Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative to Donic Coppa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative to Donic Coppa
    Posted: 01/07/2021 at 11:21am
Hi All,

What is the best modern alternative to a speedglued classic Donic Coppa? It was my favourite rubber back in the day, but it wouldn't quite work without speedgluing anymore. If I remember correctly, the topsheet was slightly tacky and the sponge was medium leaning medium-hard. Of course it won't be apples for apples as the balls are different now as well, but are there any similar modern alternatives?
Sponsored Links

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2021 at 3:55pm
Maybe Acuda ..
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2021 at 2:59am
Evolution MX-P :) in 1.9mm it's very controllable
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2021 at 3:57am
There may be others, but right now, only XIOM Vega China VH comes to mind .. 
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 11:05pm
PalioAK47 is the best alternative to a speed glued classic in terms of feel that I have ever found. I would most closely compare it to a Sriver, but also comparable to Donic Coppa. It comes in 3 levels of hardness:
Red (Hard)
Yellow (medium)
Blue (soft)

I think for the classic feel, probably best go for Yellow - but objectively for the new balls, best is Red - harder rubbers are very useful nowadays. 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2021 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

PalioAK47 is the best alternative to a speed glued classic in terms of feel that I have ever found. I would most closely compare it to a Sriver, but also comparable to Donic Coppa. It comes in 3 levels of hardness:
Red (Hard)
Yellow (medium)
Blue (soft)

I think for the classic feel, probably best go for Yellow - but objectively for the new balls, best is Red - harder rubbers are very useful nowadays. 

oooh,,,My fav rubbers ... Incomparable to any other, in terms of price:performance .. I've tried the Red, Yellow and Blue variants; on different blades, and I like all 3 ... 

I don't think either compare to the classic Sriver .. Okay, the blue - maybe, just a wee bit.

However, I'm pretty sure they;re not similar to Donic Coppa - If I remember the Coppa, it has some tack on it, and the AK-47 (Red, Yellow, Blue), and almost devoid of any tack. 

The AK-47 Red, I would put in the same vicinity as the MX-P.

The AK-47 Blue, I would, put in the same vicinity as the Xiom Vega Europe

The Yellow - I'm not too sure as to what to compare it to .. 

My current fav is the Red variant .. and I agree, that with these new balls, I too, feel that harder rubbers work better. 

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 8:50am
Ah.. OK , then probably HK1997 Gold would be more similar to Donic Coppa - HK1997 Gold is slightly tacky - it is really awesome - in fact it is m FH Rubber of choice because it feels classic, has the power of a modern rubber - spins like the best rubbers out there, and has both grip and some tack. 

In fact I was playing HK1997 Gold FH and AK47Red Bh for a year, then on BH I switched to H8.

I tried AK47 Red and Sriver side by side, and to me they have a lot of similarity - the main feature is that they are "point and shoot" rubber - very direct - the ball goes exactly where u point it, even if the opponent spins it to prevent your placement - becuase they are not so spin sensitive. Secondly, the mechanics to generate spin are so similar - AK47 Red is obviously faster, but I remember gluing Sriver with two or three layers and it was similar (although then with glue Sriver was a bit more spinny). 

If Donic coppa is slightly tacky, then I am pretty sure HK1997 Gold will not disappoint as an alternative :)

Originally posted by Veet Veet wrote:

oooh,,,My fav rubbers ... Incomparable to any other, in terms of price:performance .. I've tried the Red, Yellow and Blue variants; on different blades, and I like all 3 ... 

I don't think either compare to the classic Sriver .. Okay, the blue - maybe, just a wee bit.

However, I'm pretty sure they;re not similar to Donic Coppa - If I remember the Coppa, it has some tack on it, and the AK-47 (Red, Yellow, Blue), and almost devoid of any tack. 

The AK-47 Red, I would put in the same vicinity as the MX-P.

The AK-47 Blue, I would, put in the same vicinity as the Xiom Vega Europe

The Yellow - I'm not too sure as to what to compare it to .. 

My current fav is the Red variant .. and I agree, that with these new balls, I too, feel that harder rubbers work better. 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 11:57am
the problem with ak47 is the lack of spin.
hk1997 is a bit more spinny but not too much.
from what I remember cj8000 is the grippiest topsheet of all these.

as for a donic coppa glued replacement.... from donic probably bluestorm z2.
this is what brands have been trying to find since the ban of gluing.
we can assume that with every generation they get better so the latest should be the best (bluestorm in donic's case).

Edited by astaroyd - 01/12/2021 at 12:00pm
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by astaroyd astaroyd wrote:

we can assume that with every generation they get better so the latest should be the best (bluestorm in donic's case).

okay .. It's no MX-S , but they can all generate a respectable amount of spin .. 
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 12:56pm

okay .. It's no MX-S , but they can all generate a respectable amount of spin .. 

have you tried 729 focus III snipe?
it's very similar to ak47
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 1:50pm

Yes.... I currently have a 40°-42° Focus 3 Snipe on a 10mm Balsa blade.. It's another  non-tacky euro-jap style rubber by a Chinese Brand, that I quite like.. Infact, I find, that Focus 3 Snipe has some attributes similar to BTY Sriver.. However, I find that there is a noticeable difference between the topsheet of the AK-47s, and the Focus 3

astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 2:16pm

Yes.... I currently have a 40°-42° Focus 3 Snipe on a 10mm Balsa blade.. It's another  non-tacky euro-jap style rubber by a Chinese Brand, that I quite like.. Infact, I find, that Focus 3 Snipe has some attributes similar to BTY Sriver.. However, I find that there is a noticeable difference between the topsheet of the AK-47s, and the Focus 3

palio hidden dragon is also pretty good.
it's like a hk1997 but a bit faster and livelier.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 6:47pm
AK47 lacking spin, I agree - it is not very spinny - that is why I really think it's similar to Sriver.

HK1997 Gold - is SUPER spinny though - especially looping, the ball is more spinny than with MX-P and only the Adidas P7 used to give me so much spin. 

I think HK1997 Gold is the most underestimated rubber ever. 

AK47 despite lacking spin, is a really really good rubber, because it does everything naturally and at pace, with power.... the spin is not top, but certainly enough to land the ball fast.... I have a friend who used to play with Bryce and actually said its more similar to Bryce

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 7:00pm

palio hidden dragon is also pretty good.
it's like a hk1997 but a bit faster and livelier.

From my experience hk1997 gold much faster then hidden dragon
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2021 at 2:08am
I'll also throw Haifu Blue Whale, into the mix ... 
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2021 at 3:56am
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

AK47 lacking spin, I agree - it is not very spinny - that is why I really think it's similar to Sriver.

HK1997 Gold - is SUPER spinny though - especially looping, the ball is more spinny than with MX-P and only the Adidas P7 used to give me so much spin. 

I think HK1997 Gold is the most underestimated rubber ever. 

AK47 despite lacking spin, is a really really good rubber, because it does everything naturally and at pace, with power.... the spin is not top, but certainly enough to land the ball fast.... I have a friend who used to play with Bryce and actually said its more similar to Bryce

if he said alternative to sriver or donic coppa yes your recomendations are good.
but he said an alternative to SPEED GLUED donic coppa.
no tenergy, dignics, rasanter, bluestorm will offer this performance today.

Edited by astaroyd - 01/13/2021 at 3:59am
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2021 at 9:02am
If you were to compare unboosted T05, T05H, D05 and D09c, which one would be closest to a speedglued Coppa?
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2021 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

If you were to compare unboosted T05, T05H, D05 and D09c, which one would be closest to a speedglued Coppa?

don't know, from those only tried t05.
but I would put t05 much closer to coppa glued than any ak47 or hk1997.

Edited by astaroyd - 01/13/2021 at 12:47pm
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2021 at 2:44pm
I have played with Donic Coppa (a step up from Mark V) and Rakza 7 Soft and both have some tack. I suggest Rakza 7 (unless you want to keep the weight low).
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic