Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hock Paddle sold for $750/Why is price so high?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hock Paddle sold for $750/Why is price so high?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
table tennis 88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote table tennis 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hock Paddle sold for $750/Why is price so high?
    Posted: 04/03/2021 at 2:41pm
 Any ideas on why this Hock model 54-v 6oz paddle  
 sold on eBay jan 17th  for $750? The eBay title is "Vintage Hock Super Rare Inverted Hock Rubber Paddle Table Tennis Ping Pong Bat"  

The eBay description states :"Vintage Hock 54-v Super Rare Custom-Made Ping Pong Paddle Table Tennis Bat. 1/4" 5-ply wood. This is an extremely rare 1/4" original 5-ply Hock. Condition is "Used" but the blade looks like it may have never been used. Hock is best known for its Hardbats but he made a few with inverted Hock rubber. Handle is mahogany wood with the signature Hock nails. Blade Made in USA. A must for any serious collector."

AdvXnOBgz0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by table tennis 88 - 04/03/2021 at 2:42pm
Sponsored Links

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2021 at 5:47pm
Where do you see, that it is sold for this price?
For me it looks as if the offer has been ended (stopped) by the seller.
table tennis 88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote table tennis 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2021 at 5:59pm
In the screenshot image of the eBay page above it states "sold for" $750.00. 
Here is a screen shot of my search for "Hock rare" and selecting "sold listings" 
Maybe I am wrong. Where do you see that the buyer stopped the sale?

jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2021 at 6:36pm
No clue why anyone thinks it's worth that. I personally own 5 different Hock 3 ply rackets, in various models. I never paid more than $75 for any of them. I am sure there are others out there who have even bigger collections.

I don't see any Hock being worth that unless it has some sort of verifiable historic value, like used by Dick Miles to win his 10th US championship. And even that is a stretch.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2021 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

No clue why anyone thinks it's worth that. I personally own 5 different Hock 3 ply rackets, in various models. I never paid more than $75 for any of them. I am sure there are others out there who have even bigger collections.

I don't see any Hock being worth that unless it has some sort of verifiable historic value, like used by Dick Miles to win his 10th US championship. And even that is a stretch.

Thats what I was thinking. Must be a hell of a provinence for $750. 
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Kyrjw65 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyrjw65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2021 at 4:22am
The $600 Hock is my listing I priced it at that because of the $750 listing. I have know idea what it is worth. I bought someone’s collection and don’t know anything about them or their value I have to say I was pretty shocked to see a paddle sell for $750! I figured the one I got is in better condition than that one it looks brand new so I thought $600 is a bargain. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2021 at 6:54am
Originally posted by Kyrjw65 Kyrjw65 wrote:

The $600 Hock is my listing I priced it at that because of the $750 listing. I have know idea what it is worth. I bought someone’s collection and don’t know anything about them or their value I have to say I was pretty shocked to see a paddle sell for $750! I figured the one I got is in better condition than that one it looks brand new so I thought $600 is a bargain. 

Let us know if someone buys it

Does Don varian still make them? He would be the one to ask probably if he's still with us. I just said that cuz I haven't heard from him in about 5 years

Edited by cole_ely - 04/05/2021 at 6:57am

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2021 at 8:16am
Collectors have a weird mentality.  Don't try to understand it.  And only a collector would possibly pay that much for this thing.  
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2021 at 10:34am
I started out with a Hock blade with inverted rubber. Wish I still had it!

Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2021 at 10:34am
$750.00 for a blade. Pah! nothing. Check this one...Note that if you have a dodgy heart, don't click on this linkWink

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2021 at 1:08pm
But, hey, there's free postage.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2021 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

But, hey, there's free postage.
For that price they should walk it to their door personally

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2021 at 5:47pm
One.         Million.         Dollars.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2021 at 1:07pm
I started out with Hock blades and rubber too. Use to go to his house and buy his 3 and 5 ply blade blanks and the handles and assemble. I remember he had a water base glue I use to buy from him in mason jars. made several blades for fellow workers at a old Arvin factory, we had two tables up stairs and that is where I spent my 1 hour lunch break at, those were the good old days. Hock Rubber The Finest Rubber In The World,in green, blue,and red.
Shifter
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2021 at 3:52pm
i would rather die of Covid than to buy that Unhappy
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2021 at 11:47pm
a beautiful $750 Hock paddle or a couple of Darker Imperial Hinoki... mmmmh I'm torn.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic