Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blade Recommendation For D.Tecs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade Recommendation For D.Tecs
    Posted: 01/06/2021 at 6:05am
Hi,

After almost 2 years of avoiding it, I've finally jumped onto the D.Tecs bandwagon, and got myself one in OX.. Now, I'm looking for recommendations on what blade to pair it with .. 

First, a bit about my style of play..
  • I've be playing with LP for almost 2 years, and still learning how to play with them.
  • With LP on the BH, I will play a mixed-style of Push-Blocker, and defender (I will move mid-distance away form the table and chop (with limited ability), especially against power-loopers. 
  • Most of the blocking close-to-the table is passive.. 
  • I twiddle quite a bit.. I will push, receive serves (on BH), hit, flick, and even block, with the inverted on the BH
  • Usage of LP on the FH side is limited (ability wise)
  • On the FH side with inverted, I have (what I'd like to think of as ) a fairly decent top-spin and attack game, I can also block the the inverted side on the FH
I've tried D.tecs on Stiga Allrounds, VKMO, Donic Persson Carbotec, of which I liked it on the VKMO blade, the best. However, the VKMO is a heavy for me, and not to mention, out of my budget. I find the  Allround Classic good on the LP side, but lacking in the offensive department.. Plus, I feel it has a smaller than avg. head-side

Lately, I've taken quite a liking to stiff, Hard, and fast'ish blades.. 

Looking for recommendations for a blade that's
  • Is light (Due to an elbow issue, I cannot tolerate any blade over 85gms. 75-80gms is ideal)
  • Is stiff and fairly hard (Similar to blades like VKMO)
  • Is faster than Stiga Allround Classic but slower than VKMO
  • Has a head-size larger than Stiga Allround Classic
  • I'd prefer something on the cheaper-side.. <= 40USD .. 50 if it's something exceptional
Sponsored Links

merlin el mago View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin el mago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2021 at 9:45am
One or maximum two varnish thin layers over the FH side of you Stiga AllRound Classic & you are done. I had the same problem as you.

Edited by merlin el mago - 01/06/2021 at 9:47am
No more political prisoners in Catalonia.
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2021 at 10:37am
Hard and stiff usually means heavy. Dense wood is heavy. Now if you find something that it's hard and stiff and "slow-er" -- that would mean the blade would be ridiculously thin, like 5.0mm thin, and thus it wouldn't be very stiff. It's a catch 22, you can't have it all.

VKMO is an excellent blade. So is VKM, although it's not as fast/stiff. Korbel is also good for both offense and defense but it's not light either. Maybe you can find one that's 85-87g - it would work great with pips.

Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Hard and stiff usually means heavy. Dense wood is heavy. Now if you find something that it's hard and stiff and "slow-er" -- that would mean the blade would be ridiculously thin, like 5.0mm thin, and thus it wouldn't be very stiff. It's a catch 22, you can't have it all.

umm...  It would be easier for me to agree if you said Stiff+Hard =Fast, but I'm not sure if I agree with your statement that Stiff+Hard=Heavy .. 

I have 2 blades (XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon & XVT Black Knight 7)  that're Stiff & Hard, but not that heavy.. They're OFF- and OFF+, but not heavy = 1 is just 65gms, and the other is 86gms..

Friendship had one that checked all the boxes, but thats been discontinued .. 

Infact Nittaku Endless is an example of blade that is in the 70 - 80gms range, and is quite stiff and fairly hard .. However, this one too has been discontinue .. Plus, it was rather slow.. 

Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

VKMO is an excellent blade. So is VKM, although it's not as fast/stiff. Korbel is also good for both offense and defense but it's not light either. Maybe you can find one that's 85-87g - it would work great with pips.

Yep, tried various places, for a lighter VKMO, but the lightest I found was 89gms.. 
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by merlin el mago merlin el mago wrote:

One or maximum two varnish thin layers over the FH side of you Stiga AllRound Classic & you are done. I had the same problem as you.

That would make the blade just a tad stiffer .. won't make the blade faster.. 

BTW, what blade are you using ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin el mago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2021 at 3:52pm
Stiga AllRound Classic.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2021 at 7:49pm
A lady (CAD rating ~1600) in our club uses primorac carbon. So, you can try Yinhe T2. It may as fast as VKMO though.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2021 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

A lady (CAD rating ~1600) in our club uses primorac carbon. So, you can try Yinhe T2. It may as fast as VKMO though.

The T2 is light and stiff+hard, indeed .. However, isn't it really fast ..

I'm not hung-up on the hardness of the blade, as much as the stiffness..

To give you'll a point of reference

In terms of speed, I'm looking for a blade just a notch or 2 up from the Stiga Allround Classic

In terms of stiffness & Hardness, I'm looking for blade around the same as the VKMO, give or take.

Over and above, the blade has to be less than 85gms

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin el mago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2021 at 4:42am
Another idea is to use heavy rubbers like Chinese so increasing the weight you increase the speed. The blade speed is related to weight, so no free lunch.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2021 at 6:46pm
I would recommend nittaku shake defense, but too expensive I guess.
Maybe try persson powerplay? Can go slow or fast, moderately hard and stiff but good spin and control
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2021 at 7:21pm
Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus is a very popular pushblocking racket with OX, and it's light. But it doesn't meet your stiffness requirements.

I have a friend who plays OX with a Butterfly Schlager Carbon.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2021 at 9:58pm
Andro Blax Off - 78 gms. Fast and light, very stable.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2021 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Veet Veet wrote:

In terms of speed, I'm looking for a blade just a notch or 2 up from the Stiga Allround Classic

In terms of stiffness & Hardness, I'm looking for blade around the same as the VKMO, give or take.

Had 2 friends using ck531a one of them played with sardius and the reversal was crazy insane like those expensive LP. The other guy used a off- and didnt have much reversal

Also another player used feintlong with zjk szlc and his game improved because all his pushes were flatter and harder to attack
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2021 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

Maybe try persson powerplay? Can go slow or fast, moderately hard and stiff but good spin and control

I've played (Tried) with both, the NSD and Powerplay ...  NSD with FLII was really really good, but felt really heavy .. Played with Powerplay - No stand-out features. Plus, if I remember correctly, it didn't feel light..  Infact, I've tried a Donic Persson Carbotec with a D.tecs (0.5mm), and it played quite good..It's blade and quite stiff, and fast, but I felt it also absorbed speed quite well. However, it does require a sponged LP, and it's also heavy .. 
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2021 at 11:07am

Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

I've played (Tried) with both, the NSD and Powerplay ...  NSD with FLII was really really good, but felt really heavy .. Played with Powerplay - No stand-out features. Plus, if I remember correctly, it didn't feel light..  Infact, I've tried a Donic Persson Carbotec with a D.tecs (0.5mm), and it played quite good..It's blade and quite stiff, and fast, but I felt it also absorbed speed quite well. However, it does require a sponged LP, and it's also heavy .. 

Carbotec feels hollow?
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2021 at 4:19pm
Dr Neubauer Matador? Stiff, hard, light(ish). Great blade and designed exactly for what you're looking for.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2021 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Had 2 friends using ck531a one of them played with sardius and the reversal was crazy insane like those expensive LP. The other guy used a off- and didnt have much reversal

Also another player used feintlong with zjk szlc and his game improved because all his pushes were flatter and harder to attack
x2
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 1:05am
Originally posted by kevo kevo wrote:

Dr Neubauer Matador? Stiff, hard, light(ish). Great blade and designed exactly for what you're looking for.

True, seems to check most of the boxes - It's a wee bit over my budget - I don't mind stretching, if the blade well worth it ..  However, my biggest concern is the weight ... Is this blade available in anything less than 85gms ..The blade is spec'ed-out at 88 - 90gms, on most sites.. 

Edited by Veet - 01/09/2021 at 1:06am
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 1:13am
So, while racking my brains for blade options, I thought of Stiga Clipper or Allround CR.. I've played with both. I love the clipper, and barring the weight, it would be ideal ..Sadly, on most sites, it's weight is listed at 90gms.. Hss anyone come across a regular Clipper at anything less than 88gms ? 

I visited the Stiga website, and saw the Nostalgic Allround, and the Defense Pro. On paper, both seem like worthy options ... The Nostalgic Allround is an upgrade from the regular allround, but harder and a bit faster.. I've not tried either.. 

Anyone here played with Stiga Nostalgic Allround, and/or Defense Pro

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 3:41am
Theres a veteran player in my club who tries a lotta different equipment, his main go to bh rubber is an ox grass dtecs. Like you, even he rates the all round classic as the best for control but lacks fh offensive power. After trying a lot of blades, including the nostalgia all, which had a nice effect( longer and lower trajectory, tough some would prefer a shorter trajectory) with the pips (i could notice since im on the receiving end usually) but he somehow dint like the overall feel and how it worked for him in games, he finally stuck with  stiga celero and infinity quite a bit last 2 years after trying a whole lotta blades. He recently fell in love with a yasaka extra 3d and i gotta say, it feels like just the right upgrade from the all round classic, slight increase in fh power with really good control on his bh pips, even without being a pips player i could control the pips on this ply better than any other ply, and i mean i could open backpsin balls, send back knuckle balls off loose topspin, attack as well as place serves short. So yeah, the 3d extra is worth a try for ox pips on the bh. 
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 4:23am
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

Theres a veteran player in my club who tries a lotta different equipment, his main go to bh rubber is an ox grass dtecs. Like you, even he rates the all round classic as the best for control but lacks fh offensive power. After trying a lot of blades, including the nostalgia all, which had a nice effect( longer and lower trajectory, tough some would prefer a shorter trajectory) with the pips (i could notice since im on the receiving end usually) but he somehow dint like the overall feel and how it worked for him in games, he finally stuck with  stiga celero and infinity quite a bit last 2 years after trying a whole lotta blades. He recently fell in love with a yasaka extra 3d and i gotta say, it feels like just the right upgrade from the all round classic, slight increase in fh power with really good control on his bh pips, even without being a pips player i could control the pips on this ply better than any other ply, and i mean i could open backpsin balls, send back knuckle balls off loose topspin, attack as well as place serves short. So yeah, the 3d extra is worth a try for ox pips on the bh. 

Thanks .... I did have a look at the Yasaka Gatien Allround, earlier, but then, the specs seemed quite similar to the Stiga Allround .. The Extra 3D, seems heavier (??) 
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 4:36am
Yes, i guess i found a bit lighter than the infinity and maybe heavier than the allround. A fastarc g-1 was used on the fh. With the pips, you get the feeling that absorbing power shots arent very tough, without losing the ability to push the ball really deep while also keeping it low without too much effort unlike the allround classic. And the fh was pretty easy to use  as well,not extraordinary insany stroke, but gives you good control for brushy as well as flat strokes. 
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 5:09am
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

Yes, i guess i found a bit lighter than the infinity and maybe heavier than the allround. A fastarc g-1 was used on the fh. With the pips, you get the feeling that absorbing power shots arent very tough, without losing the ability to push the ball really deep while also keeping it low without too much effort unlike the allround classic. And the fh was pretty easy to use  as well,not extraordinary insany stroke, but gives you good control for brushy as well as flat strokes. 

Oops.. I was reading the Specs of Extra 7, when I said that the Extra 3D was heavy ... The Extyra 3D, on paper, seems within the weight I can tolerate.. 
azv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 11:06am
TT11 had some very light Joola CWX, 75-80g. Plays like an oversized version of the classic limba outer all round blades. You can also try the Victas V11 in the FH, its very light and decently powerful 
TSP Swat, V15 Extra, LP
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by azv azv wrote:

TT11 had some very light Joola CWX, 75-80g. Plays like an oversized version of the classic limba outer all round blades. You can also try the Victas V11 in the FH, its very light and decently powerful 

Ahh yes,.. I know of this, but for some reason it never occurred to me ..
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2021 at 12:11pm
Has anyone here played with Donic Waldner (Ultra) Senso Carbon, and D.tecs or any other LP ?
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 1:51am
I'll throw in one more: fang bo b1 (all wood) like clipper but with koto outer
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 10:22am

True, seems to check most of the boxes - It's a wee bit over my budget - I don't mind stretching, if the blade well worth it ..  However, my biggest concern is the weight ... Is this blade available in anything less than 85gms ..The blade is spec'ed-out at 88 - 90gms, on most sites.. 

To be honest, Veet, I can't remember but I'm used to light blades and the one I had didn't at all feel heavy, even with MXP or 05 max on the FH. You won't regret it!
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 10:43am

To be honest, Veet, I can't remember but I'm used to light blades and the one I had didn't at all feel heavy, even with MXP or 05 max on the FH. You won't regret it!

Yesterday, I was playing at another club, and having the same discussion as this thread .. So, one of the players too recommended Dr. Neubauer Matadaor but he mentioned it as Matadaor Tax .. 

I wish there was some way I could try-out all these recommendations .. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic