Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smash!!! Grrrrr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
quelfala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quelfala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smash!!! Grrrrr
    Posted: 12/12/2006 at 6:20am
Awww guys , i am so frustrated that everytime i smash my opponent always block it back, well i alredi smash it with all my strength but my opponent can block it easily.Is it theres a relation with my rubber sheet i use??!!! i m using G888. From my experience , my G888 is very sticky( eventhough had use it for almost a year) it is still very sticky until now =.= still can keep the ball on the rubber/stick on the rubber eventhough upside down
Current Setup
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive(YEO)
FH- TG 2 NEO
BH- Bryce Speed FX
Sponsored Links

HKdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 6:30am

I used to have that problem too. When you smash, try to aim at the right hand side of your oppenents shoulder. This is their weakpoint. Another good point is to smash it where the opponent isn't is. Also, make variations like making it other spins or doing a drop shot instead.

Hope that helps!

There are no stupid questions; only stupid people... I'm probably not referring to you
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 11:39am
Flat smashes are no longer dangerous unless you're using pips, this is because the 40mm ball slows down faster than the 38mm one. Instead try getting some spin on your kills, even if the intial speed isn't high the speed after the bounce will be much higher.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 12:12pm
use speed glue???
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 1:48pm
Hkdude gives good advice:
However looking at improving yr smash stroke:

1.How often do you practice your smash?.
2.Do you transfer your weight?
3.Do you smash close to the table?
4.Which balls do you like to smash?
5.How Tall are you?
6.What is your style?
For Instance I am small and quick. I smash the ball early and my power is great when I am close to the table, but when I am far back my opponent may return it.

Of course faster rubber will smash faster but as HKdude says placement is the key.
If you can answer the above questions we can advise more. :-)

inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
zerowings007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerowings007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 6:41pm
equipment blade off+,speed glue(good until 2008), fast rubber, early ball contact timing, transfer of entire body weight +forward motion at the correct timing, weight training, practice & practice with multi-balls.

this are only a few of the requirements.
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 7:41pm

to perform a smash good and consistant you have to get above the ball with your blade and come down on the ball,very similar to a tennis serve but more down.

If you know the ball is going to bounce REALLY high then hit the ball on the way up but if you can tell the ball will bounce about your head height or lower then hit the ball at top of bounce. If you do this correctly with ANY blade ANY rubbers then not many people will see the ball let alone return it

Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 8:36pm
Sounds to me as though your placement must be predictble, i.e. you consistently smash to the same spots on the table.
YEO

Boost TP
kollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 8:47pm
hold the angle of the smash until the last second. your smash is perdictable
Shibutani ST
Tackifire C
Feint Soft
DavidR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 9:20pm

I have deffinately improved this part of my game. Sometimes my smashes are returned but typically the return is weak and high. I have worked on consistently being able to smash these balls. I found that the second smash I can typically put where I want it and end with this as a winner.

Practice this and you will feel more comfortable with your smash. Also, you will get used to the customer returning your smash and be ready for it.

cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 9:45pm
also try to develop a dropshot
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2006 at 10:23pm
It is difficult to do with heavy topspin lobs, but for the normal, defensive lobs that you need to put away, try the "tennis serve" smash technique. The timing needs to be almost perfect, but if you can swing fairly aggressively and swipe the outside of the ball as you snap your wrist, your smash will have good speed and will take an abrupt curve with massive sidespin.
quelfala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quelfala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2006 at 9:56am

Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Hkdude gives good advice:
However looking at improving yr smash stroke:

1.How often do you practice your smash?.
2.Do you transfer your weight?
3.Do you smash close to the table?
4.Which balls do you like to smash?
5.How Tall are you?
6.What is your style?
For Instance I am small and quick. I smash the ball early and my power is great when I am close to the table, but when I am far back my opponent may return it.

Of course faster rubber will smash faster but as HKdude says placement is the key.
If you can answer the above questions we can advise more. :-)

well i like to smash high non-spin ball and i practice trice a week and i am 184cm tall=.= quite too tall for playing table tennis and i like to smash close to table

Current Setup
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive(YEO)
FH- TG 2 NEO
BH- Bryce Speed FX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2006 at 8:14am
Well you should analyse the tall pros Persson Samsonov etc and gain an understanding of how they use their bodies. They dont kill as often as the smaller guys, but
they keep up the tempo of the rallies with fantastic counterdriving and blocking. if they do full weight transference too often they'd be out of position too often and in any case they cant prepare as quick as Kong or Waldner.
So dont look at Persson big kill and spend a lifetime copying it, but rather look at how top players who are tall make their bodies an asset:
1: they are consistent ralliers
2: their long reach helps them in defence
3: their power when they have time can intimidate defenders

I havent seen your game but I am sure you will get a lot from this kind of study
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2006 at 9:47am
Your opponent may just be great at blocking smashes I've met quite a few of these monster blockers. Normally, a smash is not returned if it's a full power blast to an fairly unpredictable location, but there are some people who simply know where you are going to hit before you know it yourself These people are great at blocking fast balls close to the table, but as soon as you add serious topspin variation, good *long* and *low* topspin placement you will find a way to drive them off the table and this is the key. As soon as they are off the table they have to move more and your chances will greatly increase.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2006 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by YATTP YATTP wrote:

Your opponent may just be great at blocking smashes I've met quite a few of these monster blockers. Normally, a smash is not returned if it's a full power blast to an fairly unpredictable location, but there are some people who simply know where you are going to hit before you know it yourself These people are great at blocking fast balls close to the table, but as soon as you add serious topspin variation, good *long* and *low* topspin placement you will find a way to drive them off the table and this is the key. As soon as they are off the table they have to move more and your chances will greatly increase.

yes
I met one of these guys recently in a league match: Returned most of my kills, an unusual experience for me: :-).
Lost to our defender though:
Afterwards turned out he was a pro soccer goalie!
He could stop them, but couldn't score them!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2006 at 7:44pm
try to smash from corner to corner, placing the ball on the same spot a few times will make your opponent comfortable to your smash but changing spots will definitely give him a hard time
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
darcycudmorepei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcycudmorepei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2006 at 5:32pm
Every now and then fake a smash with a drop shot.  Make sure your smashes are all over the place too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic