with closed elbow. Your body movent should be consistent and similar from one to another, only legs should move you to a proper position.

Would like to add one more his mistake to consider - the point where he meets the ball is different each time and it's not mainly about point of ball flight after the peek point but more about triangle rule - that's why he stricts his strike with elbow angle, and that's why he makes inclinations with his body, and also that's why he uses hook with his wrist and because of this the amplitude of a hand during the topspin is not so good.

So mainly 2 mistakes - not well opened hand and not precise movement to the next hit.

I think the non-linear arm movements are very hard to control. He seems to be cramping up his stroke too, his bat never goes above his head, which means his stopping the momentum/followthrough prematurely... I think it has something to do with the false notion of the salute, the optimal finish position is actually with the bat above the left ear with the elbow pointing forward, not where the hand is at the forehead like a salute.

I actually really like Jon's stroke structure, guy's gonna go far, just need a bit more spin in it from loading it more from the legs and body rotation. I'm surprised his rating is that low, but it's probably coz he's kinda new and probably doesn't have an advanced serve/receive game and is not adjusting to different spin that well... Or maybe his BH sucks? Lol idk...

Sarthak looks like he started off with looping and never did all that much driving, it's Timo Boll like with mostly spin but not a lot of forward momentum coz he is grazing the ball most of the time and relying on the fast springy sponge to generate the pace for him. 

Edited by blahness - 09/25/2020 at 11:14pm
-------
Viscaria

bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 12:49am
thanks for the reply blahness. I like Jon’s technique too, and you’re right he needs to brush up his serve/receive game. He’s also very receptive of criticism, which is why he can clean up his stroke so easily. Sarthak has some fundamental issues, but he can still play a pretty cohesive game cuz he has practiced it so much. I like the analogy to Timo, because he relies on experience and tactics rather than picture perfect strokes like Chinese National team players.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 1:23am

thanks for the reply blahness. I like Jon’s technique too, and you’re right he needs to brush up his serve/receive game. He’s also very receptive of criticism, which is why he can clean up his stroke so easily. Sarthak has some fundamental issues, but he can still play a pretty cohesive game cuz he has practiced it so much. I like the analogy to Timo, because he relies on experience and tactics rather than picture perfect strokes like Chinese National team players.

Haha I can imagine Sarthak's game is kinda like a guy I used to play, super  consistent and just slow loop everything and has a huge range of nasty placements on his loops Dead If you can't control the spin properly he's just gonna wear you down with your own unforced errors trying to block or counterloop. But if you can control the spin on the loop it's easy to win coz you have all the time to do whatever you want since they're all slow shots... 

I would love to see some amateur match commentaries too, I think those would be quite fun to watch!
-------
Viscaria

bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 1:29am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Haha I can imagine Sarthak's game is kinda like a guy I used to play, super  consistent and just slow loop everything and has a huge range of nasty placements on his loops Dead If you can't control the spin properly he's just gonna wear you down with your own unforced errors trying to block or counterloop. But if you can control the spin on the loop it's easy to win coz you have all the time to do whatever you want since they're all slow shots... 

I would love to see some amateur match commentaries too, I think those would be quite fun to watch!

There’s a Corona Cup Highlight Reel video on my channel if you click on my profile! No commentary, but some points are pretty fun
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 2:01am

There’s a Corona Cup Highlight Reel video on my channel if you click on my profile! No commentary, but some points are pretty fun

Lmao I just watched it and it was just abusing the hook serve from beginning to the end at the higher levels, it's exactly what is happening in my club as well, that serve is kinda like the meta serve that everyone is just abusing the heck out of....Just so irritating to have to deal with that serve personally coz it's so hard to read the direction of the wrist movement when you can obscure the bat movement legally before the ball contact...
I've had so many games when it was just a serving contest between both hook servers to see who made less receive errors lol.... 

Edit: I really like your approach in dealing with this nasty serve... Just borrow the spin and do a normal counter back to the opponent, then try to defend the incoming attack. Definitely a lot better than the previous guy who tried to attack it unsuccessfully... If you can't tell the spin accurately just try to reduce unforced errors and go to the rally stage lol... 
Your friend is such a troll.... Walking off after serving the last point, and "Stocks only go up" lmao.... 

Edited by blahness - 09/26/2020 at 9:07pm
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 1:11pm

I think the non-linear arm movements are very hard to control. He seems to be cramping up his stroke too, his bat never goes above his head, which means his stopping the momentum/followthrough prematurely... I think it has something to do with the false notion of the salute, the optimal finish position is actually with the bat above the left ear with the elbow pointing forward, not where the hand is at the forehead like a salute.
Hi blahness,

Not so difficult actually: 
- to make it you just can switch back from loops to drive and buy some cheap short pips to change a bit technique of hand - to shift more attention from arm movement to legs+body movement composition.

In this state you can achieve pretty soon needed feel of body first -> arm next -> elbow infront. Together with triangle rule.

Next step - just make more hard drives and before it move a bit away from the table. So that close to table game (30-50 cm away from the table ) shifts to 1m away from the table. 
More attention to that feeling of a wave - when body first -> ... than to actual hard hit (so you hit just a bit harder)

Next step - return back to close to table but play little triangle - half of your side of a table one by one with steps from side to left.

Repeat previous step but with 1m away from the table. And do the  same side steps. Do not increase tempo much - it should be convenient.

After that - switch from short pips to inverted - you will have to adjust the paddle angle.

Spend 1-2 training sessions from this position with side steps. Try to remember body first in this case.

Return back to close to table position together with return back short pips and do the same steps with underspin incoming ball.

Repeat similar steps like previous and voila even guy like me started at age 32 can easily learn how to do proper strokes in 5-10 training sessions.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 4:42pm
I think you are making good videos but I think that was too much video! That one looked like two or maybe three videos combined.

Let the youtube algo do it's work and recommend me two videos a week.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 9:03pm

Hi blahness,

Not so difficult actually: 
- to make it you just can switch back from loops to drive and buy some cheap short pips to change a bit technique of hand - to shift more attention from arm movement to legs+body movement composition.

In this state you can achieve pretty soon needed feel of body first -> arm next -> elbow infront. Together with triangle rule.

Next step - just make more hard drives and before it move a bit away from the table. So that close to table game (30-50 cm away from the table ) shifts to 1m away from the table. 
More attention to that feeling of a wave - when body first -> ... than to actual hard hit (so you hit just a bit harder)

Next step - return back to close to table but play little triangle - half of your side of a table one by one with steps from side to left.

Repeat previous step but with 1m away from the table. And do the  same side steps. Do not increase tempo much - it should be convenient.

After that - switch from short pips to inverted - you will have to adjust the paddle angle.

Spend 1-2 training sessions from this position with side steps. Try to remember body first in this case.

Return back to close to table position together with return back short pips and do the same steps with underspin incoming ball.

Repeat similar steps like previous and voila even guy like me started at age 32 can easily learn how to do proper strokes in 5-10 training sessions.

We're on the same page here, I think too many people start with looping straight away rather than hitting/driving, you can see they're the ones who can only brush loop and don't have much power in their shots. All the Chinese/Korean schools of technique would have you first hit/drive like a madman first before you even go anywhere close to looping, and for very good reason, it's easier and you get to work hard on your mechanics, moving to the ball, and solid ball contact. 
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 11:30pm

We're on the same page here, I think too many people start with looping straight away rather than hitting/driving, you can see they're the ones who can only brush loop and don't have much power in their shots. All the Chinese/Korean schools of technique would have you first hit/drive like a madman first before you even go anywhere close to looping, and for very good reason, it's easier and you get to work hard on your mechanics, moving to the ball, and solid ball contact. 
Agree - and the most important here (as seems to me) - solid ball contact - so that I see that last student in video and compare him with coach - coach has much more solid contact  with proper timings for hitting.

All other guys - as well - too much brushing - it's not consistent - as soon as tempo increases - they will fail and it does not matter whether their strokes are fast or slow - they are just in too horizontal position of paddle - it will lead to consistent misses of balls on higher tempo. 

The fact that the more solid contact also gives better spin together with speed we can not even consider here - enough is the fact that it's just more consistent as for me.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 11:44pm

Agree - and the most important here (as seems to me) - solid ball contact - so that I see that last student in video and compare him with coach - coach has much more solid contact  with proper timings for hitting.

All other guys - as well - too much brushing - it's not consistent - as soon as tempo increases - they will fail and it does not matter whether their strokes are fast or slow - they are just in too horizontal position of paddle - it will lead to consistent misses of balls on higher tempo. 

The fact that the more solid contact also gives better spin together with speed we can not even consider here - enough is the fact that it's just more consistent as for me.

Yes, counterintuitive more solid contact will lead to even better spin down the track because you engage the sponge and there's a lot of mechanical friction which increases the spin. 

Ma Long is the epitome of the "solid hitting" school of thought, he has a super open racket angle even compared to the other pros, and he's getting 6000-7000rpm on his loops regularly on both BH and FH...
-------
Viscaria

bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2020 at 11:59pm
I’m the “coach” in the video, and I also believe in hitting more solidly. Some of my 2300 friends who have been on the national team broke my “too much brush” habits to crunch the ball more directly. But ofc I can always adjust to insert more spin if I want it, it’s just nice to have options at the end of the day.

The key to crunch the ball is the instantaneous acceleration during contact. I talk about the explosiveness in my other videos, and I think it will be a recurring theme during my future videos.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2020 at 12:59am

I’m the “coach” in the video, and I also believe in hitting more solidly. Some of my 2300 friends who have been on the national team broke my “too much brush” habits to crunch the ball more directly. But ofc I can always adjust to insert more spin if I want it, it’s just nice to have options at the end of the day.

The key to crunch the ball is the instantaneous acceleration during contact. I talk about the explosiveness in my other videos, and I think it will be a recurring theme during my future videos.
There couple of ideas that may be useful for you:
if you have somebody of a similar or higher level - you can make some other video of your own training of some element or drill - it encourages when you train yourself - makes it closer to those who see the videos on your channel

or you can make a video of making comments on tactics on somebodies video (it can be your own club training video or video of chen qi versus ma long in 2011 for example - really good video of proper ball management and tactics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-8ECXb9n9w&ab_channel=ttCountenance) ).

or you can make a video of some funny stuff - for example somebody smashing and you are like defending with lobs with cup of coffee (without coffee :) ) something like this. 

or you can make a video of some tricks 

or you can make a video of training some really difficult serve etc with funny music lIke Benny Hill

or you can explain how you see training abilities and proper elements for different levels of players etc.

or you can explain what injuries can have those who have bad patterns in movement/strokes 

or you can explain how you see training order of elements and why

or you can show how you should improve drills etc.
bzdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2020 at 1:04am
thanks for the suggestions, I like these ideas and I’ll try to incorporate some

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2020 at 1:13am
I'm glad to be helpful and it will be nice to see them :) 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2020 at 3:17am

I think it's also depending on the rubber you started off with. A lot of these thin brush heavy loopers started with Tenergy on carbon blades lol so they developed the thin contact to avoid their shots going out all the time... For me I started off with 5 ply wood with Hurricane so you're forced to hit hard early on otherwise you wouldn't even reach the net lol....kinda like the short pips idea that Valiantsin mentioned. 

Once you have the power it's easy to adjust it down, but if you don't have the power it's hard to acquire it. For me, even looping underspin is more like the same stroke (with solid contact hitting), except that you do it upwards rather than forward. If you do thin brush looping against those super heavy underspin pushes it's so easy to miss the ball completely because the margin of error is so low. I have no idea how Timo Boll does it....guy has some seriously good touch and feeling...

Edited by blahness - 09/27/2020 at 3:27am
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic