Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Chopping with Off+ blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BlackCat510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackCat510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chopping with Off+ blades
    Posted: 09/04/2021 at 12:04pm
Hello everyone, I’ve got a weird post here.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried playing as a Long Pip chopper with Off+ blades? It seems bizarre, but it could possibly work if you chop very far from the table and need an extra boost of power in your chops/fishing and for your killing shots. I have heard of hard, stiff blades being used for lp blocking (a hard surface is helpful for spin reversal), but I haven’t heard of pro choppers using them. 

Could power chopping be the solution for choppers, perhaps?
Blade: Xiom Power Hinoki (J-pen)
Fh: Nittaku Fastarc G1 (Red, 2.0mm)
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2021 at 12:35am
let say you would get some pointa against average intermediate players but when facing an opponent woth much more consistent loops and spin drives, using off+ blades will be a liability. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2021 at 5:47am
I  tried ox lp on Wosik senso carbon and that's the most spin reversal combination from passive blocking that I've had,pip was 388d,however no dwell for chopping.
I then tried  the grippier Tibhar Grass (the original not the d tecs version)which is the slowest ox lp that I know and could make enough backspin when chopping with good control,spin sensitivity is low and with T05 on f/h this blade is a real weapon,sadly the blade is heavier than I can manage as I have some tendinitis in my arm,but I think it is possible with a slow enough lp ,maybe even better with sponge.
I remember Filus using an arylate blade at one time.
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2021 at 6:02am
Originally posted by BlackCat510 BlackCat510 wrote:

Hello everyone, I’ve got a weird post here.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried playing as a Long Pip chopper with Off+ blades? It seems bizarre, but it could possibly work if you chop very far from the table and need an extra boost of power in your chops/fishing and for your killing shots. I have heard of hard, stiff blades being used for lp blocking (a hard surface is helpful for spin reversal), but I haven’t heard of pro choppers using them. 

Could power chopping be the solution for choppers, perhaps?

That kind of set up would only work at long distance. It would be useless at mid and close distance
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2021 at 6:16am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

That kind of set up would only work at long distance. It would be useless at mid and close distance

I use an OFF+ish stiff/hard carbon blade with 0.7mm sponge, and it works fine @ blocking, close to the table, even against power-loops..When it does not, it's probably due to lack in skill and technique..

I think, Manika Batra uses (or used) Timo Boll ZLC, along with D.tecs
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2021 at 8:28pm
If you really want chopping, like decent level chopping, you need an oversized blade. 

You can "chop" with pretty much anything, from Def to Off+, but to chop with control and to land those chops you need a defensive blade + a lot of skill and practice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic