Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Attaching thin sponge base to OX pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attaching thin sponge base to OX pips
    Posted: 09/01/2021 at 10:42am
Need some advice in how to do this. Glue sheets, water based glue, rubber cement ?
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by TwiddleDee TwiddleDee wrote:

Need some advice in how to do this. Glue sheets, water based glue, rubber cement ?

When gluing the topsheet, I put a tin can on each corner to keep it down until it dries.  If it's a really thin base sheet

Edited by cole_ely - 09/01/2021 at 11:26am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Rinforzando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinforzando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 11:58am
Blade: Nblades power plant 1 ply Hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 1:40pm
Do you have the blade with you? I believe my friend glue the spong to the blade first, then glue the top sheet to the blade. my friend just tests the LP for something so don't know this way makes any difference.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 2:47pm
I appreciate all the feedback thus far. My main question is what type of glue works the best. So far, it could be that the best glue to use is Revolution 3. 
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

When gluing the topsheet, I put a tin can on each corner to keep it down until it dries.  If it's a really thin base sheet

I use masking tape with rubber cement. The corners of a new sheet will get trimmed off, so you can be pretty aggressive with the tape placement. Cole's surely done a lot more of this than I have, so cans may be a better way.

Re-gluing an OX rubber using rubber cement is a bit trickier. I just use water based in that case.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 4:29pm

I appreciate all the feedback thus far. My main question is what type of glue works the best. So far, it could be that the best glue to use is Revolution 3. 

I think rubber cement would generally make a much more reliable bond than water based glues when adhering rubber sheets to sponge. A glue sheet would probably not work well - especially if it has any kind of plastic "carrier" sheet for the adhesive. And in that case, it may not be legal either. I'd have to check since I don't recall those rules well enough. 

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I think rubber cement would generally make a much more reliable bond than water based glues when adhering rubber sheets to sponge. A glue sheet would probably not work well - especially if it has any kind of plastic "carrier" sheet for the adhesive. And in that case, it may not be legal either. I'd have to check since I don't recall those rules well enough. 

The problem with rubber cement is that it makes the top sheet curl up and therefore difficult to attach to the sponge and a thin sponge might also expand a bit. 
When I used to use medium pips and mixed and matched top sheets and sponges I always used water based clue for this purpose (Donic Vario I believe it was called at the time) whereas otherwise I always use rubber cement.
When I had full squares available for both sponge and top sheet I would glue the top sheet onto the sponge since it doesn’t have to be perfect and then the sandwich to the blade. If I didn’t have the full squares I glued the sponge to the blade and then the top sheet on top of that.

Edited by Matt Pimple - 09/01/2021 at 6:41pm
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

The problem with rubber cement is that it makes the top sheet curl up and therefore difficult to attach to the sponge and a thin sponge might also expand a bit. 
When I used to use medium pips and mixed and matched top sheets and sponges I always used water based clue for this purpose (Donic Vario I believe it was called at the time) whereas otherwise I always use rubber cement.
When I had full squares available for both sponge and top sheet I would glue the top sheet onto the sponge since it doesn’t have to be perfect and then the sandwich to the blade. If I didn’t have the full squares I glued the sponge to the blade and then the top sheet on top of that.

Agree with water based glues!
Although I have successfully attached with rubber cement before; I had to tape down the corners with masking take and wait a while until the glue dries and the rubber flattens again. It is doable but alot of hassle.   
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 7:08pm
I feel like a layer of latex glue might change the properties and make it harder for the ball to sink into the sponge so, like a thin rubber band in the middle

comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 7:31pm

I feel like a layer of latex glue might change the properties and make it harder for the ball to sink into the sponge so, like a thin rubber band in the middle

And it has a risk of separating the topsheet from the sponge if the adhesion between the sponge and the blade is stronger

Like you, I prefer rubber cement. Somehow it has a kind of vulcanising properties, it the sponge-topsheet adhesion is stronger (well, rubber cements are used for the vulcanising process, if not mistaken LOL
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2021 at 8:28pm

Rubber cement also imposes a thin layer of rubber. Rubber cement is just rubber solids dissolved in Heptane or Hexane and possibly some other VOC solvents. So when the solvent evaporates, you are left with a thin layer of rubber. 

The nature or the rubber is different. Rubber cement rubber remains tacky and gooey while the thin layer of latex tends to be more like a contiguous piece of rubber. So it is conceivable that they create a different effect. But I'm not sure one would necessarily be worse than the other.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2021 at 5:28am
 Glue sheets are tricky,I stiffen the ox lp by running 3 strips of low tack masking tape across the tips of the pips which stops wrinkles and air bubbles.
I prefer to use a Zig 2 way glue pen with chisel tip which goes onto the blade not the pips and you let it dry( make a pool with the chisel tip and spread it with an old credit card), another coat and again let it dry ,the beauty of this stuff is that it's tacky when dry so if you make a mistake when attaching the ox lp just peel it off and try again and the glue stays on the blade,again stiffen the pips with tape with this process also.As a pips ej this is great when testing ox lp's for quick interchange of different makes
These are available on e bay or Amazon you'll never look back:

Apologies I gave instructions for ox lp.The zig glue works ok with thin  sponge to attach to blade and attach lp's  on top

Edited by firetack - 09/04/2021 at 5:56pm
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2021 at 6:48am
I used to use the thinner water based glues, like Xiom I-bond, Donic Formula First, etc. These glues are both thinner and stronger, so better suited for gluing an OX sheet to a sponge (or to a blade for that matter. The thicker glued tend to create a thicker layer that's not as smooth, so I avoid them for these types of applications.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2021 at 9:56am
Originally posted by firetack firetack wrote:

Glue sheets are tricky,I stiffen the ox lp by running 3 strips of low tack masking tape across the tips of the pips which stops wrinkles and air bubbles.
I prefer to use a Zig 2 way glue pen with chisel tip which goes onto the blade not the pips and you let it dry( make a pool with the chisel tip and spread it with an old credit card), another coat and again let it dry ,the beauty of this stuff is that it's tacky when dry so if you make a mistake when attaching the ox lp just peel it off and try again and the glue stays on the blade,again stiffen the pips with tape with this process also.As a pips ej this is great when testing ox lp's for quick interchange of different makes
These are available on e bay or Amazon you'll never look back:

Apologies I gave instructions for ox lp.The zig glue works ok with thin  sponge to attach to blade and attach lp's  on top
 interesting idea about the tape I hadn't thought of that. One thing you can always do if you're not in the super hurry. You can glue the outside eedges first. Wait until they're mostly dry like 5 minutes or workable. then go back and do the middle or vice versa. Or you can kind of do it in thirds. Not over a long time but over a period of 15 minutes is okay

Edited by cole_ely - 09/05/2021 at 9:57am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic