Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timo Boll tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timo Boll tips
    Posted: 07/02/2021 at 8:03am

For the unbelievers, check out tip 3 which Timo shows how he closes the racket angle during contact LOL
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2021 at 10:42am
Super info.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2021 at 11:41am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2021 at 12:44pm
Really hope more members can subscribe to TB's YouTube channel. 
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2021 at 5:29am
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2021 at 7:59am
Hi,

Oh come on! Give me a break!  What's the big deal here?  Mjamja has been, for years, bombarding this forum on the virtues of abdominal tension.  He won't shut up about it.  Just think of all the times his postings include this tip.

On a personal note, my association with the video is also profound: my edge tape usage is exactly the same as Timo Boll's!  How many can say that?!

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2021 at 9:19am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

Oh come on! Give me a break!  What's the big deal here?  Mjamja has been, for years, bombarding this forum on the virtues of abdominal tension.  He won't shut up about it.  Just think of all the times his postings include this tip.

On a personal note, my association with the video is also profound: my edge tape usage is exactly the same as Timo Boll's!  How many can say that?!

Thanks.

Lmao... abdominal tension is such a weird ass term for bracing the core LOL is it some sort of German language thing?
-------
Viscaria

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2021 at 2:18pm
In his slow mo of the technique, does his paddle even wrap around the ball?! I see he opens before swinging, though his paddle angle doesn't do a whole lot of pronation. 

His incorrect examples make more sense, in that you can see the bad angles at the start and bad follow through. I guess the real life application is so small in execution making it harder to detect, but easy to see when someone is doing it badly. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2021 at 12:26am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

In his slow mo of the technique, does his paddle even wrap around the ball?! I see he opens before swinging, though his paddle angle doesn't do a whole lot of pronation. 

His incorrect examples make more sense, in that you can see the bad angles at the start and bad follow through. I guess the real life application is so small in execution making it harder to detect, but easy to see when someone is doing it badly. 

Yeah it's a subtle movement, just a slight closing of the angle at contact...
-------
Viscaria

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2021 at 12:39am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

I think Don misunderstood my posting about abdominal tension.  I was referring to my tendency to throw up before any important match.  I am sure Timo is talking about something different.

Mark - Who has had to quit having Taco Bell Burrito Supremes with extra guacamole before his matches.  Now it is strained pears or apple sauce from Gerber.

Edited by mjamja - 07/04/2021 at 12:40am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2021 at 4:16am
Mark,

The owner of Triangle TTC, when he ran a club in DC area (at the Volleyball place) ate some serious quantity of Popeye's Chicken 30 minutes before matchtime in a tourney...

... as expected, he didn't exactly perform his best.

HASHTAG #Popeye's Kryptonite
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2021 at 6:54am
I was referring to my tendency to throw up before any important match. 

Prior to important games, the Basketball Hall of Famer Bill Russell would throw up.  That you continue to insist on implicit name dropping, associating your athletic engagements with the best that ever lived is unseemly.  [No, on your best day you cannot take Xu Xin to deuce.]  But the followers of your postings are on to you, so you can cease and desist.  As I was instructed so eloquently in my youth: "Don't get the big head!"

Continuing my surveillance.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
Rich-TT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rich-TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2021 at 9:04am
About a year ago I thought about that angle thing Timo is explaining and changed exactly what he said. I know that before I'd on the backswing keep the racket pretty closed, this made me make the mistake Timo is explaining. I'd have to open the racket on the forward swing to compensate (if I happened to close it too much on the backswing, which happened most of the time). It's much easier to go from open to closed and I see every top player doing exactly that. No top player that I've seen start with a closed racket and open it during the swing, it's always the other way round. Though I've never thought of it as consciously closing the angle on the forward swing, it just happens automatically as a result from the body movement/rotation. And the reason opening the racket during the swing would be more inconsistent would be because the body mechanics wouldn't allow for the racket opening, it's something you'd have to consciously do with your arm and would go against what the body is doing, therefore it doesn't work well.

I believe the backswing is the only conscious thing you do with your arm and if you backswing with the wrong perspective the forward swing will also be messed up. Though I'm not sure it's a good idea to consciously open the racket much on the backswing either.. it should be natural and not forced. I'm also not sure it's a good idea to consciously close the angle on contact, that closing will just happen automatically if the mechanics prior to the contact were correct.

In my FH loops here, am I "wrapping"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlJrohhjHU4
For my training partners smash at 0:23 you can see his racket is maybe a tiny bit closed or neutral at the start and goes to way closed after contact. Is that wrapping?

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 3:27am
Wanted to write in more detail, but it's too much of a hassle. To keep it short, motion capture is necessary to "visualize" pronation/supination and radial/ulnar deviation, namely through joint angular velocity, in addition to joint angle that was discussed in the links below.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73224&PID=899704&title=topspin-contactball#899704
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78199&PID=967094&title=hitting-then-grasping-ball-looping#967094
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81091&PID=1006620&title=pronation-supination#1006620

Edited by zeio - 07/05/2021 at 3:31am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 5:02am
I just want to point out that the "keep low stance" tip doesn't work for short fellows. To the contrary, you need to stay as high as possible Wink

bh countering a loop at the height of your face is not pleasant, trust me. :)

Edited by seguso - 07/05/2021 at 5:06am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic