FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

SG blade for testing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SG_Blades View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SG_Blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SG blade for testing
    Posted: 05/25/2021 at 11:23am
To all,

I will send out 1 of the Balsa / Ipe / Black Limba blades for testing and feedback to a few individuals.  All I ask is that you write up a brief review that includes:

1. the fit and finish of the blade which includes how the handle feels in your hand
  2. speed of the blade (do you rate it All+, Off-, or Off)
  3. your overall impressions of the blade
  4. a pic of it with your rubbers if possible
  5. whether or not you would recommend it
I would rate this blade as either Off- or Off, but would like to hear your feedback.  

Thanks,
SG 

Edited by SG_Blades - 06/03/2021 at 12:46pm
Sponsored Links

SG_Blades View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SG_Blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2021 at 12:48pm
I had a 2200+ player hit with this balsa blade and his comment was he could see himself playing with this blade.  Please let me know if you'd like to test it out and I'll be glad to send it to you.

Thanks,
SG
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2021 at 11:08pm
Follow: Instagram AY_TTJUNKIE for photos and more info. Will post initial review soon 
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2021 at 5:37am
After playing w this blade for a full month (2x-3x a week/ 2-4 hour sessions) I am confident to give a small review.

Offensive blade 

Rubbers progression: FH-BH: Yinhe Mercury II - HARD (test rubbers) | BH: Dignics 09c | FH: H3 Neo 39 deg (used then boosted, seamoon 1 layer) | BH Dignics 05 | FH: H3 Neo 39deg (baby oil)

Those are my rubber progression to get an idea what the blades need. People really sleep on Yinhe Mercury II ($6-7 rubbers), they’re my STARTING POINT rubbers in terms of TESTING. [They’re not as tacky as H3 / Not as dead as H3 / Not as bouncy as tensors or butterfly rubbers/ they play like Japanese rubbers, once broken in they’re more MEDIUM] From here this allows me to understand the blades speed, touch, etc. 

SPECS: Blade is 5.5 mm light balsa core, medial plies of Ipe wood, an outer plies of Black Limba. The weight is 85-87g 

The designer never got back with blade face but judging it’s shape and how my rubbers were fitting I say 151x155 or 156. Slightly compact. 

This blade is THICCC 

Initial impression: Black Limba looks great. Handle does not look uniformed but personally it gives it that “custom” feel. Although, many EJs may not like it as BUTTERFLY has trained our minds to care about designs vs actual playing characteristics.

Very balanced in the hands, with heavier rubbers it does slight lean towards being head heavy. After 4 hours of play, my hand does slightly FATIGUED and maybe due to the blade dimensions, I also noticed certain follow through OPENING shots in the BH allows the wrist for a WHIPPING MOTION. (Maybe due to wider wings)

Very clear contact point without unnecessary vibrations. In terms of feel - 
5 ply wood > THICCC BOI > composites

Speed/gear: 
This blade has a high SPEED:SPIN ratio, meaning it’s fast gear loses a lot of spin, possible due to less dwell from the BALSA. 
Slow shots may have its own pace, and too fast of a shot WITHOUT BRUSHING catapults it off the table or directly into the net. 

Took awhile to get used to the GEARS as sometimes I end up engaging the BALSA too much on certain shots - even after 4 weeks of play 

Throw angle: 
This blade has a low throw angle when engaging PAST THE RUBBERS (possibly due to stiffness) ; high throw with slower shots 

Drive: 
I enjoy this blade for this shot especially with a slightly open blade face and committed forward follow up. Again the feedback shines in this department. 

The less flex due to thickness helps maintain a solid controllable trajectory 

Block: 
Drive transition to block, I think this blade excels in this department. IF YOU BLOCK ACTIVELY (FORWARD MOTION) you would like the added power from this blade when engaging the BALSA

Opening loop:
Very very spinny when brush looping , again with a very low throw angle after it’s bounce (hard for opponents to black). Almost all my SLOW openings were difficult for opponents to block.  

Power looping/3rd ball:
This is a bread and butter for me. I think this blade requires good BRUSH CONTACT. Softer rubbers will be horrible for this blade.

At the table push/touch/flip:
On the table this blade is controllable but only if you’re committed to it. This was the shots I struggled with the most for this blade, as I kept engaging the BALSA POP too much. 

Although I did end up using it to my advantage by letting the blade pop up my pushes and have opponents loop or power loop only to get blocked.

Serves:
Service with this blade surprised me. On heavy underspin serves, the balsa allows for softer contact, while the balsa gives it momentum to move forward past the next. I don’t think i had any service error at all with this blade due to softness and feedback 

In conclusion:
I give the blade a 7/10. My biggest concern with the blade was the blade face. The smaller top, really changed the balance on how I executed my shots, especially on the BH. If the designers blade this blade 151x158 or 152x159 would take the balsa and slow it down allowing more spin and dwell to really load it up. As a looper the thickness and lack of flex doesn’t help me either, and was forced to brush a lot on the forehand and power through on the BH. This blade may work for PIPS players though. 
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
SG_Blades View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SG_Blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2021 at 1:47pm
Thanks for the review Mon22.  We have made some slight changes to the 2nd generation version of these balsa blades.  The balsa core thickness is now only about 4.8 - 5.1.  This thinner core of balsa will add a little more control while reducing the overall thickness a little.  In addition, after consulting other blade makers we now use a different glue.  The glue we now use is lighter and faster and it helps the blade come alive a little more.  

This 2nd generation blade feels much better in terms of dwell and speed.  We will take your dimensions for the blade face into consideration.

Thanks again for testing,
SG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic