FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Did I ruin this Tenergy80 rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnishB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnishB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did I ruin this Tenergy80 rubber?
    Posted: 08/05/2021 at 2:34pm
Hey everyone! I was re-gluing some not-too-old T80 rubber onto an older paddle but wanted to take the old glue off it first. I poured more glue on it, let it dry, then tried to peel it off as I have done before. But it turned out horribly, with tons of chunks taken out (see below). Is this still playable?
chunks out of rubber
Sponsored Links

Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 4:42pm
You may test it but this is far beyond what would be acceptable, to be honest that picture left be horrified Confused
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 4:53pm
Do you know what the original glue used was?

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 5:00pm
So you picked an end of glue with your finger nails, pulled what you could from it and did it again until you had no more glue on the sponge. You ended up with plenty of little holes because each time you picked, your nails tore a bit of sponge along.

That happens when you did not put enough additional glue. Your description fits great what you should have been doing and had you put enough glue on top of what you already had, the whole thing should have detached itself from the sponge in one piece, by going very slow (it's quite satisfying).

You still can use your rubber, you won't notice a difference. I understand your frustration though, you will think about it again and again until the end of the rubber but you should not worry and just play normally, you won't know the little holes are there. You might see little difference in color and/or a slightly uneven surface around the holes but again the incidence on play will be negligible.

Depending the glue you are using and how thick the coat of glue is when you start the process, it might be more difficult. My best experience is by far with Tear Mender. I recommend you buy a small bottle of it to practice on an old rubber.

Above all: we all prefer the thinnest coats of glue to attach the rubbers but we should be very generous when we "unprime" them.

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

So you picked an end of glue with your finger nails, pulled what you could from it and did it again until you had no more glue on the sponge. You ended up with plenty of little holes because each time you picked, your nails tore a bit of sponge along.

That happens when you did not put enough additional glue. Your description fits great what you should have been doing and had you put enough glue on top of what you already had, the whole thing should have detached itself from the sponge in one piece, by going very slow (it's quite satisfying).

You still can use your rubber, you won't notice a difference. I understand your frustration though, you will think about it again and again until the end of the rubber but you should not worry and just play normally, you won't know the little holes are there. You might see little difference in color and/or a slightly uneven surface around the holes but again the incidence on play will be negligible.

Depending the glue you are using and how thick the coat of glue is when you start the process, it might be more difficult. My best experience is by far with Tear Mender. I recommend you buy a small bottle of it to practice on an old rubber.

Above all: we all prefer the thinnest coats of glue to attach the rubbers but we should be very generous when we "unprime" them.

Have you done that successfully with a tenergy rubber? 
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 5:21pm
Yes, you ruined it.  Time to buy a new sheet.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 5:46pm
yes, Tenergy or  the soft bluefire series that has a sponge even more fragile than Tenergy.
AnishB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnishB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 6:17pm
I've only ever used water based glue (paddle palace ez pro I believe) so it must've been that. The original glue was done a couple years ago, but the rubber had only maybe 4 months of regular (2-3 sessions/week) play. Not sure why the original glue stuck so much and didn't peel properly.
AnishB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnishB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 6:20pm
Thanks for the info. Surprisingly, I used a lot of glue. And I mean A LOT. I put more glue on, tried to peel, and when it wouldn't peel off slowly in a sheet as it should, I stopped and added more glue again. In total probably 6x the amount of glue used normally.

Just prior to this I had successfully peeled glue off a T64 sheet with much less glue. Strange... perhaps the age of the glue on this sheet made it more difficult.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 7:15pm
yes, that could be the main factor, I am not sure about the differences in hardness/hard2remove characteristics between clues when they age but I can imagine one harder to peel off after years but… I have no data on that, peeling too often Big smile

Edited by stiltt - 08/05/2021 at 7:16pm
AnishB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnishB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 7:19pm
Is peeling old glue off (say 1-2 layers) even necessary? Any noticeable difference in performance for soft-sponge rubbers?
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2021 at 8:13pm
Couple of good glue coats might make it a bit more playable and stable. Does look a bit hacked to be honest. 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2021 at 9:27pm
if you have a OCD you won't be able to sleep at night n play haha
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2021 at 9:25am
tell us if it works ok
AnishB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnishB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2021 at 5:06pm
Tried playing with it but the rubber seemed very dead. I'm not sure what the correct terminology is, but it seemed to have lost its bounce. Also seemed pretty inconsistent, considering how patchy the sponge is now. At least it wasn't my primary sheet!

Considering how much glue I put on the sheet before attempting to peel it, the only explanation for the failure in peeling I think might be the age of the sheet. Though it wasn't worn out by use, the rubber was laying dormant for a couple years which might have affected the softness of the sponge. I probably could have glued it again without trying to peel off the old glue, but oh well. Lesson learned.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2021 at 7:47pm
Can you find a Hurricane friend who uses a quality booster and test whether or not you can revive it and play without feeling anything weird from the holes?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2021 at 8:39pm
Sell that sucka for $2 USD and a promise of a chicken dinner... that is ur best hope.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
AnishB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnishB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2021 at 4:11pm
@stiltt : I don't know anyone who has booster but if/when I try it I'll update this post!
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2021 at 4:22pm
Can you tell what glue you used? I would appreciate, so I can stay clear from it.
Actually a good method to remove if you can't just peel it off in one piece is to put booster on the glue. It will make it softer and more liquidy. (if you don't have booster I guess baby oil would do as well)

To re-use this sponge, you need to use some thick glue to fill the holes. After that dries you can can stick it to a bat.

Peeling off 1-2 layers of old glue is not necessary unless you are a weight freak like many of us. That glue can be 1-2g extra per side.

Edit: Just noticed you used Paddle Palace EZ Pro. I have no idea who manaufactures this glue and as an European it have very little chance to get in contact with it.

Edited by Zwill - 08/20/2021 at 4:30pm
Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2021 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by AnishB AnishB wrote:

Hey everyone! I was re-gluing some not-too-old T80 rubber onto an older paddle but wanted to take the old glue off it first. I poured more glue on it, let it dry, then tried to peel it off as I have done before. But it turned out horribly, with tons of chunks taken out (see below). Is this still playable?
chunks out of rubber
This has happened to me quite a lot of times, even with the best of glues (Revolution No 3). More specifically to T80 and even other tenergy series rubbers too. Anything that has a porous/cake sponge basically - whether it be Donic or Joola. 
I have assembled a lot of paddles throughout the years and what I think I know why this happens. There are two main reasons for this -
1. The glue has a strong adhesion property and it just goes deeper into the sponge pores than it should
2. Even when a good quality glue is used (like Revolution no 3), this can happen when the sheet has been on the blade for a long time (think > 6 months). 

What I have been following as a practice ever since is -
1. Reglue rubbers every 4-6 weeks or so with high quality glue
2. Apply at least 3 layers on the rubber and 2 on the ply, all thin layers, to make it easier for the glue to come off in one go

As long as a good quality glue is supple and stretchy and has not been between the sheet and the blade for a long time, you should be able to cleanly remove it from the rubber (of any kind) without harming the sponge much. 

Now, coming to reviving this T80 - which is something I had to do when I landed in a similar spot sometime back - your best bet is to try a very thin layer of Falco Tempo Long booster on it. Make sure that you apply as thin of a layer as possible, otherwise, tenergy series tends to become an uncontrollable monster. Word of caution here though - your revived T80 will not play 100% same as the original T80 by any means. If you use this as a backup paddle and are set on the feel of T80, this revived rubber would feel off for sure. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
AnishB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnishB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2021 at 8:02pm
Thanks for all the information and tips!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic