Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Supinate vs Pronate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supinate vs Pronate
    Posted: 11/26/2020 at 8:40am
Just to ilustrate the terms.

Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2020 at 4:51am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Is this English, I have played for over 50 years and don't understand anything above , 

I thought the thread was about Dignics and Tenergy

LOL if you've already played 50 years there's no point to changing anything anymore...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 9:57pm
Is this English, I have played for over 50 years and don't understand anything above , 

I thought the thread was about Dignics and Tenergy

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 9:20pm
OK :) 

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

For relaxed arm - is ok - let's forget about it - it should be relaxed with a bit tension to control.
Leave it here.
I am on this topic - about pronation and supination and why and in which cases you would prefer one instead of another in FH and in BH.

I still maintain my point, there is only pronation in the FH loop and supination for the BH loop. You must always have the increasingly closing of the racket angle no matter what. For heavy backspin, what you do is you contact the ball at say 3-4 O clock, and at the end of your stroke it should end at maybe around 1-2 O clock. If you don't use pronation/supination you can still loop the ball, the spin will be just much weaker. And if you use the reverse you won't be able to generate any significant topspin. 

Now here I'm talking about contact and only about forearm pronation/supination. There are other factors which change the blade angle, especially when there is a sideways component of the stroke, which is I believe where the confusion is...
I do not understand you.
You saw cases of pronation on BH - at least how I did that.
And still maintain your point? :) 

Yes, because you raised your arm lol which opened the blade angle, it is not forearm pronation... besides that stroke wouldn't be imparting any significant topspin compared to a supination heavy stroke. 
-------
Viscaria

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 9:12pm
Hi peeps, I took the freedom to move the thread to the coaching section, it should not change anything if you have a favorite to it, the URL stays the same.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

That's an extreme example. It is hard to generalize anything from it. He went as smart as it gets and had he tried anything else, he could have broken his hand  hitting the table with it, better lose the point. Zhang Jike played it right, the success was he could continue playing the match LOL.

It should be an extreme point to show that yes - he wen as smart as he could - because of base he had that time.
But with different approach - it's not a big deal to return such cases without loosing initiative.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 9:09pm

For relaxed arm - is ok - let's forget about it - it should be relaxed with a bit tension to control.
Leave it here.
I am on this topic - about pronation and supination and why and in which cases you would prefer one instead of another in FH and in BH.

I still maintain my point, there is only pronation in the FH loop and supination for the BH loop. You must always have the increasingly closing of the racket angle no matter what. For heavy backspin, what you do is you contact the ball at say 3-4 O clock, and at the end of your stroke it should end at maybe around 1-2 O clock. If you don't use pronation/supination you can still loop the ball, the spin will be just much weaker. And if you use the reverse you won't be able to generate any significant topspin. 

Now here I'm talking about contact and only about forearm pronation/supination. There are other factors which change the blade angle, especially when there is a sideways component of the stroke, which is I believe where the confusion is...
I do not understand you.
You saw cases of pronation on BH - at least how I did that.
And still maintain your point? :) 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Blahness Blahness wrote:

Just tried it out, those are good cues. 
thanks! I guess I passed! As you can tell I am on your path like the lumbar stuff :)

Hi stiltt, 
I believe you are right :) 
But for me belly button is pretty good point for BH :) 

So it was about classic stuff.

Modern tt is very fast - the stroke should be shorter and faster - it is not really well rotated sometimes - take a look at Harimoto - often times ball goes down to the net after his opponent tries to block it.

To shorten it without loosing speed and not loosing precision - what could you do?

Also for FH - you have to flip/topspin and the ball has underspin and pretty fast and lower the net - what could you do? :) 

I mean something like on this video:
what could Jan Jike  do not to fail in that case?
That's an extreme example. It is hard to generalize anything from it. He went as smart as it gets and had he tried anything else, he could have broken his hand hitting the table with it, better lose the point. Zhang Jike played it right, the success was he could continue playing the match LOL.

Edited by stiltt - 11/25/2020 at 9:10pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 9:03pm

Leave it here.

-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 8:57pm
Leave it here.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 8:40pm

One tip I had from a super high level friend (which I can only get 4-5 points  per game) is that this is all well and good, but once you've learnt it you should "forget" about it and stay loose, the mechanism will be even stronger when it's naturally combined with all the other moving parts of the stroke.The danger is that we focus so much on the pronation/supination that it becomes the driver of the stroke rather than the body, this will lead to spinny but weak strokes. 
I agree about game stuff.

But what about training sessions?
I mean not those "hard to teach an old dog new tricks" but those guys who are yet flexible in mind?

Yeah I mean if it's just training it's useful to reinforce it so that you know how to use it (and it makes a huge difference initially). But I think once you got the hang of it it's actually even better to "forget" about it and just do it naturally. My friend observed me playing and noted that while the stroke path was good I was losing a lot of the force from my body (even though I was actually doing it, I was not transferring it effectively into the ball) because I was concentrating too much on the wrist/forearm action. So the advice was to loosen the arm entirely (trust in yourself to do the correct thing), focus more on the legs/hips and then explode into the ball naturally. I tried it and it really improved the stroke quality significantly because I was actually timing the various acceleration components better.  From the outside, the stroke looks exactly the same but the quality is significantly higher lol.
Hm :) 
We again about a bit different.
I am about actual training with real base exercises - from the roots.

Agree with all that stuff with legs/hips, but while it's necessary - it's not enough.
You should apply that energy somehow and should know how to dampen inertia to move one way or vice versa - how to use inertia to move another way - according to the combination you are implementing.

What I am actually speaking about - trade off - between speed/spin and ability to move to next proper position. 
Like consistency against all-in if you want.

In that case with Jan Jike - he could implement FH topspin - but for that - he should be trained differently so that his legs would allow him to come to different place and in worst case he could just flip or push that Ma Lin serve, of course it would be different style of game.

But that time two only things Jan Jike could do (cause he was trained that way) - he could either push or topspin and he failed on topspin - different approach, mb better for some other cases but not that time.
And further TT goes - worse that old Jan Jikes approach for FH works.
Different tendencies.
And many people now learn how to deal with that.

Actually here is a cycle where FH game goes in place again in start of point but with different targets.

Hmm I don't quite understand your point. Yes ideally all the components of the strokes have to come together in one explosive movement, but it's quite difficult to time it well such that they are acting together unless you're loose in the arms. 

You can of course reduce body rotation to gain recovery time, the focus on consistency vs all in is quite individual. I know some guys who love to go all in (especially penholders) even when they have to lose balance, some go 50% and try for a rally. Actually it's an interesting topic also, my friend told me that I was too risk averse and halfhearted lol, he advised me to ignore mistakes and just try looping as high quality as possible for every loop (probably 80%-90%) without losing balance. So basically just go for all the shots without hesitation, and don't care so much about losing. 

Zhang Jike definitely underestimated how spinny and short the serve was gonna be (due to the extreme backspin) and mistimed the loop so failed. He would probably have dumped the serve in the net even if he pushed considering that he misjudged the spin and length of the serve. 
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 8:28pm

One tip I had from a super high level friend (which I can only get 4-5 points  per game) is that this is all well and good, but once you've learnt it you should "forget" about it and stay loose, the mechanism will be even stronger when it's naturally combined with all the other moving parts of the stroke.The danger is that we focus so much on the pronation/supination that it becomes the driver of the stroke rather than the body, this will lead to spinny but weak strokes. 

I mean not those "hard to teach an old dog new tricks" but those guys who are yet flexible in mind?

Yeah I mean if it's just training it's useful to reinforce it so that you know how to use it (and it makes a huge difference initially). But I think once you got the hang of it it's actually even better to "forget" about it and just do it naturally. My friend observed me playing and noted that while the stroke path was good I was losing a lot of the force from my body (even though I was actually doing it, I was not transferring it effectively into the ball) because I was concentrating too much on the wrist/forearm action. So the advice was to loosen the arm entirely (trust in yourself to do the correct thing), focus more on the legs/hips and then explode into the ball naturally. I tried it and it really improved the stroke quality significantly because I was actually timing the various acceleration components better.  From the outside, the stroke looks exactly the same but the quality is significantly higher lol.
Hm :) 
We again about a bit different.
I am about actual training with real base exercises - from the roots.

Agree with all that stuff with legs/hips, but while it's necessary - it's not enough.
You should apply that energy somehow and should know how to dampen inertia to move one way or vice versa - how to use inertia to move another way - according to the combination you are implementing.

What I am actually speaking about - trade off - between speed/spin and ability to move to next proper position. 
Like consistency against all-in if you want.

In that case with Jan Jike - he could implement FH topspin - but for that - he should be trained differently so that his legs would allow him to come to different place and in worst case he could just flip or push that Ma Lin serve, of course it would be different style of game.

But that time two only things Jan Jike could do (cause he was trained that way) - he could either push or topspin and he failed on topspin - different approach, mb better for some other cases but not that time.
And further TT goes - worse that old Jan Jikes approach for FH works.
Different tendencies.
And many people now learn how to deal with that.

Actually here is a cycle where FH game goes in place again in start of point but with different targets.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 8:12pm

Edited by blahness - 11/25/2020 at 8:13pm
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 8:00pm

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 7:55pm

Edited by blahness - 11/25/2020 at 7:56pm
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 7:41pm
Hi stiltt, 
I believe you are right :) 
But for me belly button is pretty good point for BH :) 

So it was about classic stuff.

Modern tt is very fast - the stroke should be shorter and faster - it is not really well rotated sometimes - take a look at Harimoto - often times ball goes down to the net after his opponent tries to block it.

To shorten it without loosing speed and not loosing precision - what could you do?

Also for FH - you have to flip/topspin and the ball has underspin and pretty fast and lower the net - what could you do? :) 

I mean something like on this video:
what could Jan Jike  do not to fail in that case?

Edited by Valiantsin - 11/25/2020 at 7:50pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

To keep things simple, right or left handed: 

-Pronation in the fh is starting with the palm facing up and finishing with the palm facing down.

Of course at the end of the fh back swing, people often have the palm facing down but it does not have to be to produce a good fh, it's just for simplicity, giving a one dimensional fh that flies through a plane. We could push saying that palm facing down at the end of the fh back swing is technically incomplete because we'll just have the brushing without any help from the pronation.

-Supination in the bh is starting with the palm facing down and finishing with the palm facing up.

Of course at the end of the bh back swing, people often have the palm facing up but it does not have to be to produce a good bh, it's just for simplicity, giving a one dimensional bh that flies through a plane. We could push saying that palm facing up at the end of the bh back swing is technically incomplete because we'll just have the brushing without any help from the supination.

----------

An idea to train pronation in the fh is finishing the fh back swing with the thumb able to point behind us. It can only point forward when we cancel pronation out with the palm facing down at the end of the back swing.

An idea to train supination in the bh is finishing the bh back swing with the thumb able to press the belly button. Only the pinky can do that when we cancel supination out with the palm facing up at the end of the back swing. Note: it is not comfortable to train supination that way on the bh, I find easier to finish the bh back swing with the thumb able to press on the non playing hip.

Just tried it out, those are good cues. 
-------
Viscaria

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 7:05pm
To keep things simple, right or left handed: 

-Pronation in the fh is starting with the palm facing up and finishing with the palm facing down.

Of course at the end of the fh back swing, people often have the palm facing down but it does not have to be to produce a good fh, it's just for simplicity, giving a one dimensional fh that flies through a plane. We could push saying that palm facing down at the end of the fh back swing is technically incomplete because we'll just have the brushing without any help from the pronation.

-Supination in the bh is starting with the palm facing down and finishing with the palm facing up.

Of course at the end of the bh back swing, people often have the palm facing up but it does not have to be to produce a good bh, it's just for simplicity, giving a one dimensional bh that flies through a plane. We could push saying that palm facing up at the end of the bh back swing is technically incomplete because we'll just have the brushing without any help from the supination.

----------

An idea to train pronation in the fh is finishing the fh back swing with the thumb able to point behind us. It can only point forward when we cancel pronation out with the palm facing down at the end of the back swing.

An idea to train supination in the bh is finishing the bh back swing with the thumb able to press the belly button. Only the pinky can do that when we cancel supination out with the palm facing up at the end of the back swing. Note: it is not comfortable to train supination that way on the bh, I find easier to finish the bh back swing with the thumb able to press on the non playing hip.

Edited by stiltt - 11/25/2020 at 7:28pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 6:43pm
Played today and my blue sponge Hurricane was close to unplayable :( 

I think I'm getting sick of Hurricanes hardening prematurely and feeling like a brick unless you boost/tune it again, just gonna switch to double D09c from now on and save myself all the trouble.
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Better to discuss the sometime invisible sometimes not movements which seems tricky to actually explain plainly. 
Valiatstin video work is nice and appreciated definitely as a way to shed more clear light on "wrapping" the ball to increase stroke quality. 
Jokes aside both are a good topic 
Thank you :) 

Just would like to tell that those who tell following 3 things are right in their own way:
1) There is no "wrap" movement;
2) There is "wrap" movement;
3) The pronation or supination is build into the full stroke motion;

Point 1) is right from Physics - yes - there is no rolling of ball and there is no wrapping around the ball with the paddle;
Instead there is a really short interaction period between the ball, the rubber and the wood.
Angles in which this interaction happened together with motion on the ball and motion of paddle apply tension to the rubber which is making shot itself.

Point 2) is right from Proprioception - it is the sense through which we perceive the position and movement of our body, senses that depend on the notion of force
It is connected with muscle spindles - actual organelle which reacts to something that happened with our muscles.
In this case it is our feedback from the paddle - and it is 0.1-0.001 sec (depending on action potential of fusimotor action - whether calcium(slow) or natrium(fast)) 
late as the contact already happened.
So here we come to the 3) point.

Point 3) is right from the point of biomechanics.
We stretch the motion of pronation on approximate period of time when we expect that actual interaction between ball and paddle will happen.
It is actually not the only motion we do with our wrist.
It's impossible to isolately do stroke without using any of them: flexion/extension, radial/ulnar deviation or pronation/supination, 
because balancing of paddle will include all of them anyway.

The only thing - it's better to know about them and to use properly instead of closing the eyes and not taking them to attention.

Edited by Valiantsin - 11/23/2020 at 12:21pm
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 7:30am
Dignics completely destroys Tenergy in short game control and also the amount of gears available. 

Here is a view: More precisely, using the "gears" metaphor, Dignics has more lower gears, Dignics does not have more higher gears.  Moreover, it may be argued Tenergy has more higher gears, and Tenergy 05 Hard has the most high gears.

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 4:50am
and booster
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 4:50am

Dignics completely destroys Tenergy in short game control and also the amount of gears available. 

Tenergy is good only if you need the rubber to help you out in power...

its amazing how the tone has changed about tenergy lol.

you could say that about carbon blades also
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 3:41am
Yep that changed quick didn't it GeekThe new world order and all Wink Dignics and Tenergy discussions are soo last year. Better to discuss the sometime invisible sometimes not movements which seems tricky to actually explain plainly. 

Valiatstin video work is nice and appreciated definitely as a way to shed more clear light on "wrapping" the ball to increase stroke quality.

Jokes aside both are a good topic

Edited by ghostzen - 11/23/2020 at 3:57am
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 3:09am
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

LOL WTF happened  to my thread. 

Didn't you get it yet? Dic**ics is for pronation while Tenergy is for supination or the other way around LOL
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2020 at 3:01am
Nice videos and thanks for creating and  posting Thumbs Up

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2020 at 10:54pm

I know where you're getting at. It's mainly because you're looking at the blade angle changes going from closed to open hence it must be pronation. But really what I'm trying to explain is that it's not necessarily the case. Try lifting your hand and watch how the blade angle changes.
One more time - take a look at palm direction i.e. bones - I do not speak anything about blade now.
So when the palm to wrist joint is in the same plane together with elbow part of bones then it's a marker for you.
If you take a look after that to these exact parts of wrist you will easily see where the pronation took place and where supination.

It's evident that sometimes FZD does supination, sometimes pronation.

Palm direction is basically the same as the blade angle. When you raise the hand, your palm direction naturally changes. But raising your hand is not pronation... this is also why this topic is so difficult :(
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2020 at 10:27pm

I know where you're getting at. It's mainly because you're looking at the blade angle changes going from closed to open hence it must be pronation. But really what I'm trying to explain is that it's not necessarily the case. Try lifting your hand and watch how the blade angle changes.
One more time - take a look at palm direction i.e. bones - I do not speak anything about blade now.
So when the palm to wrist joint is in the same plane together with elbow part of bones then it's a marker for you.
If you take a look after that to these exact parts of wrist you will easily see where the pronation took place and where supination.

It's evident that sometimes FZD does supination, sometimes pronation.

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2020 at 10:12pm

Hi Valiantsin, the wrist movement from Fan Zhendong also includes a fair deal of wrist flexion/extension which also changes the blade angle. Pronation/supination has nothing to do with the wrist to forearm angle, because it's internal rotation of the forearm itself (which is why it's notoriously difficult to spot) and is not a wrist action. You can pronate without moving your wrist at all. 

TT Gold recently uploaded a video which includes this gem here at 6:44 onwards explaining pronation in the FH.

Hi blahness,
there is an explanation where I meant you should take a look at:
P.S. 
Sorry for my poor english 

-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic