Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

strength training thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strength training thread
    Posted: 01/10/2021 at 6:27pm
Those who do it, what do you do and what's your routine like Tongue
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Those who do it, what do you do and what's your routine like Tongue
Would advice you to ask at any weightlifting or powerlifting forum ;) 

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 7:43pm
For a smaller frame as you are maybe start with body weight exercises or resistance bands. squats to develop stronger legs is also good. Along with agility ladder with weights on ankles to keep your speed. 

You ideally don't want to over muscle as this could slow you down a bit.

Thats a start depending on your level now mind.

Cheers
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

For a smaller frame as you are maybe start with body weight exercises or resistance bands. squats to develop stronger legs is also good. Along with agility ladder with weights on ankles to keep your speed. 

Cheers

Lmao you gotta be kidding me, if by a "small" frame you mean I'm leaner than most of the members here who are overweight and unhealthy af, then yes. 

I used to be able to squat/deadlift 1.5x BW but that was pre-Covid, have lost a lot of that strength since because the gyms were closed :( 

Not asking for advice here, just interested in what you're doing. 
-------
Viscaria

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:18pm
Damn, stickboy getting testy up in here LOL 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

I much rather be lean with visible abs than being obese Wink
-------
Viscaria

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:20pm
I'm not sure this is what you're looking for.  I have 10lb weights (I've been wanting to go heavier, but can't find weights for sale).  

I do 20 reps of 6 different things every other day.  I also do 20 minutes of yoga every day.  Yoga is also good for strengthening.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:28pm

That's what all the scrawnies say until they see a true POWERGUT in beautiful, artistic motion - like a majestic walrus floating effortlessly around the table 
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:30pm

Cheers

Lmao you gotta be kidding me, if by a "small" frame you mean I'm leaner than most of the members here who are overweight and unhealthy af, then yes. 

I used to be able to squat/deadlift 1.5x BW but that was pre-Covid, have lost a lot of that strength since because the gyms were closed :( 

Got you Blah you are smaller framed agree than alot of the guys here. 😊

For me heavy and light Weights and/or resistance bands and hitting the bag. Sits up and pulls ups for body weight type of stuff. Along with more explosive exercises like parachute runs etc to really work the legs. Especially as it's bloody freezing in the UK at the moment! 

I come from a MA/Thai boxing background so I try to hold a fair bit of fitness and conditioning quite a bit of the time.

Cheers. 
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:33pm

That's what all the scrawnies say until they see a true POWERGUT in beautiful, artistic motion - like a majestic walrus floating effortlessly around the table 

This is one of the best and funniest set of quotes I have read for ages!       😊 😊 😊

Stickboy might stay with you Blah... 

Kudos gents Clap thank you for making my day

Cheers FAF.. 

Edited by ghostzen - 01/10/2021 at 8:37pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:34pm

LOL that honestly made me laugh hard.... 
-------
Viscaria

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:34pm
One thing I always include is using bands/cables/chest expander/strand pulling whatever you call them in your countries. Pulling from the front to the rear, working the muscles in the opposite direction of force compared to table tennis. Just to correct any imbalances between the muscle groups. 

I also did Olympic lifting/strongman/grip strength sports prior to table tennis, so continue on with many of those exercises. Also handstands/handbalancing, basic calisthenics and ab rollout. I don't really do anything table tennis specific. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 8:52pm

Cheers

Got you Blah you are smaller framed agree than alot of the guys here. 😊

For me heavy and light Weights and/or resistance bands and hitting the bag. Sits up and pulls ups for body weight type of stuff. Along with more explosive exercises like parachute runs etc to really work the legs. Especially as it's bloody freezing in the UK at the moment! 

I come from a MA/Thai boxing background so I try to hold a fair bit of fitness and conditioning quite a bit of the time.

Cheers. 

It's actually quite interesting because even when I was at my strongest I wasn't all that much bulky compared to now.... 

But anyway, I don't prefer the bulky look and it slows me down tremendously in both TT as well as at the piano. And I think girls don't prefer it too Tongue

Ok I'll share my routine too:

For legs I mainly do Bulgarian split squats with DBs (super underrated exercise imo), resistance band side shuffles. I tried some pistol squats but it requires some insane hip/ankle flexibility which I don't have Dead

For core I'm on the dragon flag progression, lots of Pallof presses with heavy resistance bands from various angles (thanks to the door) and resistance band kneeling ab pulldowns. I'm also investigating something called the L-sit haha

For back it's the classic pull-ups, and weighted DB deadlift + rows

For chest is the hardest to train, pushups are way too easy for me and I don't have a bench :( so it's just floor supported DB fly and DB presses. I'm also trying out the planche version of the push-ups atm which gives me a much better challenge. It's so difficult to replace the bench press imo Cry

Shoulders are easy to train with DBs and resistance bands haha, face pulls, DB front raises + press, figure 8 DB with both hands and something called the Urlarcher haha...

Edited by blahness - 01/10/2021 at 8:55pm
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 9:05pm

Lol you know you're not the only one with a way with words, old fart with   terrible English. Wink
-------
Viscaria

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2021 at 9:23pm

Lol you know you're not the only one with a way with words, old fart with   terrible English. Wink

I'm only in my 40's you young snapper!! Smile you are right about my English mind... it's shocking!!!! Thumbs Up

Dyslexia... Or too much smashing Wink probably a bit of both!

Cheers
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2021 at 12:45pm
I'm kind of a yo-yo with weight training - will be pretty consistent for several months, but started going back to school on top of full time work plus COVID limits the gym option.  Usually when I start weight training again I try to build some confidence in my legs with machines.  Free weights scare me when I haven't been weight training for a while because I know I'll be over confident and try to lift too heavy and hurt my back or knees LOL.  Once I get my confidence back I'll move back into free weights.

I usually do a 3x8 regimen with squats, deadlifts, leg press, leg curl, leg extensions exercises.  If I've been away from the gym for a while I'll start on the leg press/curl/extension machines with ~60-70% of my body weight for leg press and ~30% body weight for leg extension/curl (about half the weight of my leg press).  Do that for a few weeks with some core work until I feel a little stronger and more confident in the legs and core and move to free weights. Core strength is very important for stability when transitioning to free-weights.  I usually do this for a month.

At this point I'll start free-weights with squats at 1x and ~1.2x for deadlift and work up to 1.5-1.6x for squat and 1.7-1.8x bodyweight adding 5-10lbs per session (sometimes no additional weight if I can't finish the set).  Lots of strength gains towards the end of the machine work and throughout free-weight work.  Lots of protein, lots of focus on technique (to prevent injury and to hit the right muscles), lots of stretching. 

I'll also do plyometric work.  Weight training helps build mass and strength, but the plyo work makes your legs fast and improves coordination - jump rope, speed ladders, barrier/table touches.

I was able to get back to the gym for a bit, but COVID happened so it looks like all that work was for naught.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
nafeeuakilu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nafeeuakilu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2023 at 8:25am
Can't believe this thread is already 2 years old, but hey, good discussions never get old, right? So, let's talk strength training!
When it comes to my routine, I like to keep it fresh and mix things up. I focus on compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and bench presses to get that full-body goodness. But hey, everyone's got their own style, so there's no one-size-fits-all approach.
If you're looking for some sweet anatomy knowledge to level up your training, check out https://www.muscleandmotion.com/products/muscular-anatomy-app/. It's like having an anatomy professor in your pocket, but way cooler! Remember, consistency is key, but don't forget to listen to your body.

Edited by nafeeuakilu - 05/18/2023 at 4:34am
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2023 at 9:31am
Originally posted by nafeeuakilu nafeeuakilu wrote:

Can't believe this thread is already 2 years old, but hey, good discussions never get old, right? So, let's talk strength training!
When it comes to my routine, I like to keep it fresh and mix things up. I focus on compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and bench presses to get that full-body goodness. But hey, everyone's got their own style, so there's no one-size-fits-all approach.

I am not sure all of the prior posts are exactly good discussion.

Here is what I do as a 59 year old with some health issues:

Weights-i do only 1 or two days a week:
Usual routine: 
dumbell curls (alternating hands) 5 sets of ten repetitions (may do less if I am upping my weight and do 8 reps or even 4 sets of 8)
incline bench press: reps as above
weight pull downs: reps as above
machine rows: reps as above
Usually work out about 30 minutes. May do dumbell military press, triceps or others.

(Try to run, bike, or at least walk all other days-and most importantly table tennis 2-3 times a week and serve practice 5 days a week.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic