Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new forehand technique( need tips)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PhilippVttc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilippVttc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new forehand technique( need tips)
    Posted: 11/30/2020 at 3:25pm
Hey guys,
I have recently worked on my forehand technique and would like to get some tips what i can do better. I have two videos whre i recorded my technique,but you can only see me from the fromt becausemy camera was on the other side of the table. Note that i recorded teo videos because in one i used full speed,bur my partner had not eenough space to block it good,so i slowed down a little bit on my Second video to get some longer rallies:

Thank you for your tips
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 3:53pm
You're moving your centre of gravity up and down, which is why your stroke isn't stable. When you do your weight transfer from right to left, your right knee should rotate forward and "collapse" so that almost all weight goes to your left. The right thigh must move forward so that you are throwing your weight forward thus giving the ball forward momentum. If you do it correctly you should see your centre of gravity stay stable throughout the entire stroke. 

It's not explained in the video, but watch the difference between Gucchy's right thigh and Yassun's right thigh, you'll notice that Yassun brings his right thigh much more forward when he hits the ball hard. This is a super important detail that many people miss. 

See 

Edited by blahness - 11/30/2020 at 4:01pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by PhilippVttc PhilippVttc wrote:

Hey guys,
I have recently worked on my forehand technique and would like to get some tips what i can do better. I have two videos whre i recorded my technique,but you can only see me from the fromt becausemy camera was on the other side of the table. Note that i recorded teo videos because in one i used full speed,bur my partner had not eenough space to block it good,so i slowed down a little bit on my Second video to get some longer rallies:

Thank you for your tips

It's a good stroke - experiment with taking the ball earlier.

You could probably relax the arm and whip it a bit more.  But these things get better with practice and experiment - it will get better just with practice and playing better players and blockers.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 5:40pm

Hey guys,

Thank you for your tips
Hi, PhilippVttc.
It 's either shadow or really you shrug too much - I guess your inconsistency because of this.
Try to control the ball with legs and body only - where you arm would do one and the same movement.

But anyway - I like how much you improved your FH since the one before last time.
And I like that your partner made blocks with BH to make more stable return to you - you both are progressing.
Good job - continue to master it.

Edited by Valiantsin - 11/30/2020 at 5:42pm
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 9:08pm
Technique looks fine for now. Next step should be to increase the quality. Work on getting more explosive at the hip. Once you get better at using your hips to accelerate, you can focus on keeping the arm relaxed just before making contact. Then you can work on actively accelerating with your forearm as well as wrist
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 11:08pm
Your basic technique is ok.  You just need to put in the time.  Once you loop 100,000 more times, you will relax a bit more which will help, especially on your left side.  Try to be able to loop 50 times without missing.  Then try to change the arc on purpose to learn how to control the ball better.  You are on the right track, you just need to practice more. 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 11:45pm
put your free arm at your side rsther than the front. Do not clip it too tight. It will help you rotate if it is a bit loose. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2020 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

put your free arm at your side rsther than the front. Do not clip it too tight. It will help you rotate if it is a bit loose. 

Yeah the way his free arm is, it will for sure be a hindrance when he's switching to the BH. 
-------
Viscaria

PhilippVttc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilippVttc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2020 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you for your tips
Hi, PhilippVttc.
It 's either shadow or really you shrug too much - I guess your inconsistency because of this.
Try to control the ball with legs and body only - where you arm would do one and the same movement.

But anyway - I like how much you improved your FH since the one before last time.
And I like that your partner made blocks with BH to make more stable return to you - you both are progressing.
Good job - continue to master it.

Hey, what do you mean with shrug to much?
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2020 at 7:56am
I mean it seems that your shoulder goes up and down to get to the ball and that's why your strokes are not identical.
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2020 at 3:25pm
first time i see your stroke so i can’t comment on the “technique change” but your fh mechanism look decent to me, a bright start if you haven’t played tt for too long.
My suggestions:
- use body movement to generate power. The stroke would start with your lower body and then upper body swing (with relaxed arm/shoulder), then the arm will only need to snap right before contact. 
- less shoulder movement, more arm snap (which needs to be quick but also compact) 

When i look at your current technique, sometimes it seems you try to catch and hit the ball with the arm/shoulder and your body follows, not the other way around. It lacks a little body weight transfer before you actually make contact with the ball, that also causes you to hit the ball a little bit late, when it already comes parallel to your body, while the ideal contact should be a little in front of your body (30-45 degrees). The late contact is the main reason for your errors in the video.

For practicing fh strokes, the power should comes 70-80% from your body (or the ground or weight transfer, whatever you call it), only 20-30% from arm snap.

Probably the issues are only because you haven’t practiced enough with this new technique, and once you are more fluent and confident, the body will be more relaxed and the stroke would be automatically better.

Edited by balldance - 12/03/2020 at 3:26pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2020 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Technique looks fine for now. Next step should be to increase the quality. Work on getting more explosive at the hip. Once you get better at using your hips to accelerate, you can focus on keeping the arm relaxed just before making contact. Then you can work on actively accelerating with your forearm as well as wrist

+1 almost everything is in the hip rotation (weight transfer), once you got that everything becomes 10x more stable and easier. 
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic