FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

looping balls on the rise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looping balls on the rise
    Posted: 01/01/2021 at 8:38am
Super advanced technique that I plan to learn some time later when my loops are better. It's opening loops and not just normal loops btw...

So the idea is that you "catch" the ball with your right leg if you're FH looping and your left leg if you're BH looping, then use the quick hip thrust to create the impact necessary, then a small arm movement to wrap the ball. You have to adjust the blade angles more precisely to suit the incoming ball but this is the price you pay. Borrowing the incoming spin and speed is key.

Played my training partner today again and was thoroughly impressed by his mastery of this technique. I usually loop at the highest point or even slightly lower. This is so destructive when it's done well. For me I feel like I haven't even recovered from my last stroke and the ball is already near my body Dead

Edited by blahness - 01/01/2021 at 9:07am
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 10:07am
DEAR FELLOW FORUMERS

I am pleased to give a gift for everyone.
I tryed it and I like it very much.
A young female cousine of mine is mad about the game. I teached her a variety of tricks just to satisfy my inner Ego. She would practise this trick for hours without getting tired.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Edited by igorponger - 01/01/2021 at 10:26am
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 10:32am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Super advanced technique that I plan to learn some time later when my loops are better. It's opening loops and not just normal loops btw...

So the idea is that you "catch" the ball with your right leg if you're FH looping and your left leg if you're BH looping, then use the quick hip thrust to create the impact necessary, then a small arm movement to wrap the ball. You have to adjust the blade angles more precisely to suit the incoming ball but this is the price you pay. Borrowing the incoming spin and speed is key.

Played my training partner today again and was thoroughly impressed by his mastery of this technique. I usually loop at the highest point or even slightly lower. This is so destructive when it's done well. For me I feel like I haven't even recovered from my last stroke and the ball is already near my body Dead
are you talking about opening up against underspin, but talking the ball almost before it’s highest point? If so, I recommend you to ask a chopper if you could practice your looping against his chops. I would try to focus on your forearm swing. If you just think about taking the ball quickly off the bounce with your forearm, you should get a feeling for it. You could also try to use mostly wrist, just to get a feel and experiment. But it the end it’s mostly forearm speed.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 1:25pm
Off the bounce counter loops drive or off the bounce counter drive or slap/smash maybe?

Small arm movement and lots of pace would give the ball a pretty quick return.

Good call TT Gold ...from a backspin or topspin ball ..

Cheers

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

are you talking about opening up against underspin, but talking the ball almost before it’s highest point? If so, I recommend you to ask a chopper if you could practice your looping against his chops. I would try to focus on your forearm swing. If you just think about taking the ball quickly off the bounce with your forearm, you should get a feeling for it. You could also try to use mostly wrist, just to get a feel and experiment. But it the end it’s mostly forearm speed.

Yes, it's an opening loop against underspin hit before the ball reaches its highest point. Absolutely insane haha.
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Off the bounce counter loops drive or off the bounce counter drive or slap/smash maybe?

Cheers

Off the bounce counters are easy, we do it all the time in training. Off the bounce opening loops are really not that easy....
-------
Viscaria

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 5:02pm

Cheers

Off the bounce counters are easy, we do it all the time in training. Off the bounce opening loops are really not that easy....

Once the early timing, swing speed and feel is sorted with some good practice it's not over tricky. Adding a ton of power takes a bit of work to build up to  with such a short stroke that you mention mind. 

Edited by ghostzen - 01/01/2021 at 5:03pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 8:54pm

Cheers

Once the early timing, swing speed and feel is sorted with some good practice it's not over tricky. Adding a ton of power takes a bit of work to build up to  with such a short stroke that you mention mind. 

Lol you gotta be kidding me, if it's so easy why isn't everyone doing it? Absolute majority of players loop at highest point or even when it's dropping. Are you really that fast that you can cover pushes to the entire table and loop them while they're still rising? 
-------
Viscaria

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 10:16pm
this is best effective above the table as a service receive or countering against loop but this is very hard. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2021 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

this is best effective above the table as a service receive or countering against loop but this is very hard. 

Thank you for the sane comment here unlike ghostzen Mr "everything is easy af and I've seen it all and I know everything".
-------
Viscaria

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 4:42am

Cheers

Lol you gotta be kidding me, if it's so easy why isn't everyone doing it? Absolute majority of players loop at highest point or even when it's dropping. Are you really that fast that you can cover pushes to the entire table and loop them while they're still rising? 

Lol you gotta be kidding me.... 

I was actually 😁 .... Read it again...😁😁 Sorry Blah, no harm meant honestly it might have been a bit dry.. . Happy New year my friend! 😊.  I just wanted to see how you would take such a bonkers comment!  Timing, swing speed, feel...basically as much as I could put in. 

But on the up side you should get in a couple of weeks.. tops. 

Cheers 

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 5:02am

Thank you for the sane comment here unlike ghostzen Mr "everything is easy af and I've seen it all and I know everything".

I was actually 😁

But seriously I have played for plus years since a youngish age all over the place and seen quite a bit... not everything, I would never say that my friend. What you see sometimes as a "new" development or new way of.. Say looping... See... Your basic roll thread .. Has been around for a long time. Seriously kudos to want to share everything with such vigor. It makes the forum interesting and alive. 

Cheers 

Edited by ghostzen - 01/02/2021 at 5:05am
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 5:40am
Back to the topic.. Apologies for the disruption. 

Yogi_Bear Above the table counter topspin ball do you mean something like Paul is doing in the video?

Or more of a much shorter stroke.. well drive/smash/slap almodt is the only way to discribe it. Little backswing and  driving straight into the ball?. 

Cheers 

Edited by ghostzen - 01/02/2021 at 5:53am
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 5:42am
It's not too hard to start one or two. It's just not as easy to loop backspin because you tend to have to come more over the ball them up. It is a whole new technique so is hard to implement, because of those works better with tacky rubber. But I found the technique too demanding on my admittedly poor backhand

Good luck 🤞
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 6:01am

Cheers

I was actually 😁 .... Read it again...😁😁 Sorry Blah, no harm meant honestly it might have been a bit dry.. . Happy New year my friend! 😊.  I just wanted to see how you would take such a bonkers comment!  Timing, swing speed, feel...basically as much as I could put in. 

Cheers 

Yeah that comment is bonkers. Many even professional players don't do it (loop the ball while it is rising)...

What I really meant was around 20:51 in the video below..

Edited by blahness - 01/02/2021 at 6:01am
-------
Viscaria

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 6:24am

You practice partner is seriously world ranked if he can do this all the time against you. 

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 6:28am

Cheers

Cheers 

Yeah that comment is bonkers. Many even professional players don't do it (loop the ball while it is rising)...

What I really meant was around 20:51 in the video below..

It was supposed to be a bit.. Got you on the video Thumbs Up Tricky shot yeilds high reward but very very few will be able to create that type of stroke consistently. 

Edited by ghostzen - 01/02/2021 at 6:37am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 6:55am

You practice partner is seriously world ranked if he can do this all the time against you. 

The shot quality isn't exactly world ranked lol (most important deciding factor of level)... but the timing I feel is indeed like that... I think he can only do it against me because he knows all my shots/spins too well... I highly doubt he can execute them against an unfamiliar opponent...
-------
Viscaria

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 11:48am

Yogi_Bear Above the table counter topspin ball do you mean something like Paul is doing in the video?

Or more of a much shorter stroke.. well drive/smash/slap almodt is the only way to discribe it. Little backswing and  driving straight into the ball?. 

Cheers 

Shorter strokes. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2021 at 11:50am
Cheers Yogi.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2021 at 9:42am

Cheers 

Shorter strokes. 

I agree with the shorter stroke comment, if you have a big stroke there's no way you'll be able to loop balls on the rise. It just needs to be like a Bruce Lee style (for eg his famous short stroke punch) tight 1-2 movement with no unnecessary movements. But you can't sacrifice shot quality too significantly (otherwise it defeats the  entire purpose),so you still have to have the most important aspects of the movement ie the weight transfer + hip thrust, contraction of the forearm (or expansion for the BH), and the all important pronation on the FH (supination on the BH), all done within a split second. One very important aspect is not to go too low to loop underspin, but rather just bend more at the legs to provide the upwards "spring" effect later on which is key in overcoming whatever underspin is on the ball. And the contact can't be sloppy, it has to be focused and precise because there's just not much room for error at this hitting point. I actually found the issue in my BH loop which was a huge power leak, my contact often was done with the wrist still bent, if I contacted the ball with my wrist being straight and neutral, then a lot more power gets transferred to the ball. 

I did some experimentation and shortened my BH stroke significantly while playing tonight and was able to do some quality loop receives of long fast serves almost off the bounce even if it had heavy sideunderspin, haven't tried it on the FH loop, but I think it's probably more useful on the BH side because with this ability to loop whatever junk balls off the bounce on the BH cuts off a lot of angles and prevents opponents from being able to jam you on the BH to put you out of position, which then allows you room on the FH side to really load up on the powerloops. There's still a LOT of training required before this becomes a bread and butter shot for me, but it already looks very promising! 

The funny thing is that training this actually forced me to optimise my BH stroke even further, which was a really unexpected benefit!

Edited by blahness - 01/03/2021 at 9:49am
-------
Viscaria

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2021 at 10:11am
i would loop the ball on the rise if i  receiving a half long serve and will do full swing but for follow uo loops, shorter swing near the table. 

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2021 at 6:04pm

i would loop the ball on the rise if i  receiving a half long serve and will do full swing but for follow uo loops, shorter swing near the table. 

Imo on the BH with certain BH mechanics you can transition smoothly from the chiquita to the full BH loop when you make them very similar, so you can cover the entire BH half of the table with quite a powerful attack without really caring about the length of the ball. 

The hardest is actually the long fast jamming pushes, those are the hardest to loop on the rise. But one has to start somewhere so for me it's just dealing with long fast serves first haha...
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic