Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

select a viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
garfields2008 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfields2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: select a viscaria
    Posted: 08/25/2021 at 2:18pm
Does anyone think there is a difference between FL viscaria at 88g and 93g? I stopped at a local store and they have three viscaria to choose from:

1. 88g viscaria yellow KOTO, 5.7mm;
2. 90g viscaria white KOTO, 5.8mm;
3. 93g viscaria yellow KOTO, 5.8mm.

I never used viscaria before and want to try one. I was using a 87g Maze carbon for the past few years. For anyone who is familiar with viscaria, which one would you choose? Thanks!
Sponsored Links

SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 2:54pm
If you are looking for something different from M. Maze, I would go for #3. The heavy power Viscaria.
 It's also kind of a rare weight, nowadays. 
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by garfields2008 garfields2008 wrote:

Does anyone think there is a difference between FL viscaria at 88g and 93g? I stopped at a local store and they have three viscaria to choose from:

I never used viscaria before and want to try one. I was using a 87g Maze carbon for the past few years. For anyone who is familiar with viscaria, which one would you choose? Thanks!
M.Maze and Viscaria have slightly different playing characteristics. I have played with them both and I wouldn't really consider them interchangeable as such.
That being said, Viscaria is one of the best blades that I have played with. So you cannot go wrong in choosing a Viscaria for a strong power looping game from both the ends. Also, viscaria tends to be optimal above the 89gms weight range, usually. To choose between #2 and #3, i would recommend picking up the one that has more fishscales on it. Fishscale surface is a sure shot sign of a great viscaria. Between 90 and 93 gms, you would definitely loose a bit of power with the 90gm version but if it does have fishscales on it, you would definitely have a better hand feel and sweet spot on it than the other one.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfields2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 4:15pm
I am not sure about the total weight of your viscaria with rubbers. But the rubbers I use is MXP an ELP, which is ~100g. The total weight of 190g is really on the high end... I will see how it will feel on Friday but my previous maze has only ~176g with Donic rubber lol.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 4:23pm

I am not sure about the total weight of your viscaria with rubbers. But the rubbers I use is MXP an ELP, which is ~100g. The total weight of 190g is really on the high end... I will see how it will feel on Friday but my previous maze has only ~176g with Donic rubber lol.
I usually prefer slightly heavier rackets anyways so I ended up liking heavy blades (nothing beyond 92-93 gms though). One way might be to change the rubbers a bit and go for slightly lighter rubbers. Tibhar evolution series are on the heavier side. You might want to try something lighter in case the weight bothers you. Going with a lighter Viscaria has more downsides to it and thus I wouldn't recommend anything under 89gms anyways. I have used a 87 gm viscaria before and it wasn't as good as the one that I have currently (Which is close to 90-91gm range). One way to not feel so much weight on the racket is to add some sort of grip on the handle to balance out your overall racket a bit. I feel like that helps with the overall head heaviness of the combo.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfields2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 4:55pm
Thanks for your suggestion. Do you have any recommendation on rubbers which are similar to evolution? I tried to avoid DHS rubbers for now lol... I weighted my Donic it was around 45g each, that is may be because they are already 10 yrs old. so I didnt know nowadays the rubbers can be 50g+ on single side lol. Or as you mentioned may be Thibar is on the heavy side. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 5:16pm

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you have any recommendation on rubbers which are similar to evolution? I tried to avoid DHS rubbers for now lol... I weighted my Donic it was around 45g each, that is may be because they are already 10 yrs old. so I didnt know nowadays the rubbers can be 50g+ on single side lol. Or as you mentioned may be Thibar is on the heavy side. 

There is a thread here somewhere about the mass of uncut rubbers. That would probably be a good place to start to find lighter rubbers. I have been playing with heavier rubbers for so long that I have completely forgotten which rubbers are light LOLLOLLOL

Which Donic rubbers were you using before? Some of the tensors are not as heavy as the evolution series. Probably some from the Joola/Andro/Donic series might be good ones to try. Not many rubbers out there that match the performance of MX-P though. MX-P is a thing of beauty. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 5:31pm
Andro Rasanter V42 or R42 2mm is light, maybe around 42g for a viscaria
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 5:33pm

Personally, I prefer the yellow Koto. The white ones just look fragile and (cheap, not in a bad way). I would pick 3 for the weight and the yellow koto.
 Surprised to hear that there is still local tt store, maybe at a club?
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfields2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 5:51pm
Thanks. Yeah it is a local table tennis club with a store selling some blades and rubbers. I am so surprised there is no table tennis store like those skiing stores here in the US.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfields2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 5:52pm
I was using Xiom Omiga II forehand and Donic Coppa for backhand. They are not existed now in market...
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 6:49pm
To pick a rubber, it really depends on your style and rating. elp 2.0 mm won't be too heavy, 
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfields2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2021 at 7:04pm
It is around 46g - 49g after cutting.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2021 at 8:45am
I have had multiple viscarias of above wt including custom ones. They are all good with minor differences in playing characteristics.  Looks like you are a looper enjoying heavy powerful spiny rubbers. Then the 90 gram one would be your best bet. 93 gram and above would be great for pips. Where is the store located? What year was the 93 gram one made? Is the top koto yellow color due to aging? I am using pips on my BH now. I would be interested in the 93 gram one if you decide not to buy it.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfields2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2021 at 11:26am
can you tell me how to tell if the top koto yellow color due to aging or something else?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2021 at 12:31pm
the letter before the serial no might give some clues about the production year or simply ask the owner. The color changes slowly but surely as time goes by.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2021 at 12:32pm
and of course, glues change the color too.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfields2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2021 at 12:54pm
This is definitely a new product because it has U series number. But it is new so it doesnt have glue. You can check paddlepalace first and ask if they have heavy VIS - they usually can select one for you. If they dont juts DM me, may be I can mail to you directly. 
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2021 at 4:41pm
butterflyonline at Bowmar Sports in Raleigh NC lists 26 Viscarias in stock. Normally, the weight is written on the box. Call them and ask what weights are available.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garfields2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2021 at 5:03pm
check the comment above. 
Their number is: (252) 291-4770.
I am sure they have a 90+ Vascaria. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic