FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

method to feel weight transfer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: method to feel weight transfer
    Posted: 09/27/2021 at 7:44am
Put 100% of your weight on your right leg (left leg is not touching the ground), and do your stroke and then end up landing 100% of your weight on your left leg (right leg not touching the ground). 

When you're comfortable with it then it'll be easy to do it the normal way.

Has anyone tried this method of teaching?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2021 at 6:44pm
There is some modern dance technique in the idea! I like it. I want to try it. Let 's see who does it the best in a personal video. No need of a table but a racket in hand and some proper attire would be nice.

Question: can we extract some goodies from the modern dance barrel jump taught there? I see some serious hips rotation fueled by the legs there; and the upperbody power is phenomenal!

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2021 at 7:39am
Hi,

Among some, weight transfer is vastly overrated in table tennis.  The applicability of weight transfer and its value in stroke mechanism execution are found much more pronounced in many other sports.

The inflection point in the elevation of this perspective came with the essentially open stance of Wang Liqin.  His success remains a dominant influence on this topic.

Speaking of Wang Liqin: For those interested in one of his traits that may be contributory to his success, the following.

Thanks.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 09/29/2021 at 7:46am
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2021 at 1:16pm
Might be easier to learn weight transfer for TT by doing cloud hands.  Slower movements are usually better for learners than faster/more violent movements.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 4:16am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Put 100% of your weight on your right leg (left leg is not touching the ground), and do your stroke and then end up landing 100% of your weight on your left leg (right leg not touching the ground). 

a thoughtful suggestion:

I think you’ll find good coaches use all kinds of ideas to commmunicate weight transfer including the above because different pupils respond in their own way to coaches teaching. There is never just one way to teach everybody successfully
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 8:40am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

a thoughtful suggestion:

I think you’ll find good coaches use all kinds of ideas to communicate weight transfer including the above because different pupils respond in their own way to coaches teaching. There is never just one way to teach everybody successfully
That's so true. I always think the teacher's hardest work is to find a way to pass the message to the student. If the conventional - easy - way works on one person and not the other, it does not mean than the former is more intelligent than the latter, just that the teacher forcing a way  to the latter was not appropriate given the person's receptive capabilities.
A ping pong example is how to teach fh and bh simple driving, I helped a few almost from scratch and some were more comfortable close to the table in a blocking style while others preferred more time to drive and wanted to play further. I thought either was fine as long as they enjoy themselves and that they are aware they'll need to know both. From a shy player, they'll open their wings like an eagle takes their fly and learn looping away later or from the dreams of their eagle debuts, they'll have to learn to go to battle like warriors close to the table. All ways lead to Rome! (a.k.a we got to know it all)

Of course a one to one education is a luxury and group lessons in all disciplines force the teachers to adopt a standard that's not the best for some students, I am sure the idea is out there, the memes picturing a fish climbing a tree come to mind Tongue.

Edited by stiltt - 09/30/2021 at 8:48am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 9:28am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

Among some, weight transfer is vastly overrated in table tennis.  The applicability of weight transfer and its value in stroke mechanism execution are found much more pronounced in many other sports.

The inflection point in the elevation of this perspective came with the essentially open stance of Wang Liqin.  His success remains a dominant influence on this topic.

Speaking of Wang Liqin: For those interested in one of his traits that may be contributory to his success, the following.

Thanks.

I remember reading that in your book. I would agree that a lot of weight transfer will be inherently  off-balance. I was surprised to  read it at the time.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2021 at 9:29pm
Interesting perspectives.... 

There seems to be a lot of ways to skin the cat.

I've also seen someone teach the stroke by asking a person to throw a ball as far away as possible - I think most ppl will instinctively use weight transfer for that. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic