Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

jupiter 2 vs jupiter 3 asia vs battle 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dAbandit0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dAbandit0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: jupiter 2 vs jupiter 3 asia vs battle 2
    Posted: 05/13/2021 at 8:16am
i am currently playing with commercial h3 neo 38 hardness unboosted I like the hard tacky chinese rubber and i dont want to switch to a euro rubber however I have heard that they are meant to be boosted and that they play better in every way when boosted. I dont want to deal with the hassle of boosting so i want a rubber that feels like its boosted out of the box and for months after you buy it. I have heard good things about the yinhe jupiter series and friendship battle 2 and they are both a bit cheaper with better qc from what i have heard. what ar the key differrences between jupiter 2 3 and battle 2 and what should I buy?

Edited by dAbandit0 - 05/13/2021 at 8:20am
"ya like jazz" -Barry B Benson
Sponsored Links

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2021 at 9:23am
I can tell you that Yinhe Big Dipper is supposedly boosted but is in fact slow like DHS H3Neo unboosted. I wouldn't trust any Yinhe rubber to be faster than H3 Neo. (I tried big dipper 40 and 38. )

Also, boosting is necessary with H3Neo. You will have too much of a handicap without it, and injure your shoulder. H3N 40deg will be slow even with boosting. in my experience the best booster for H3N turns out to be Johnson's baby oil. Better than Haifu Seamoon. (haven't tried falco). Best results with hardness 39, less good on 40. You need to remove the glue before applying booster, especially baby oil, or it will take days to dry.

If you want a rubber that , unboosted, is similar to boosted H3Neo, try Hurricane 8. It's faster, more elastic, like an H3N boosted with two layers, but unfortunately it has less grip. But that is not necessaily a bad thing. (because H3Neo is so grippy and high throw that the ball often flies too much upwards and is very spin sensitive). I tried H8 40, and it has a different feel than H3N 40. the sponge is soft like H3N 38-39, but it's more dense, so it feels different. As I said, it's faster than H3N by 20%, while still a lot slower than MXP. Cheers

Edited by seguso - 05/13/2021 at 9:28am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2021 at 9:32am
Battle 2 is good, but only the black one. I tried a red battle 2, and it is totally different, not sticky and not elastic  (I doubt that I got one from a bad batch? )
NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2021 at 9:39am
I have tried Jupiter 2 in 38 degrees and in my opinion it is a very good rubber and not your typical Chinese rubber. You do still have to brush the ball but to gain more speed and spin you need to engage the sponge more. I did not try to boost it, I found the speed enough.

Battle 2 I found to have a lower throw than H3 Neo but spin is the same and speed is somewhat faster on top end when doing a drive. Good rubber as well. Would not have a problem switching with H3 Neo or Battle 2.

I agree with seguso above regarding H8. Definitely less grip than H3 Neo but the speed and bounce off the racket is faster, I found it actually quite pleasant in a way. Top end spin is less because off less bite on the ball. But touch play close to the table is not compromised, still great control on pushes and I actually found the flicks to be better.
dAbandit0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dAbandit0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2021 at 10:42am
so jupiter is more of a hybrid rubber and battle 2 is more of a typical chinese?
"ya like jazz" -Barry B Benson
NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2021 at 9:07am
Battle 2 is a very typical Chinese rubber and Jupiter is just softer, less tacky. Jupiter is still very Chinese-like in an essence. When I think of Hybrid I think of Nittaku Sieger PK50, Yasaka Rising Dragon.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2021 at 10:28am
IMO battle 2 is significantly better than any sheet of H3 or H3neo I have ever used. Of course the more expensive provincial versions are a little better quality.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2021 at 5:40am
Did someone said Battle 2? 

For those of you who wants to experience a true battle 2 rubber, please have no hesitation and get your self a "golden" version. Just $35 dollars. It is some kind of "premium" variation of normal Battle 2. I saw only one option - hardness H40, thickness 2.15mm.

Don't be confused with H40 hardness. Normally, 729 / Friendship scale is different than DHS. 
DHS scale H38, H39, H40 is similar to 729 H45, H47, H49. 

But with Battle 2 Gold they did it differently. They used DHS scale. So H40 is meant to be matching H40 Neo. Due to the softer top sheet and already applied moderate boosting rubber is lively, very tacky. After tackiness goes away plays fun. The top sheet of Battle Gold reminds me delicate top sheet of Hurricane 8 but a bit more durable. Once you wash the rubber it becomes tacky again. So it perfect competitor for H3, for spin, touch and etc. So H40 Battle 2 Gold is not a brick. Playable right from the pack, no need to mess around with oils.

On the speed side, say on the left you have slowest H3, but on the right you have fastest STN, then Battle is somewhat below STN. It does not have cake sponge. The sponge is solid. Spin is crazy. I love sending FH kill shots with it.                     

On the blind test you would never ever guess it is H40. Feels like H38, but explodes like H40. Factory boosting magic.

The throw angle is more difficult to describe. The only comment I can me here, it is comfortably safe. It depends on the blade too. In my experience, Neo is throwing higher, while normal H3 - lower.

I love trying out rubbers and blades but Battle 2 Gold keeps coming back to FH of my main blade. I am currently at 4th sheet in a row. One sheet of Battle 2 Gold lasts 92 - 100 hours of play. After that mark, top sheet is not so grippy any more. I think it becomes thinner, because pimples become very prominent. I wear down Battle2 in 8 - 10 weeks.

729 nailed it with this rubber. Please note that I tried regular Battle 2, it is not the same. Xiom Omega V Asia is considered serious rubber. I would give away Asia 5 sheet for Battle 2 Gold any time, even though price of battle is twice cheaper.

My friend used to smile at me when I suggest him to get Battle 2 Gold. He resisted for maybe 2-3 months. Then he got one to try and ended up keeping it (put his T05h away). Clap Not my fault.

Yinhe Jupiter 2 H38 is a good attempt to clone H3Neo commercial. I think they over boosted it. I was not opinionated about Yinhe. Gave Jupiter 2 a good 78 hours of play (without changing it) as main BH rubber. I keep my training log. So Jupiter 2 had enough time to open up and reveal itself. I think I found it's sweet spot. It shines on the powerful brushing strokes, top sheet is very capable of spinning the ball. I absolutely hated a short chop / push game with Jupiter 2.
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

Did someone said Battle 2? 

For those of you who wants to experience a true battle 2 rubber, please have no hesitation and get your self a "golden" version. Just $35 dollars. It is some kind of "premium" variation of normal Battle 2. I saw only one option - hardness H40, thickness 2.15mm.

Don't be confused with H40 hardness. Normally, 729 / Friendship scale is different than DHS. 
DHS scale H38, H39, H40 is similar to 729 H45, H47, H49. 

But with Battle 2 Gold they did it differently. They used DHS scale. So H40 is meant to be matching H40 Neo. Due to the softer top sheet and already applied moderate boosting rubber is lively, very tacky. After tackiness goes away plays fun. The top sheet of Battle Gold reminds me delicate top sheet of Hurricane 8 but a bit more durable. Once you wash the rubber it becomes tacky again. So it perfect competitor for H3, for spin, touch and etc. So H40 Battle 2 Gold is not a brick. Playable right from the pack, no need to mess around with oils.

On the speed side, say on the left you have slowest H3, but on the right you have fastest STN, then Battle is somewhat below STN. It does not have cake sponge. The sponge is solid. Spin is crazy. I love sending FH kill shots with it.                     

On the blind test you would never ever guess it is H40. Feels like H38, but explodes like H40. Factory boosting magic.

The throw angle is more difficult to describe. The only comment I can me here, it is comfortably safe. It depends on the blade too. In my experience, Neo is throwing higher, while normal H3 - lower.

I love trying out rubbers and blades but Battle 2 Gold keeps coming back to FH of my main blade. I am currently at 4th sheet in a row. One sheet of Battle 2 Gold lasts 92 - 100 hours of play. After that mark, top sheet is not so grippy any more. I think it becomes thinner, because pimples become very prominent. I wear down Battle2 in 8 - 10 weeks.

729 nailed it with this rubber. Please note that I tried regular Battle 2, it is not the same. Xiom Omega V Asia is considered serious rubber. I would give away Asia 5 sheet for Battle 2 Gold any time, even though price of battle is twice cheaper.

My friend used to smile at me when I suggest him to get Battle 2 Gold. He resisted for maybe 2-3 months. Then he got one to try and ended up keeping it (put his T05h away). Clap Not my fault.

Yinhe Jupiter 2 H38 is a good attempt to clone H3Neo commercial. I think they over boosted it. I was not opinionated about Yinhe. Gave Jupiter 2 a good 78 hours of play (without changing it) as main BH rubber. I keep my training log. So Jupiter 2 had enough time to open up and reveal itself. I think I found it's sweet spot. It shines on the powerful brushing strokes, top sheet is very capable of spinning the ball. I absolutely hated a short chop / push game with Jupiter 2.
Is the gold version "purple sponge"?
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2021 at 7:23pm
Yes, brown purple, strange color
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2021 at 2:01am
What is the weight of Battle 2 gold? I have a Battle 2 blue and I do like it, but it's heavy at 50g. H3 blue @ 40deg is 46g cut to Viscaria head shape and I actually like the arc of H3 blue better. If Battle 2 gold is more like it then it would be a top choice.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2021 at 5:59am
When cut into 150x157 shake hand blade it wights 50g If you leave an edge when cutting may be 51. 
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2021 at 8:36am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

I can tell you that Yinhe Big Dipper is supposedly boosted but is in fact slow like DHS H3Neo unboosted. I wouldn't trust any Yinhe rubber to be faster than H3 Neo. (I tried big dipper 40 and 38. )

Also, boosting is necessary with H3Neo. You will have too much of a handicap without it, and injure your shoulder. H3N 40deg will be slow even with boosting. in my experience the best booster for H3N turns out to be Johnson's baby oil. Better than Haifu Seamoon. (haven't tried falco). Best results with hardness 39, less good on 40. You need to remove the glue before applying booster, especially baby oil, or it will take days to dry.

If you want a rubber that , unboosted, is similar to boosted H3Neo, try Hurricane 8. It's faster, more elastic, like an H3N boosted with two layers, but unfortunately it has less grip. But that is not necessaily a bad thing. (because H3Neo is so grippy and high throw that the ball often flies too much upwards and is very spin sensitive). I tried H8 40, and it has a different feel than H3N 40. the sponge is soft like H3N 38-39, but it's more dense, so it feels different. As I said, it's faster than H3N by 20%, while still a lot slower than MXP. Cheers

maybe you would like "palio hk1997 golden cake sponge".

Edited by astaroyd - 05/26/2021 at 7:17pm
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

When cut into 150x157 shake hand blade it wights 50g If you leave an edge when cutting may be 51. 

I actually went ahead and got a golden version. On a Viscaria head it's 46.6g for me with a bit of an edge. That is pretty much the same as by BS H3 national and in fact it plays very similar too. Maybe the H3 is a touch more transparent and crisp, but the battle 2 has better spin control and is more forgiving.

I had prov orange, blue sponge and now golden battle 2, and all of them had very consistent topsheet, but from all of these the golden feels the best by far.  It can be had around 30USD from ali and for that money it's almost a no brainer.

I do have a 40deg Big dipper incoming, I wonder if that is similar too. I did play with a 38deg Big dipper before and it is a great rubber, it was my gateway to tacky chinese rubbers from ESN and Japanese ones on forehand. But nowdays I feel 38 deg is just too soft and unstable, especially unstable for underspin loopkills. While a 40deg battle 2 or hurricane is nice and if I'm in position I can loopkill anything.

tl;dr battle 2 golden is awesome

fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2021 at 9:34pm
Such a big difference in weight can be explained if my blade is not 150x157. It's probably larger. Last three sheets of battle 2 gold where pretty consistent at 50g cut.

Anyway, glad you liked. You are not the only one !
waingro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waingro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2021 at 5:09pm
Jupiter 2 38deg is a very good rubber for the price. It feels like more of a hybrid to me, and doesn't require technique change from euro rubbers. Weight is 47g cut (with the factory glue, 45g without). Topsheet is thin and tackiness is light-to-medium. If you don't use protector sheets, I think it'll just turn into a nice grippy rubber. Throw angle is high on a Sanwei Fextra blade. The sponge responds strongly to boosting with baby oil. Photo is after 2 layers. 

UPDATE: I want to clarify that the rubber is playable with the same technique as Euro/Jap rubbers, but the spin & arc will be weak. This rubber still requires Chinese full-arm brushing stroke to get decent spin.

Edited by waingro - 11/28/2021 at 6:37pm
zhuangcorp7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhuangcorp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2021 at 10:33pm
What is difference between Jupiter 2 and Big Dipper? They seem to occupy a similar stylistic role in forehand rubber. 
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2021 at 5:45am
Be careful boosting Yinhe rubbers, they seem to be more susceptible to bubbling compared to DHS or 729 rubbers. I've not tried boosting for many years though, they may have improved their gluing.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2021 at 7:36am
Originally posted by zhuangcorp7 zhuangcorp7 wrote:

What is difference between Jupiter 2 and Big Dipper? They seem to occupy a similar stylistic role in forehand rubber. 

I got q couple of j2 samples, and they're  not tuned.

Dipper is for sure tuned, but if you get an older sheet the tuner can be gone.

Edited by cole_ely - 10/12/2021 at 7:37am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2021 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by waingro waingro wrote:

Jupiter 2 38deg is a very good rubber for the price. It feels like more of a hybrid to me, and doesn't require technique change from euro rubbers. Weight is 47g cut (with the factory glue, 45g without). Topsheet is thin and tackiness is light-to-medium. If you don't use protector sheets, I think it'll just turn into a nice grippy rubber. Throw angle is high on a Sanwei Fextra blade. The sponge responds strongly to boosting with baby oil. Photo is after 2 layers. 

did the rubber uncurve after couple days?

Edited by Egghead - 10/13/2021 at 7:24pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
waingro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waingro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2021 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by zhuangcorp7 zhuangcorp7 wrote:

According to TT Maximum, Jupiter is softer (at same degree), slower, and lighter weight than Big Dipper. 

Edited by waingro - 10/14/2021 at 10:12pm
waingro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waingro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2021 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

did the rubber uncurve after couple days?
I glued it like that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic