Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

relaxed low effort opening loops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: relaxed low effort opening loops
    Posted: 12/20/2020 at 4:33pm
I discovered a new style of opening loop yesterday by accident during training against long pips haha. 

So usually against other inverted players when I do an opening loop it is with full power (weight transfer, rotation) and full stroke, only with the majority converted into spin. This is usually very deadly against inverted players because their rubber is quite spin sensitive, more spin is harder to control for them. 

Against long pips, if you try that style of opening loop, all the spin is gonna just get returned to you, and because you did a full stroke it's hard to recover when it's returned in a nasty way. So actually a better way to do the opening loop is to slow down and gently wrap the ball instead of thinking brush as hard as possible. So there's no need for full power, you can simply do half the weight transfer (or less) and still get the ball onto the table easily. The advantage is that you don't need to lose your position (unlike the full power opening loop), due to the small rotation it's easier to execute and you're much less likely to be jammed, recovery is much faster, you can relax, and focus more on control, placement, and even spin variation (depending on how you wrapped the ball, around the back to the top will give you topspin, if you went around the side it will give you more sidespin and if you went underneath the ball to the side it's even gonna be sideunderspin). 

I think a few women CNT players loop like this against choppers (Zhu Yuling and Ding Ning). 

The only issue is that you won't be able to produce a very high quality topspin this way, it's slow and less spinny compared to the full power opening loop. Could be a nice variation though to throw opponents off. So you could have the full power opening loop when you're in good position, and the low effort opening loop when you're in a bad position.

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2020 at 5:49am
usually
this is called the roll ! - an essential tool against defence whether lp or not
imho if you cant execute the roll you are an incomplete player
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I discovered a new style of opening loop yesterday by accident during training against long pips haha. 

So usually against other inverted players when I do an opening loop it is with full power (weight transfer, rotation) and full stroke, only with the majority converted into spin. This is usually very deadly against inverted players because their rubber is quite spin sensitive, more spin is harder to control for them. 

Against long pips, if you try that style of opening loop, all the spin is gonna just get returned to you, and because you did a full stroke it's hard to recover when it's returned in a nasty way. So actually a better way to do the opening loop is to slow down and gently wrap the ball instead of thinking brush as hard as possible. So there's no need for full power, you can simply do half the weight transfer (or less) and still get the ball onto the table easily. The advantage is that you don't need to lose your position (unlike the full power opening loop), due to the small rotation it's easier to execute and you're much less likely to be jammed, recovery is much faster, you can relax, and focus more on control, placement, and even spin variation (depending on how you wrapped the ball, around the back to the top will give you topspin, if you went around the side it will give you more sidespin and if you went underneath the ball to the side it's even gonna be sideunderspin). 

I think a few women CNT players loop like this against choppers (Zhu Yuling and Ding Ning). 

The only issue is that you won't be able to produce a very high quality topspin this way, it's slow and less spinny compared to the full power opening loop. Could be a nice variation though to throw opponents off. So you could have the full power opening loop when you're in good position, and the low effort opening loop when you're in a bad position.

....Yep its still a roll ...Agree with PPP

Edited by ghostzen - 12/29/2020 at 9:43am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

usually
this is called the roll ! - an essential tool against defence whether lp or not
imho if you cant execute the roll you are an incomplete player

Haha I didn't know it had an actual name... yeah it seems super useful against defensive players to really throw them off their rhythm. So what I've been experimenting with is just to roll a couple to get some good feeling then just powerloop to finish off the ball when any opportunities arise. It allows me to avoid the LP players being able to use my heavy spin against myself. 

Alternatively I could also wear out the chopper by simply continuing to roll forever and make him bored af until he decides to attack which gets countered easily for a winner, aka the He Zhi Wen strategy against choppers haha....
-------
Viscaria

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2020 at 11:05pm
i think it is also called a dummy loop. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 12:07am
I think it depends on the type of chopper you're facing. If they're passive, it's ok. If they have a good attack and the footwork to use it, this shot often opens up a lot of opportunities for them
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 5:57am
its a dummy loop if you try to disguise it by swinging faster after the ball has left the racket.

Having a good roll technique is not as easy as you might think. You must be able to send your shot to the white line of your opponent (good length)
if your shot lands short then the opponent may have an easy kill

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 01/01/2021 at 5:58am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 8:21am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

its a dummy loop if you try to disguise it by swinging faster after the ball has left the racket.

Having a good roll technique is not as easy as you might think. You must be able to send your shot to the white line of your opponent (good length)
if your shot lands short then the opponent may have an easy kill

Yes it's not so easy at all, I think it would require some significant targeted practice to master.... Also it can produce some good spin too or sidespin or no spin depending on how you contacted the ball. 
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic