Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Very heavy TB ALC or Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very heavy TB ALC or Spirit
    Posted: 11/14/2020 at 11:19am
I've got an opportunity to buy a super heavy 96-97g TB ALC or TB Spirit. Still deciding between the two. What would the difference be? Which one would be more head heavy/stiffer/better for loops etc? 
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 3:45pm
No difference, take whichever one the handle feels better. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 4:14pm
TB Spirit in my experience feels a bit more head heavy.  If you prefer that go with it.  TB Spirit also feels not as hard on the outer plies.  TB ALC feels a bit harder but it also has more balance towards the handle.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 5:12pm
So I've got quite an old generation TB ALC 93g, and its centre of balance is notably more inside the head compared with my TBS 93g. Are these new TB ALC's less head heavy than the old ones?

Edited by Rollko - 11/14/2020 at 5:12pm
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2020 at 2:55am
The question, if all Butterfly ALC blades (with koto outer and ALC directly under the outer layer) are nearly the same or if there are general differences, is one of the most discussed questions here and in other forums.

Generally the weight-difference is more important than the "name" of the blade. I think, this point is not to discuss. It is a fact. Some players have the feeling, that you will not feel any difference, if you compare 3 of these blades with the same weight and I would also agree if we add a little word: there is no BIG difference.

Due to my endless tests ( I am one of these crazy EJ`s) and my time as collector (of course it is hard to collect and not to test) I have tested several Butterfly ALC blades during the years and therefore I do not agree that there is NO difference. For me there IS a LITTLE difference between an average Boll ALC and an average Goquan or Zhang Jike ALC. 

For me the average Viscaria is the softest and most bouncy Butterly ALC blade while Boll ALC has the hardest feeling:

Viscaria < Gaoyuan ALC < Zhang Jike ALC < Boll Spirit < Boll ALC

But of course you will find some Viscaria, which feel much harder than others. The reason is simple: the Viscaria is already sold for a long time. I got really heavy blades (my heaviest Viscaria was 98g) and you can also find extremely light blades (my lightest was one of the new version (with the green dot), which had a weight of only 81g. Of course this feeling of this Viscaria had NOTHING to do with the feeling of the heavy Viscaria.

But in general the differences are only small, if both blades have the same weight. Therefore you should choose the one with the handle-shape that you like most. For example the ST handle of the Boll series has a more square shape while ST handle of the Zhang Jike ALC or Gaoyuan ALC (the shape of these 2 handles is nearly the same) have a more rounded handle. Between these handles I clearly prefer the more rounded, but a lot of people prefer the Boll shape. This is a question of personal preferences. And this point is more important than you think.
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2020 at 5:07am
Thanks. What is the FL handle of TB ALC like, compared to FL TBS?

TB ALC being harder and crisper than TBS, would you say it'd be slower and less bouncier but perhaps more stable for blocks/counterloops? With TBS better for open ups and loops away from the table? 
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2020 at 3:25am
For me the Boll ALC is very similar to Boll Spirit. The difference is really small.
As I clearly prefer ST handles, I can not help you with the handle-differences on FL handles.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2020 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

For me the Boll ALC is very similar to Boll Spirit. The difference is really small.
As I clearly prefer ST handles, I can not help you with the handle-differences on FL handles.

Which Bty Blade is similar to Long 5?
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2020 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Which Bty Blade is similar to Long 5?

NONE!
nothing is similar. Innerforce ALC is close but must be 1mm thicker. ALC or ZLC isn't similar to white ZLC from Long5
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2020 at 8:15pm
Hi chop4ever, I never heard of "white ZLC". What is the difference with regular ZLC?

The long5 is possibly the best blade for those world class athletes who can swing so much faster. I liked its woody feel, I just let it go because I am getting older and I want the fun of hitting with something faster, even though sometimes, some balls that could have landed do not, it's the price I choose to pay to watch those other balls not coming back.

passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2020 at 3:20am
The best blade I ever owned was a TBS 94g. So I'll go with that
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2020 at 7:16am
Hi, have you owned a heavy TB ALC as well?
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2020 at 7:37am
No. All the ALC I've had and played with are: ZJK ALC, TBS, viscaria, innerforce layer ALC, bo2, v14pro
But out of all a 2012 TBS was the best
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2020 at 5:38pm
do you think it had to do with the weight? were those other alc blades lighter? maybe a 94g tb alc would be similar?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic