Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yasaka Leopard Blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Leopard Blade
    Posted: 11/25/2020 at 11:11am
To all,

An older player that comes to my club occasionally was talking to me about his favority blade of all time, the Yasaka Leopard.  He asked me if I could locate one online that was for sale.  Does anyone have a picture of this blade they can post here?  Was it a single-ply blade or a 3-ply blade? What blade would be a good replacement for this?

Thanks
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 2:31pm
I don't have a picture of one myself, but there are a few on google images. The blade is a 3-ply Hinoki if I remember correctly. It's a pretty unique construction so in terms of replacements, I'd look for the same type of blades. Juic makes one called the Hinoki 3, available at paddlepalace for about $65 USD. Darker used to make one called Mai Gouban, but it is discontinued. 
The quality of the wood matters for these Hinoki blades, especially the 1 ply and 3 ply ones. If you know anyone with a good 1 ply Hinoki blade, or even a 5 ply, your friend could try them out and maybe expand their search criteria.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 2:46pm
I thought it was an 11-ply blade, I'll research.

edit: my mistake, the Yasaka Leo is 11-ply not the Leopard. If I stumble on a Leopard I'll post here.

Edited by stiltt - 11/25/2020 at 3:03pm
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 3:00pm
Charlie at bladesbycharlie.com used to make a 3 ply cypress based on the Leopard. If you contact him, he might be able to make one for you custom. Depending on the price, it could be a very good option.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 6:51pm
thanks everyone.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Chairman Meow Chairman Meow wrote:

Charlie at bladesbycharlie.com used to make a 3 ply cypress based on the Leopard. If you contact him, he might be able to make one for you custom. Depending on the price, it could be a very good option.
Following Chairman Meow's path, I would recommend trying the Tibhar H-3-9 that is a 3-ply 100% hinoki blade as well. I had one and it was deliciously soft and very fast. At $100 it's a very good deal, it used to be $150 everywhere, still is at PP.

Edited by stiltt - 11/25/2020 at 10:05pm
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2020 at 10:33pm
I owned one, before giving it to my friend years ago.

But as I remember, mine is Yasaka Leopard EX.

It is 3-ply Hinoki blade.

I remember it was advertised as one of the fastest blade (in that era, I believe in the 1980s).   But in the 2000s when I tried it, it was slow compared to today's standard.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2020 at 10:40am
It'll be difficult to find one considering it hasn't been in production for maybe 15 years? There just so happens to be one available on Mercari:

The blade was heavily marketed in Japan because it was used by Kiyonobu Iwasaki, who won the All Japan Championships in 1996.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2020 at 1:42pm
thanks for all the help and suggestions. The one for sale on Mercari is 18,000 yen or $172. I’ll let my friend know
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2020 at 8:59pm
18,000 Yen???

Now I regret giving it to my friend.  Cry Smile

Judging from the pictures there, mine was in much better condition.  No dings, etc.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2020 at 10:31pm
I know somebody that has a yasaka cougar I think it is. I believe it's a one ply hinoki
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
munai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2020 at 9:12pm
I have Yasaka leopard in new condition for sale :)
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2020 at 12:49am
I bought this 3-ply Yasaka Leopard new in the late 1980s and played with it for many years. I acquired its 6-ply cousin, the Yasaka Panther, more recently. Charlie at BBC borrowed this very Leopard a few years ago to model his 3-ply "Leo" homage blade. He even emulated the oversized head shape, and can reproduce the oddly square handle with sharp wedges if you're so inclined. I still use a very similar handle albeit with a different blade that's more suited to SP and the plastic ball.

BBC, SP, LP
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I bought this 3-ply Yasaka Leopard new in the late 1980s and played with it for many years. I acquired its 6-ply cousin, the Yasaka Panther, more recently. Charlie at BBC borrowed this very Leopard a few years ago to model his 3-ply "Leo" homage blade. He even emulated the oversized head shape, and can reproduce the oddly square handle with sharp wedges if you're so inclined. I still use a very similar handle albeit with a different blade that's more suited to SP and the plastic ball.

Which one is better for SP ,the 3 ply one?
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2020 at 9:10pm
The 3-ply blade is indeed good for SP. In fact, my current SP blade is a BBC 3-ply with the same dimensions and wood except for a Poplar center ply. As for the Panther, I haven't tried using that one yet.. maybe after Covid.
BBC, SP, LP
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2020 at 2:37am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

The 3-ply blade is indeed good for SP. In fact, my current SP blade is a BBC 3-ply with the same dimensions and wood except for a Poplar center ply. As for the Panther, I haven't tried using that one yet.. maybe after Covid.

Ah, I remember now.   

When I first bought that Yasaka Leopard, I used standard inverted rubbers on both sides.    But I remember that owner of the store that I went to, strongly suggested that I tried SP on the BH side.

I refused, but now I know why he did that.   Probably he thought that Leopard was good for SP.

I used inverted both sides but I remember that I had no problems whatsoever, it was fine.

Edited by doraemon - 12/07/2020 at 2:38am
Midgot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midgot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2021 at 4:12pm
Hi guys, 

Do you know something about the existence of a cpen 1ply blade from this era? A friend gave me this blade to be the spare pair of my Darker Speed 90 few months ago and the visual characteristcs are very similar to these Panther and Leo, but it's 1 ply, but I could'nt find any reliable information (not even the name) about it aside from being an very old Yasaka blade, this friend bought it on the 80ies but the blade was kinda forgotten on his basement for years and he didn't remember much about it, here are some pictures of it that may help identify it. 

Edited by Midgot - 08/25/2021 at 7:54pm
flipthepips View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipthepips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2022 at 7:55pm
The one ply blade similar to the three ply Leopard was the Yasaka Cougar. I have one of these blades myself. They do tend to split eventually with stress cracks. I can post a picture if anyone interested is still around as i just read this post.

Midgot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midgot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2022 at 8:48am
Originally posted by flipthepips flipthepips wrote:

The one ply blade similar to the three ply Leopard was the Yasaka Cougar. I have one of these blades myself. They do tend to split eventually with stress cracks. I can post a picture if anyone interested is still around as i just read this post.

Yeah, It'd be nice to see it, and if you know its name you will solve a mistery for me, I posted about a similar blade few months back, but as I received as a gift I don't know its name, and I really would like to know its name, here are some pictures of my blade, but of instead of a shakehand, it is a  c-pen

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic