FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Replacing rubbers - newbie advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bythecshore View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bythecshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing rubbers - newbie advice
    Posted: 04/19/2021 at 9:46am
I am a long-time ping pong player, strictly amateur, but pretty good. Over the years I have bought many, many racquets as the old ones “wear out.” Most of the time, the rubbers lose their tackiness and I replace the whole thing.

I’d like to know what a good alternative to this is, for an at-home type player like be. Can I just replace the rubbers? Is there a good kit or forum thread that discusses this? I’d probably only replace them a few times a year, so would only want to buy a minimum of supplies.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by bythecshore bythecshore wrote:

I am a long-time ping pong player, strictly amateur, but pretty good. Over the years I have bought many, many racquets as the old ones “wear out.” Most of the time, the rubbers lose their tackiness and I replace the whole thing.

I’d like to know what a good alternative to this is, for an at-home type player like be. Can I just replace the rubbers? Is there a good kit or forum thread that discusses this? I’d probably only replace them a few times a year, so would only want to buy a minimum of supplies.

Thanks in advance!

It's hard to put on long pips no sponge. If you use sponge you can probably do it OK.

If you are willing to mail your blade to me I will do it. Still cheaper than ordering a whole new set up every time
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 12:38pm
There are a bunch of video on youtube, some by top pros (Timo Boll, Xu Xin), on how to replace the rubber on your blade. It's not that hard. You need a pair of good sharp scissors, a roller like a bottle of some sort that is longer than the width of your blade, latex based glue and some sponge spreader. I recommend Kai 5626 for the scissors and Copydex glue you might be able to get on ebay cheap. You can also use regular rubber cement if you have some still lying around. It's also important you don't get cheap premade rackets as those generally have the rubber permanently glued to the blade and it's a real pain to remove the rubber cleanly. Just get a combo from Cole https://www.colestt.com/ and you should be able replace the rubber on it when it wears out.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by WingTT WingTT wrote:

There are a bunch of video on youtube, some by top pros (Timo Boll, Xu Xin), on how to replace the rubber on your blade. It's not that hard. You need a pair of good sharp scissors, a roller like a bottle of some sort that is longer than the width of your blade, latex based glue and some sponge spreader. I recommend Kai 5626 for the scissors and Copydex glue you might be able to get on ebay cheap. You can also use regular rubber cement if you have some still lying around. It's also important you don't get cheap premade rackets as those generally have the rubber permanently glued to the blade and it's a real pain to remove the rubber cleanly. Just get a combo from Cole https://www.colestt.com/ and you should be able replace the rubber on it when it wears out.

thanks for the plug, but are you sure timo has a video about replacing long pips ox?  that wouldn't make a lot of sense

edit, I thought the OP said he had long pips.  must have read it too fast

yes, OP, you should easily be able to learn to put your own rubbers on.

Edited by cole_ely - 04/19/2021 at 12:43pm

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

thanks for the plug, but are you sure timo has a video about replacing long pips ox?  that wouldn't make a lot of sense

edit, I thought the OP said he had long pips.  must have read it too fast

yes, OP, you should easily be able to learn to put your own rubbers on.
A friend of mine uses LP OX. When he re-glue it, he always call me to help him in the process. Needed 4 hands to do the job, so he always re-glue in the club.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by bythecshore bythecshore wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Are you cleaning your rubber each time after you play?  It sounds like you're not.  If you play at home once a week or less and clean your rubber, the rubber will last much longer.

WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 1:31pm
Glue sheets are a great help when gluing LP OX. Donic ones work and aren't too expensive from tt11.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 1:35pm
If you think table tennis is fun, wait till you start gluing your own sheets...
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 1:40pm

Glue sheets are a great help when gluing LP OX. Donic ones work and aren't too expensive from tt11.
A friend who uses LP OX says glue sheets changes the feeling of the rubber. He prefers to spread glue in the blade and rubber to attach them.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

A friend who uses LP OX says glue sheets changes the feeling of the rubber. He prefers to spread glue in the blade and rubber to attach them.

I think you're misunderstanding the use of the glue sheets for OX.  I do not put the glue sheet between the rubber and the blade.  I put the glue sheet on the pip side of the rubber.  Then apply the glue to the smooth side of the OX and also to the blade.  When the glue is ready put the rubber on the blade.  When the glue is really dry, peel the glue sheet off the pip side of the rubber.  The glue sheet keeps the rubber even so it goes on easily.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 2:19pm
There must be 50 ways to attach your LP...
You just pull off the back (glue sheet) Jack
Use a little glue Dude
Elmers or water based, just keep the pips flat.

Hopefully the OP is using inverted. If so I will say nothing is worse than trying to peel off the rubber off a pre made.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding the use of the glue sheets for OX.  I do not put the glue sheet between the rubber and the blade.  I put the glue sheet on the pip side of the rubber.  Then apply the glue to the smooth side of the OX and also to the blade.  When the glue is ready put the rubber on the blade.  When the glue is really dry, peel the glue sheet off the pip side of the rubber.  The glue sheet keeps the rubber even so it goes on easily.
That is a good idea! Thumbs Up
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

There must be 50 ways to attach your LP...
You just pull off the back (glue sheet) Jack
Use a little glue Dude
Elmers or water based, just keep the pips flat.

Hopefully the OP is using inverted. If so I will say nothing is worse than trying to peel off the rubber off a pre made.

I got it

bythecshore View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bythecshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2021 at 12:07pm
Thanks Wing, helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic